Amazon cruise

Crusin-Suzan

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Not sure the larger ships can go up the Amazon.  Even the smaller ones have problems sometimes.  Didn’t the Veendam run aground a few years ago?

The Volendam ran aground on a submerged sandbar for 7 hours east of Santarem on the Amazon River on our cruise in Dec. 2019.  The Brazilian River Pilot on board is supposed to know where these hazzards are!  Being awakened at 4 am with the ship alarm and the captain speaking was disconcerting to say the least.  We would still sail the Amazon again, though.

38 minutes ago, Loreto said:

The Volendam ran aground on a submerged sandbar for 7 hours east of Santarem on the Amazon River on our cruise in Dec. 2019.  The Brazilian River Pilot on board is supposed to know where these hazzards are!  Being awakened at 4 am with the ship alarm and the captain speaking was disconcerting to say the least.  We would still sail the Amazon again, though.

We were on that cruise as well and echo the comments.  It's an amazing place.  To see so much water 500 miles from the ocean is beyond stunning.

4 hours ago, Loreto said:

There you go, I had the wrong V ship.

December, 2019 we were traveling on the Insignia (Oceania) and watched the Volendam stop in the middle of the Amazon. I searched online and learned all about the ship, didn't learn about the cause of the stop until later. Oh, I wish that I had taken pictures!

I enjoyed the Amazon and would do it again, 

I thought there was a big difference in  when you go, the rainy season  and the dry,  it's a good  excuse to go twice, 

we got so much rain there was water coming in the lido doors. and I thought I saw a lot of rain here in the pacific NW.

14 minutes ago, omago4th said:

I enjoyed the Amazon and would do it again, 

I thought there was a big difference in  when you go, the rainy season  and the dry,  it's a good  excuse to go twice, 

we got so much rain there was water coming in the lido doors. and I thought I saw a lot of rain here in the pacific NW.

We did the Amazon on the Vaandam in September/October 2005, 33 days from 
Seattle to Tampa.  It was fairly dry, so Fall must be the dry season.  omago4th - we must be neighbors.  We also live in Silverdale.

2 hours ago, omago4th said:

I neighbor, I live off central valley,  I'm a Silverdale old timer,  born here, but  was away for many years,

sure missing that airporter ride to start my next cruise.

One of the good things about CC is being able to meet people with similar interests.  We live in Loretta Heights, off Newberry Hill Rd.  We are old time Washingtonions.  I was born in Seattle in 1939; my grandmother was born there in 1867.  Email is newellray at GMail.