What to do, what to do...planning for 2022!

IMKTDQT810

This won't be our first cruise...just first in a LONG time cruise. DH is not a "cruise" type person until we are on the ship...then he enjoys himself. Especially if there is a spa on board. So I am looking at booking this in the next few weeks due to an unexpected "reduced rate" from Carnival that I really don't want to let pass me by. So I know it won't be longer then 5 days and I was originally looking at Carnival Elation going to Nassau, Princess Cay and Grand Turk. We have done GT, Freeport and HMC before and DH is NOT a sun/sand day person. Poor thing burned his feet so bad at HMC he walked around the ship the next day barefooted b/c it hurt too much to put on shoes...even flip flops. I also didn't get any kinda "Wow" factor from the ship...spa looked okay etc. So I moved on with my research and LOVE the Sunrise with the updated Cloud 9 spa and neat outdoor things my teen son will enjoy (water works and ropes course). BUT...the ports are Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. I was to both place over 25 years ago, DH and DS have never been to either. Jamaica made me nervous with all the "in your face" vendors. I mean I am thinking I want to book this one but stay on the ship while in that port unless DH and DS find an excursion to do. And the plan will be to go on that and then hop back on the ship ASAP! 

Side note: I don't plan on letting DH or DS know about this booking until NEXT Christmas as their gift. So that will give them about 6 months to look into the excursions since I am planning to go in June. 

So please help me here....I'm thinking Ship over Ports? Is there any other "thinking outside of the box" things I didn't think nor consider? Thanks guys and Happy Holidays! 

If you do Ocho and an excursion to Dunn River falls via the ship, you'll avoid most of the aggressive vendors.  Likewise in the Caymans,  Sting Ray city is the better place for you.  Turtle Farm is ok but might be a bit boring for a teen.  "Hell" is good for a postcard and mailing to friends.  But not really much to see there. Do any shopping at the port. Downtown Georgetown shops are expensive and carry similar items.

• Like 1

I took a friend I had cruised with on princess and we did dunns river falls (and we booked thru the cruiseline). That was one of the reasons she never spoke to me again. She was upset I didnt walk with her past the shop area. She felt quite intimidated and really unhappy with me. I can walk on by and say no but they do grab your arm and physically try to drag you to buy stuff. 

You say you will pick ship over ports, but then pick older ships. Sunset for instance as I'm sure you know was a converted triumph class ship where they crammed like 300 more cabins onto a already jam packed ship, though they added a lot of fun stuff. The best space ratio will be spirit class, the converted ships will have the least space ratio. Its np just be aware. 

Dream class is my favorite, and has the best spa areas if you want your husband to be pleased. Has the T pools. 

Let us know what ports you want and people can give suggestions 

Carnival Elation is your other pick. It's one of a couple of carnivals oldest class of ship not totally sold off this year. Decor was pretty but be aware of the age of the ship. It's small and wouldnt have bells and whistles or a nice spa area for your husband. 

Seems odd choices to me and to say you are picking ship over ports. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, it would help us if you would give us an idea of which ports you would like to sail from.  I don't much care for Ocho Rios, but a teen would probably enjoy climbing Dunn's River Falls.  EM

Sorry, that would have been helpful! Anything up or down the eastern seaboard. We will live WV so will be flying and we normally arrive the day before because ALL flights out of our dinky airport has a layover! -=)

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

You are among many others who are in a quandary as to what to do--and when to do it.  

Personally, I think we will see good pricing and deals for some time once cruising is allowed to re-start.  Those booking this early with no certainty that their cruise will sail nor what the requirements to cruise will be or what the on-board experience will be like are gamblers.  Their deposits are helping the cruise lines' current cash flows.  (We shareholders thank you.)  I am not ready to do so, however.

Ocho Rios:  stay on the ship.  You said you last visited years ago.  My last trip to Jamaica was not long ago.  A beautiful island, really, but many of the "natives" have yet to learn acceptable guest welcoming skills, in my opinion.  Grand Cayman remains an interesting port for cruise guests to visit.  I'd suggest exploring and visiting "Hell" (your DS might find that "unique" and something that he could tell his friends) as well as the turtle farm.  Georgetown surely has changed over the years, but it is still a nice place to visit. 

