Christmas Markets

F19810

It might be weird that I love the Christmas season when I don't celebrate the holiday!  The european Christmas Markets look interesting but are they different enough that  a cruise would be worth while?  Which river would be best?

Judy

Not weird at all. Different enough from what? Markets in the states? The European Christmas markets are wonderful - they are very different from what one would fine in the USA. I love the smells, the stalls, the food, the Glühwein (I tend to favor the German markets but the Austrian, Hungarian & Czech are also great).

Our favorite Christmas river cruise was on the Danube (ended in Budapest which also has a fantastic market).

Edited by dogs4fun

In England we also have an ancient tradition of Christmas Markets although they were called Goose Fairs. The geese were raised in the country and coming up to Christmas were walked to the nearest city the most famous is most probably the Nottingham Goose Fair. I used to enjoy the Bath Christmas Fair but as with a lot of things it has become far to touristy, we don’t go in now during the tourist season, so similar to some of the towns along the European rivers, but still a beautiful city. CA

I love the UK and think London is lovely all decked out during the holidays but prefer Bath in December (they have a market). We also visited Edinburgh during December and loved their Christmas market - the Ferris wheel in the Princes street gardens was a sight to behold.

The French also put on a fantastic Christmas market in Strasbourg. There are many Christmas markets throughout Europe. Even Moscow (Red Square) puts on a fantastic Christmas market.

@F19810: if you are contemplating a river cruise, I would think that a Danube or Rhine cruise would offer one the most "bang for the buck". JMHO

Edited by dogs4fun

9 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Not weird at all. Different enough from what? Markets in the states? The European Christmas markets are wonderful - they are very different from what one would fine in the USA. I love the smells, the stalls, the food, the Glühwein (I tend to favor the German markets but the Austrian, Hungarian & Czech are also great).

Our favorite Christmas river cruise was on the Danube (ended in Budapest which also has a fantastic market).

Are the christmas markets in each of the towns/cities on the Danube/Rhine different from each other?

Each is unique in its own way but they are similar in what they sell, etc. The variety in locations is wonderful - some are  held in charming, small villages & others are held in vibrant, cosmopolitan cities. For example, on the Danube with Viking, you would visit Christmas markets in Passau, Linz, Vienna, Bratislava & Budapest. 

A Google search will reveal photos and descriptions of Europe’s Christmas markets. Maybe start with something like “the best Christmas markets in Europe”.

I recommend checking-out the offerings on Viking, AmaWaterways, Avalon & the like. You might also want to contact a TA that specializes in river cruises.

I’ve enjoyed all of our river cruises - it’s a great way to get a ‘taste’ of the offerings of some spectacular, historic European cities. Good luck! 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, F19810 said:

Are the christmas markets in each of the towns/cities on the Danube/Rhine different from each other?

I did the Danube and I think they were each a little different. I enjoyed going to them and even gave up an exclusive/early entry into a museum to go to them. I found the food a little different in different ones. I am one that absolutely loved the food from the markets. There were times where I saw something at one market early on and didn't buy it and then never saw it again. Other items, you saw at all the markets. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

I had no idea! I just googled images from it and it is truly beautiful.

https://tsar-events.com/calendar/moscow-christmas-fair-festival-on-the-red-square-2020-2021/

I agree, it is beautiful. My fondness for Russia stems from my love of music & literature. However, after my first visit I became fascinated with Russian history & architecture. Love the Russian people I have met - just wish the political situation was different.

Have you visited Russia yet?

17 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I agree, it is beautiful. My fondness for Russia stems from my love of music & literature. However, after my first visit I became fascinated with Russian history & architecture. Love the Russian people I have met - just wish the political situation was different.

Have you visited Russia yet?

Yes - 2x. First time I was 18 and it was a high school trip, one of those 7 countries in 6 weeks. It was 1988 and we spent probably 4 days in both Moscow and Leningrad. I had a high school teacher who had sparked my interest in Russia and had taught a Russian history class before I left. I was in ahhww.. the entire time. It was during Gorbachev's leadership.

I later minored in Slavic studies and took Russian. When I returned probably 20 years later, my Russian speaking was pathetic though I could still read some. I hate to think what it would be like now.

I returned later on a river cruise and was greatly disappointed in the river cruise but still enjoyed my time in Moscow and St. Petersburg. I wished I had just done the hotel thing but that year, Moscow was the most expensive city in the world. I couldn't believe how much things had changed.

My high school tour did a much better job of showing us around than the river cruise did.

I have always been intrigued by their history and architecture also. I loved standing in Red Square, the Kremlin, I love the museums, the people are very kind...... Yes -the politics are bizarre.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, F19810 said:

Along the Danube river (starting out on the Canal in Nuremberg) you will find the more traditional markets. Each of them has its own specialties and is different. Here in my home town Munich we have at least 30 different markets. In Bavaria and Austria markets are a long time tradition.

