Going Anywhere for Christmas?

Ukigirl

11 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Nice stone crabs!  I try to snatch some when in the Keys from the same supplier as Joe's in Miami Beach.  Where do you get yours from? 

We get them from a seafood place here in town.  They don't always have them. What place in the keys do you get them from?  We lived in Marathon for many years Keys Fisheries?

Edited by molly361

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

We get them from a seafood place here in town.  They don't always have them. What place in the keys do you get them from?  We lived in Marathon for many years

My sister has a house in Marathon and I go down there often.  If I posted the name here on CC, she wouldn't let me stay there any longer.  If I ever run into you on a cruise, I'll be happy to tell you. 

• Like 1

Staying put.  Covid worse then ever now.  And will explode after Christmas/New Years.  I do not think it is wise to co-mingle with friends or family.  If one person has been exposed, via shopping etc.  The entire family could be at risk- especially those over 50 or with comorbidity issues-  

Yesterday was my Birthday- and my adult children left presents on our porch- we face timed and also waved from the window.  Better to live for another Christmas without making somebody sick-or die.

• Like 8

I'm not sure what we will be doing.  My son and his wife are just now recovering from Covid and by Christmas may be at the point where it's safe to be around them, if not we'll just be alone.

In the past we always host a big family party the weekend before Christmas and we are always alone on Christmas Day so we usually go to a movie - but we won't be doing that this year either.

We just got back from 5 days, 4 nights in Bahamas/Spanish wells and spent one day in Deerfield beach.  A little cold but it was very nice.  Everyone was wearing masks except when eating or on beach.  I didn't see a lot of crowds.  Both places were ghost towns.  It was a PIA with coordinating the bahamas health visa, covid test and flight but all went well.  

• Like 2

I've got a big piece of brisket I stuck in the freezer, needs to be cooked and will add some pinto beans and cole slaw. Mom usually makes deviled eggs and a pie and we always have ice cream on hand for those who want it. I plan to slow cook the brisket at 225 degrees for about 15 hours and start the day before we eat. 5 of us, my parents and sister and brother in law. We have all still been meeting for special occasions and having a meal together as usual. ...and I'd say all 5 of us could be considered at risk. 

My beach vacation will be sometime after xmas, possibly after vaccination before I venture out. ..though cold weather makes me want to cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Staying home with immediate family.  Actually, same as we do every year.  Once, when I was in high school, we spent two weeks over Christmas/ New Years at our condo in Sanibel, FL.  Didn't seem like Christmas walking on the beach in shorts and T-shirts!  Since then we've stayed home in the cold & snow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Staying put.  Covid worse then ever now.  And will explode after Christmas/New Years.  I do not think it is wise to co-mingle with friends or family.  If one person has been exposed, via shopping etc.  The entire family could be at risk- especially those over 50 or with comorbidity issues-  

Yesterday was my Birthday- and my adult children left presents on our porch- we face timed and also waved from the window.  Better to live for another Christmas without making somebody sick-or die.

Well said. That’s the only thing that’s going to bring down the numbers and help with the heavy burden on the hospitals and the highly affected doctors and nurses (and other medical workers). So many of them have died for no good reason at all. So sad. The vaccine of course will really help, but until then people just keep making the deaths go up for unnecessary visiting. 🤬

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Well said. That’s the only thing that’s going to bring down the numbers and help with the heavy burden on the hospitals and the highly affected doctors and nurses (and other medical workers). So many of them have died for no good reason at all. So sad. The vaccine of course will really help, but until then people just keep making the deaths go up for unnecessary visiting. 🤬

I will play devil's advocate. The other side of the coin being alone ( 92 y/o FIL) who we see mentally declining because of this.

He lives for his kids/grandkids/great grands and not seeing them is taking a toll. 

We take him groceries and to necessary appointments.

So is it wise to watch the digression or chance making him happier seeing above mentioned.

It's not easy on anyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

I will play devil's advocate. The other side of the coin being alone ( 92 y/o FIL) who we see mentally declining because of this.