Thank you SO much for your input...especially on Jamaica. My grandparents used to cruise (in there 60's-80's) JUST to be on the ship that takes them to places but never got off. They enjoyed the food, music, entertainment and I swore they were bonkers for never getting off the ship. They told me on day I would understand and when it comes to certain ports (like Jamaica and a few others) I think I AM starting to understand! Thanks again! 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I took a friend I had cruised with on princess and we did dunns river falls (and we booked thru the cruiseline). That was one of the reasons she never spoke to me again. She was upset I didnt walk with her past the shop area. She felt quite intimidated and really unhappy with me. I can walk on by and say no but they do grab your arm and physically try to drag you to buy stuff. 

You say you will pick ship over ports, but then pick older ships. Sunset for instance as I'm sure you know was a converted triumph class ship where they crammed like 300 more cabins onto a already jam packed ship, though they added a lot of fun stuff. The best space ratio will be spirit class, the converted ships will have the least space ratio. Its np just be aware. 

Dream class is my favorite, and has the best spa areas if you want your husband to be pleased. Has the T pools. 

Let us know what ports you want and people can give suggestions 

Carnival Elation is your other pick. It's one of a couple of carnivals oldest class of ship not totally sold off this year. Decor was pretty but be aware of the age of the ship. It's small and wouldnt have bells and whistles or a nice spa area for your husband. 

Seems odd choices to me and to say you are picking ship over ports. 

Oh NO....I'm sorry your friend never spoke to you again after that trip!

I know that the Sunrise has the Thermo spa but no pool. We were on the Splendor when they first got that and DH totally enjoyed it. But not sure we want to go on the same ship again, we've also been on the Pride as far as smaller ships go.

I did my search as June 2022 and then 5 days or less. There is no way I will ever set foot in Mexico either so that is why I overlooked any that had Cozumel....I thought with Ocho Rios IF the guys wanted to try an excursion then they at least have the option to. When it comes to Mexico (long story short) I was with friends in a all-inclusive resort and when my friend almost got kidnapped on the beach AT the resort (still on resort property). I have heard bad stories of folks being on cruises and getting hassled there as well but my Mexico issue was a life changing event. I know alot of ppl enjoy going there and heck, even my boss vacations there are few times a year..but it's just not for me nor will I bring my family there! 

Thank you for your input, information and insight...I am taking it all in! 

21 minutes ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

Oh NO....I'm sorry your friend never spoke to you again after that trip!

I know that the Sunrise has the Thermo spa but no pool. We were on the Splendor when they first got that and DH totally enjoyed it. But not sure we want to go on the same ship again, we've also been on the Pride as far as smaller ships go.

I did my search as June 2022 and then 5 days or less. There is no way I will ever set foot in Mexico either so that is why I overlooked any that had Cozumel....I thought with Ocho Rios IF the guys wanted to try an excursion then they at least have the option to. When it comes to Mexico (long story short) I was with friends in a all-inclusive resort and when my friend almost got kidnapped on the beach AT the resort (still on resort property). I have heard bad stories of folks being on cruises and getting hassled there as well but my Mexico issue was a life changing event. I know alot of ppl enjoy going there and heck, even my boss vacations there are few times a year..but it's just not for me nor will I bring my family there! 

Thank you for your input, information and insight...I am taking it all in! 

Which side of mexico. I prefer western any day over eastern, though on a 5 day or less from here all hit cozumel which is a safe port.

The west coast of mexico is known to be unsafe, but have you been to Merida from progresso, I forget but its known as the welcoming mexico city. Of course I stay with my excursion group. Seems unfair to cross off all of mexico because of one place. That's like saying I'm scared of NYV so I would never visit usa, it's a vast area and some areas safer than others.

The least safe I've ever felt was downtown belize. We took a cab downtown, bummer. Stick to the country. Next I'd put jamaica for pushy and unsafe. Mexico isnt close 3rd. Trying to think of the port that has coki beach. A week later there was a shooting out on the road. I looked it up. St. Thomas. It's a local, beach where some like to go to get away from crowded tourist beches. For years after that everyone warned to stay away. St, Thomas has gang shootings .. but its faded now.