The markets have not such a long tradition in most of the towns along the Rhine river. So you will find a lot of more commercial stalls and some of the goods are sold on each market.

steamboats

• Like 3

I think you need to decide for yourself if you want to experience the Christmas markets more as a DIY land trip or as a more "regulated" river cruise that determines exactly when you can be at a market. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. For me on the plus side could be the decoration and activities on a river cruise ship. You may learn about traditions in a talk, bake biscuits, etc. You may not see much of a market in lights if the cruise ship leaves early in the evening, though. Really look at the various companies and details. Look for spread sheets and info among the previous years' roll calls.

While I basically agree with steamboats assessment, you can experience old and/or traditional Christmas markets along the Rhine - and the Main river - it just depends on where you are. The age ranges from around 600 years to 40 years tradition...

On a river cruise I would definitely include a German-speaking country.

Unfortunately, there are not that many options for a river cruise on the Elbe in Winter, but check. Dresden is one of the oldest markets in Germany. To end a dispute, Dresden and Bautzen (which is in the Sorbian speaking area of East Germany) both have such a title but the wording varies!

Here in Germany coach tour operators offer very good trips to markets, perhaps a travel agent in your country can help you with that.

You can have a look here to give you an overview of German ones: http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/

The large cities will have their own websites and probably pages on the Christmas markets in English.

By the way, I think it is not weird to enjoy the Christmas season if you do not celebrate Christmas. It is about light, hope and joy. Just enjoy it. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I think you need to decide for yourself if you want to experience the Christmas markets more as a DIY land trip or as a more "regulated" river cruise that determines exactly when you can be at a market. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. For me on the plus side could be the decoration and activities on a river cruise ship. You may learn about traditions in a talk, bake biscuits, etc. You may not see much of a market in lights if the cruise ship leaves early in the evening, though. Really look at the various companies and details. Look for spread sheets and info among the previous years' roll calls.

I think I lucked out big time on mine. It was booked on a whim but we had overnights in Vienna, Linz and Passau. It was an unusual itinerary (with some overnights) and then even more so had more overnights due to low water levels. I completely agree that it is worth going at night.

We didn't have talks on markets or baking of biscuits. Just the usual learning of how to make wonderful apple strudel. 

Thinking of land trip next time 🙂

Edited by Coral

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

Just the usual learning of how to make wonderful apple strudel. 

Oh, that is nice as well.

Your comments reminded me that I should mention the timing. To see all the markets open one should go after Sunday of the Dead (last Sunday before first of Advent). I find a cruise between the dates 4 December - it is darker and you may experience the gift-giving tradition on Nikolaus, that is 5/6 December and 18 December - stalls are still stocked well and the vendors are not tired and grumpy yet (not a standard, but can happen, I am sure they are almost always the embodiment of Christmas spirit) best.

notamermaid

• Like 2

13 hours ago, steamboats said:

Along the Danube river (starting out on the Canal in Nuremberg) you will find the more traditional markets. Each of them has its own specialties and is different. Here in my home town Munich we have at least 30 different markets. In Bavaria and Austria markets are a long time tradition.

The markets have not such a long tradition in most of the towns along the Rhine river. So you will find a lot of more commercial stalls and some of the goods are sold on each market.

steamboats

Now that you have brought up the Munich Christmas Markets let me ask a few questions please.  And I know the answer is subjective based on who one asks the question to.  #notamermaid might want to give an answer to this also.  Wife and I are scheduled to do a B2B Celestyal cruise out of Athens (with 3 - 4 days pre-cruise) beggining on Nov. 13 and terminating back in Athens on Nov. 27 2021.  We are then planning to fly to Vienna arriving late afternoon.  We will be there the evening of the 27 (night time lights) and 1/2 of next day.  Then take the train to Regensburg arriving late afternoon (again night time lights) and 1/2 of next day.  Then take the train to Munich arriving late afternoon (night time lights) and be there at least part of the next day, if not all of it, depending on flight schedules.

I know this is a short period of time in each city but we will have been gone for 18 days already not including the Christmas markets.

Our plans of Vienna - Regensburg - Munich is mainly due to coming from Athens and good flights out of Munich along with closeness of Munich and Regensburg..

Question 1.  Does the above make sense - city wise and schedule wise.  Would it make more sense to do Vienna - Munich - Regensburg with a direct train from Regensburg to the Munich airport.

Question 2. - When do the markets normally open up?  Is it morning or after lunch?  To see the markets in the day time and night time would we need to stay all day and travel the second evening.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Stan

travelingman, that is a tight schedule I think. Not sure that I would want to cram all this into so few days. I am not familiar with the markets in the area, but have been to Vienna and Munich. The cities are kind of compact and easy to navigate with public transport but nevertheless big; you still need to travel to and from airports. Regensburg is much smaller. Train stations will be in the heart of the cities and one or two markets nearby. That could work out okay.

As regards opening hours: they will be 10am or 11am to between 7pm and 10pm in the big cities. But steamboats and others can tell you more about that. Also check the cities' websites.