He lives for his kids/grandkids/great grands and not seeing them is taking a toll. 

So is it wise to watch the digression or chance making him happier seeing above mentioned.

It's not easy on anyone.

No it isn't.  Suicides/attempts, alcoholism, divorce, child abuse, isolation, depression, anxiety, job loss, businesses lost has not been easy at all.  For those financially secure enough to say that these things are necessary, really dont know what the other terrible consequences come from shutting down countries and businesses for months and enforcing standards that are crippling to our economic and mental health.  Its awful for me to see the terrible effect this has had on our youth and our seniors.  Yes its better than being dead from covid.  But this is turning into a living death.  I wear my mask, goggles and social distance as ordered.  But I will not let this affect how I choose to spend my vacation and my holidays especially when I see the hypocrisy of some of our government officials who say one thing and do another.  And it's really aggravating to see the unbelievable double standards of what is allowed (shopping at Walmart, liquor stores, weed stores, peaceful protests, sports celebrations, inside dining for state reps in CA, travel to HI for some state reps) and what is not (church, outdoor dining).

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

It's not easy on anyone.

That's different than people who want to go traveling because they are being tired of being cooped up. We are just as tired as the rest of them, but things won't get better until people stop thinking just about themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

No it isn't.  Suicides/attempts, alcoholism, divorce, child abuse, isolation, depression, anxiety, job loss, businesses lost has not been easy at all.  For those financially secure enough to say that these things are necessary, really dont know what the other terrible consequences come from shutting down countries and businesses for months and enforcing standards that are crippling to our economic and mental health.  Its awful for me to see the terrible effect this has had on our youth and our seniors.  Yes its better than being dead from covid.  But this is turning into a living death.  

Unfortunately most of who you listed need mental help to get them thru this. If people would have looked at the bigger picture from the beginning and not just had the attitude that they don't care about others or it won't affect them then we wouldn't be in the sad situation we're in now. 

You shouldn't be listening to some moron government officials. Be smart and listen the the scientist and medical people who have a clue.

There's also a saying just because someone else does it doesn't mean you should do it. For some people who aren't doing what they should be doing karma might be a bitxx.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

That's different than people who want to go traveling because they are being tired of being cooped up. We are just as tired as the rest of them, but things won't get better until people stop thinking just about themselves.

In the context of the thread title the comments I made aren't different, it's about people's movement.

I do agree those wanting to sail tomorrow given the chance are risking something different.

3 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Unfortunately most of who you listed need mental help to get them thru this. If people would have looked at the bigger picture from the beginning and not just had the attitude that they don't care about others or it won't affect them then we wouldn't be in the sad situation we're in now. 

You don't think this Covid situation has increased those problems? There are, I'm guessing , many, many new cases of mental health issues now

1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

Renee there is a 5 day wait list for suicide attempts at my local pediatric crisis center.  Id agree with you had there not been such ridiculous double standards.

1 minute ago, beerman2 said:

You don't think this Covid situation has increased those problems? There are, I'm guessing , many, many new cases of mental health issues now

I do believe it has and unfortunately probably in hugh numbers. 

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Renee there is a 5 day wait list for suicide attempts at my local pediatric crisis center.  Id agree with you had there not been such ridiculous double standards.

I'm sorry to hear about the wait list. It's just sad all around especially for those who don't see any other option. As for the double standards I used my common sense and listened to the scientist and medical professionals from the beginning and not some idiots.

• Like 1

As much as I'd love to get away, I know I wouldn't have a good time so guess my mind is made up, don't know what I was thinking when I posted 😔.  We are entering the dreary winter season so the thought of getting away sounded good but will look forward to next year.  Thanks for the suggestions, we do plan a three week Florida rode trip next November to scope out retirement options, Naples is on our radar.  Guess we will make the pilgrimage to our formal dining room after all.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, beerman2 said:

It's not easy on anyone.

My mother (94) died 2 weeks after Thanksgiving 3 years ago.  I still remember how happy she was getting to come to my house that day and spending time with the people she loved.  Everyone has a different situation and a different risk/benefit scenario.