Cozumel has no homeless, they use cruise revenue to clean up the streets and house the homeless. 

Each port is what you make of it, but I try to avoid jamaica if I can. Just get tired of trying to walk and every 5 minutes a cab driver is trying to hustle me to take his cab. I lived hawaii so used to pushy island types and can deal with it, but it's about my least favorite stop. Belize pushy too. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you to FIREFLY333....I think I have it figured out now. THANK YOU for mentioning the Dream class and the nicer Spa. 

I looked into the Magic which has the Spa T pool, ropes course and it goes to Nassau and Freeport. We have been to FP once a long, long time ago but I honestly feel alot better about these two ports. PLUS it sails from Norfolk...even though I was prepared to fly....it's only a 6 1/2 hr drive so that will be some money saved too!! 

We drove to Baltimore many years ago when we took Carnival Pride and just parked at the port so we could walk off and get on the road. 

Now my question is my time dining vs. a set time (6pm for us). We have never tried that "My time" so don't know what that means.....you can walk in at any time and might sit with different ppl each night? If that is the case I think I would prefer to sit with the SAME other ppl each night then. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

Thank you to FIREFLY333....I think I have it figured out now. THANK YOU for mentioning the Dream class and the nicer Spa. 

I looked into the Magic which has the Spa T pool, ropes course and it goes to Nassau and Freeport. We have been to FP once a long, long time ago but I honestly feel alot better about these two ports. PLUS it sails from Norfolk...even though I was prepared to fly....it's only a 6 1/2 hr drive so that will be some money saved too!! 

We drove to Baltimore many years ago when we took Carnival Pride and just parked at the port so we could walk off and get on the road. 

Now my question is my time dining vs. a set time (6pm for us). We have never tried that "My time" so don't know what that means.....you can walk in at any time and might sit with different ppl each night? If that is the case I think I would prefer to sit with the SAME other ppl each night then. Thoughts?

I've done dream and magic and magic is better. Magic has the italian restaurant free for lunch, though I dont eat italian, some say it's good. I dont like cooked tomatoes or pasta. But I loved magic more than dream. Trying to remember why, food I think, though I liked the towel animals on deck Thursday early. ..must be something.

Dont forget movies under the stars, ok it's been a while but I stood in the rain to watch avatar for instance. And I love popcorn, but they only pop it between movies, dont ask me why, but almost every night I stopped by for some. True the spa is best on dream class, but that's wasnt why, if you drink wine I think first night you get a free bottle in pay restaurant.,I'd have to go thru what restaurants are kn magic to remember why I preferred it over dream. Magic is my favorite ship so far

ropes course is much bigger, I'd say twice as long as the one on vista for instance., go look at the ropes course and slides, I think they are extra good., 

vista has promenade deck closed in, magic has it open. Vista cut comedy club and theater in half, hard to get seating. Lots to love on magic over vista imo. And look how long the ropes course is on magic. Vista dinky and shorter but has 2 easy and hard.

Any time, make a reservation time imo, or you wind up waiting. I usually dont wait and do buffet. Fixed you sit with people similar. Like solo they put other solos or couples or 2 women travelling together with me. They seem to try to pair up similar. But takes so long to eat. Tbh I ate a lot in buffet, and sign up for anytime.

Edited by firefly333
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trueblueky said:

If he's not a beach person, what about a cruise that stops at San Juan and St Maarten?

Both of those stops are on 7 day cruises and I need to book a 5 day or less to utilize a Carnival Promo. But I booked the Magic out of Norfolk going to Nassau and Freeport 😃 The more I researched the ship I LOVE IT and another plus is that it will sail from Norfolk which is a port we can drive to. Thank you for the suggestion though!

17 hours ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

Both of those stops are on 7 day cruises and I need to book a 5 day or less to utilize a Carnival Promo. But I booked the Magic out of Norfolk going to Nassau and Freeport 😃 The more I researched the ship I LOVE IT and another plus is that it will sail from Norfolk which is a port we can drive to. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Glad you reached a decision.  The Magic is a fun ship.  Happy sailing.

• Thanks 1