For distances and logistics I will happily hand over to steamboats who I know will be happy to tell you about Munich especially.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

notamermaid, do you think it would be better if we plan on spending 2 nights in each town.  The day we arrive and the next night and then the next morning to the traveling to the next town.  This would give is approximately 1 1/2 days in each town versus an evening and 1/2 day.

Stan

@travelingman I agree with notamermaid... markets open 10/11 am and stay open til 8 - 10 pm (depends on the market and location).

The schedule is really pretty tight. For Vienna and Munich I really suggest at least two nights. For Regensburg it´s pretty much o.k. to spend the afternoon and leave early the next morning or so.

It definitely doesn´t make much sense to go Vienna - Munich - Regensburg - Munich Airport. Although our airport is not within the city limits it´s at least 1:20 h by train from Regensburg (and that´s the direct train). It´s 40 min from downtown Munich (20 min from my home).

Regensburg has the main market in the city which is spread over the whole downtown area. There´s the other market at the castle of Thurn und Taxis (which has an entrance fee).

Munich has the main market downtown at Marienplatz and adjoining streets (pedestrian zone). Close to this you have at least two nice smaller markets like the one in the Residenz and the Medieval market at Wittelsbacherplatz. The other one I highly suggest is Schwabinger Weihnachtsmarkt at Münchner Freiheit (4 stops by subway from Marienplatz). This is all artists and no commercial vendors. One big one is  Tollwood at the Oktoberfest grounds. Big tents, mix of artists and commerical vendors plus concerts and food from all over the world. But that one is not that traditional.

steamboats

• Like 1

Thank you steamboats and notamermaid for your comments on our Christmas market plans.  The one thing I did not mention is that we have been to Vienna and Munich on previous trips but not to Regensburg.  If we get to make our August/September Danube river trip we will have an additional visit to Vienna and our first visit to Regensburg.  So the planned Christmas market trip will be strictly for the markets.  I will extend our time in each city to 2 nights so that we will have more time to enjoy the markets.  Again thanks for your input.

Stan

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

@travelingman I agree with notamermaid... markets open 10/11 am and stay open til 8 - 10 pm (depends on the market and location).

The schedule is really pretty tight. For Vienna and Munich I really suggest at least two nights. For Regensburg it´s pretty much o.k. to spend the afternoon and leave early the next morning or so.

It definitely doesn´t make much sense to go Vienna - Munich - Regensburg - Munich Airport. Although our airport is not within the city limits it´s at least 1:20 h by train from Regensburg (and that´s the direct train). It´s 40 min from downtown Munich (20 min from my home).

Regensburg has the main market in the city which is spread over the whole downtown area. There´s the other market at the castle of Thurn und Taxis (which has an entrance fee).

Munich has the main market downtown at Marienplatz and adjoining streets (pedestrian zone). Close to this you have at least two nice smaller markets like the one in the Residenz and the Medieval market at Wittelsbacherplatz. The other one I highly suggest is Schwabinger Weihnachtsmarkt at Münchner Freiheit (4 stops by subway from Marienplatz). This is all artists and no commercial vendors. One big one is  Tollwood at the Oktoberfest grounds. Big tents, mix of artists and commerical vendors plus concerts and food from all over the world. But that one is not that traditional.

steamboats

Ah Steamboats, you forgot the Pink Markt. Quite interesting.

It's the LGBTQ Christmas Markt at Glockenbachviertel.  I discovered it many years ago when the Sturm der Liebe shauspielers were at the Teddy Bear Verkauf for the Munchen Aids Society.  I bought quite a few Teddy Bears for the folks back home, all for a good cause, and was able to see my favorite Sturm der Liebe actress, Mona Seefried.

11 hours ago, travelingman said:

notamermaid, do you think it would be better if we plan on spending 2 nights in each town.  The day we arrive and the next night and then the next morning to the traveling to the next town.  This would give is approximately 1 1/2 days in each town versus an evening and 1/2 day.

Stan

Before you mentioned the fact that you had been to Vienna and Munich I would have said two nights in each and one night in Regensburg sounds best. Not so sure now, but I still think for calm enjoyment of the atmosphere and seeing more than one market in the large cities 2, 2, 1 nights respectively is good.

@rcaruso Such a market exists in Cologne as well, Hamburg is another great town for such a theme. Teddy bears, sounds nice, even if it is not "traditional".

At markets in the past I have bought anything from high class frying pans and socks to glass baubles and chocolate.

The choices are endless these days. If you see it and are happy with quality and price, buy it. The chances are high you will not see it again elsewhere.

notamermaid

• Like 1

I have a Yuletide cruise booked for this coming December thru The Netherlands and Belgium.  We will be visiting some of their Christmas markets.  That really wasn't my interest or objective when I was looking for cruises, but the price was right and it was far enough away that I thought it had a good chance of going.  I was looking for a cruise thru those 2 countries that wasn't a tulip cruise.