Going Anywhere for Christmas?

Ukigirl

We would have been sailing on our first Christmas cruise but, oh well.  We’ve been staying safe and since our family decided to do their own thing this year for  the holidays, my hubby suggested taking a road trip to Florida and staying at a hotel on the beach in Fort Lauderdale.  Since we are in Michigan, we’ll be driving at least 20 hours to get there.  We’ve both got two weeks off so time isn’t a problem.  I’m a bit nervous, we are both healthy but I do have asthma which is mostly under control with my inhaler.  Would you? Meals would be carry out or outdoor dining.  My other question for you Floridians is where would you suggest going besides Fort Laud? We usually sail from there and spend 2-3 days prior to the cruise so that’s why we are familiar and comfortable going there.

10 minutes ago, Ukigirl said:

We would have been sailing on our first Christmas cruise but, oh well.  We’ve been staying safe and since our family decided to do their own thing this year for  the holidays, my hubby suggested taking a road trip to Florida and staying at a hotel on the beach in Fort Lauderdale.  Since we are in Michigan, we’ll be driving at least 20 hours to get there.  We’ve both got two weeks off so time isn’t a problem.  I’m a bit nervous, we are both healthy but I do have asthma which is mostly under control with my inhaler.  Would you? Meals would be carry out or outdoor dining.  My other question for you Floridians is where would you suggest going besides Fort Laud? We usually sail from there and spend 2-3 days prior to the cruise so that’s why we are familiar and comfortable going there.

I lived in boca raton for 13 years on the ocean, so know florida somewhat well. Personally I would not stay in a congested area or if you really want near there Pompano beach, fl has some mom and pop sized places along ocean blvd.

Where john lives is lovely, maybe near there around palm bay, Merritt island is for the big spenders, but nice. Other coast is under rated. Marco island or Naples. Naples is pretty, we used to stay in treasure island near tampa every christmas.

I would avoid ft Lauderdale or miami as too congested. I'm thinking palm bay area myself tbh. 

Edited by firefly333
Spellcheck quit helping me!

For the past few years, we rented a house at the beach for Christmas and New Year, then cruise the first part of January.   For this time of year, we always make the drive, and it is just about as long from PA.   This year, we are doing the same (minus the cruise that we had to move to January 2022.)

We have stayed in different houses north of Fort Lauderdale.  The beach isn’t as busy up there, but we also have the benefit of our own private pool.  This year it will be mainly cooking and doing takeout from a few favorite places around there.  We will be enjoying our time with the small family circle we have been with here for the duration.

We moved to NW Florida to be near my son and will be having Christmas with him.  We had Thanksgiving with him also.  Last Saturday our county had it's Christmas parade and this next Saturday my son is coming up and we are going to a drive through display and then to dinner.  It has been a little too cold to go to the beach for us but we will go on New Year's Day to a least walk a bit and take some pictures.  I would say come to the Panhandle except it is kind of cold for the beach.

HaHaHa. :classic_biggrin: No. We are under shelter-in-place orders again. We could go to our other house in the Sierra foothills, but it is easier to just stay here. And it snows there.

We will have a small roast and then French dip sandwiches from the leftovers. (the best part of having a roast :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3

We're staying home and being safe. We don't want to take the chance of spreading it or getting it. Things will be getting better after most people get the vaccine so it's not really that far off. Look at how the covid cases increased after Thanksgiving and especially in Florida. No thanks.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 5

Here in UK we are allowed a three household bubble for five days over Christmas. It has to be the same bubble of three households for the whole period. Then we go back into our tiered level (here we are at 2, high). We are going to my youngest son and financee who live locally on Xmas day. Lots of firsts, first time in 30 years I haven't cooked Christmas lunch, first time the kids haven't woken up in our house on Xmas morning, no church, first time we won't see my other son on Xmas day as he is bubbling with his partners family. Thankful for small mercies though. We are all well and hope to go for a Boxing day walk with other son. 

• Like 5

NOPE ! we were just up graded to a  red zone 😢 ,  but it's OK saw the Grands for thanks giving ( both house holds had been isolated for 2 weeks prier) but I'm back to work as an essential worker and I am not taking the chance of getting any of by loved ones sick 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We will make the long journey from the upstairs bedroom down to the den. I may change out of my pj's but I'm not making any promises. I may make a ham & cheese quiche. Sunday nights are always sandwiches. Left over quiche qualifies. 

Don't forget to swing by Port-a-back yarda for some fresh air ❤️

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Coralc said:

HaHaHa. :classic_biggrin: No. We are under shelter-in-place orders again. We could go to our other house in the Sierra foothills, but it is easier to just stay here. And it snows there.

We will have a small roast and then French dip sandwiches from the leftovers. (the best part of having a roast :classic_biggrin:

I feel same way about turkey sandwiches 

And you can add bacon to them😉😁

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

My other question for you Floridians is where would you suggest going besides Fort Laud? We usually sail from there and spend 2-3 days prior to the cruise so that’s why we are familiar and comfortable going there.

I'm happy you chose my native State for your vacay. If a beach R & R is in your plans, Florida has a lot to offer in the way of beaches.  We have 1,350 miles of coastline, second only to Alaska in the US. 

Starting with the northern beaches of the Emerald Coast, my favorites are the beaches of the Panhandle, i.e., Destin, Ft Walton, Seaside, Watercolor.  There you will find the whitest sand, sand dunes and sea oats. On the Northern East Coast, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Fernandina and Ponte Vedra Beach are gorgeous and full of history.  Right now though, for a Southern Floridian like myself, it is way too cold up there, although you being a Michigander, might think it is warm. 

Moving down the coast, on the West, there is St. Pete, Clearwater, Sarasota, Sanibel and Captiva Islands - beautiful beaches with lots of seashells to be found and gorgeous, drop dead sunsets. On the East side, the Space Coast beaches of Cocoa and New Smyrna, offer lovely beaches as well as close proximity to Disney and the Kennedy Space Center.  I find these beaches easier to walk on as they are flatter than in most areas. 

Further South, on the West Coast is Naples and Marco Island which offer great golf and the Everglades as their backyard. The counterpart on the East Coast is Palm Beach County, home of Delray Beach, my favorite in that area.  Delray not only has a quiet, pristine beach but also a well defined downtown area with lots of quirky little boutiques and outdoor restaurants. 

Moving down the coast, Fort Lauderdale and Miami have a lot to offer in the way of night life and culture but the beaches are more crowded than other Florida spots.  If secluded beaches, (although fewer nice beaches), boating, fishing, snorkeling and kayaking are high on your list, there is no better than the Florida Keys -- From Key Largo down to Key West. Key West, although the pricier of all the Keys also has the Papa Hemingway attractions as well as a downtown area with museums, shops and restaurants. 

Whatever you choose, enjoy the Sunshine State!  A lot will depend on how much you want to drive -- remember except for the Keys, the further you drive, the more crowded it gets. 

As for me, I plan to stay on my beach in So FL for Xmas, reminisce on my past sailings as I see the empty cruise ships offshore and some slowly go by and dream of the days when I can go back to cruising...  

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1