Motion in Forward Haven cabins vs. closer to elevators, Encore/Joy/Bliss

CarolinaMamma

Getting ready to book a 2022 cruise and currently have 17700, right next to Horizon Lounge, on hold. I like the location, but my 20-year-old is prone to seasickness. Will we notice a major difference in motion between this cabin and other Haven cabins in Deck 17, say 17124 (closest to midship) or 17118? All of them are high up and forward, so just trying to figure out if giving up proximity to that lounge will make a significant difference in motion.

Any other tips on cabin location for deck 17? It’s hard to tell from the deck plan where the entrances to the Haven lounge and courtyard are. 

2 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

It’s hard to tell from the deck plan where the entrances to the Haven lounge and courtyard are. 

When exiting the elevator or the stairs, the entrance door is on the port side forward of the bank of elevators. It's near 17126 (Bliss) or 17132 (Joy) but continue straight down the hallway. As you continue down the hallway, the concierge desk is on your right and the Haven Lounge is in front of you.  Continue walking towards the stairs (looks like a horseshoe on the plans) and the entrance to the Haven Courtyard is on your right.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

When exiting the elevator or the stairs, the entrance door is on the port side forward of the bank of elevators. It's near 17126 (Bliss) or 17132 (Joy) but continue straight down the hallway. As you continue down the hallway, the concierge desk is on your right and the Haven Lounge is in front of you.  Continue walking towards the stairs (looks like a horseshoe on the plans) and the entrance to the Haven Courtyard is on your right.  

Thanks. I was meaning the entrances from the cabin hallways. My deck plan shows a solid line, so I’m not sure if there are entrances somewhere in the middle of that hallway to the Haven lounge and courtyard or if you have to walk all the way down to the end of the hall to get to them. 

3 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Getting ready to book a 2022 cruise and currently have 17700, right next to Horizon Lounge, on hold. I like the location, but my 20-year-old is prone to seasickness. Will we notice a major difference in motion between this cabin and other Haven cabins in Deck 17, say 17124 (closest to midship) or 17118? All of them are high up and forward, so just trying to figure out if giving up proximity to that lounge will make a significant difference in motion.

Any other tips on cabin location for deck 17? It’s hard to tell from the deck plan where the entrances to the Haven lounge and courtyard are. 

There will not be a major difference in Haven rooms in the Haven complex. The closer you are to mid-ship, there will be slightly less motion. While, low and mid-ship is the best ride, in rough seas, every room and venue on the ship will be moving. Have your 20 year old get a prescription for a patch and enjoy the Haven, it is amazing. (We are actually in 17100 (opposite side of the ship) on an upcoming cruise).  

while i dont have the actual logistics for this particular ship, i have always read that if someone is prone to sea sickness, to avoid the higher decks.

that being said, there are many useful ways to avoid this problem. (1) you cango to your local drug store and request wrist bands. these have always worked for my wife, your doctor has order patches for behind the ears, you can take ginger candy or ginger gum which will reduce the symptoms, or (and this comes directly from one of the crew members on the last norwegian cruise we took) have the cabin steward or any server ina restaurant bring you some slices of green apple and some ginger ale.

enjoy your cruise and bon voyage

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Thanks. I was meaning the entrances from the cabin hallways. My deck plan shows a solid line, so I’m not sure if there are entrances somewhere in the middle of that hallway to the Haven lounge and courtyard or if you have to walk all the way down to the end of the hall to get to them. 

There are gaps but I don't remember exactly how many. There's one right by the Concierge desk and 1 more before that by the entrance. I don't know the starboard side gaps but I'm pretty sure that there are some.

Happy New Year, CarolinaMamma. I am familiar with the precursor to the Haven, the Villas. We have also sailed in Penthouses on Oceania and Regent. These accommodations  are on higher floors so they have a wider range of motion than those closer to the waterline.  The best solution for people sensitive to motion  is medication. Why take chances when it isn't necessary? Enjoy your cruise. My sister and I are in the Joy Haven in December of this year. We lived on a boat in the summers when we were children. So far, we have escaped sea sickness. However, sailing up the Mexican coast on the way to San Pedro, we hit rocky seas. My husband was a victim, as were many others. The seas calmed down in a few hours and it was as if it had never happened. My husband's assertions that he would never get on one of these monsters again were forgotten. Together we sailed over sixty after that without a recurrence.

Mary

Thanks, everyone. I ended up booking 17118 on Encore, which is pretty close to the single elevator and entrance to Haven lounge, and we will try medication and sea bands for our 20-year-old. Bonine, started before the cruise, + not drinking too much worked GREAT for my husband and me when we were chasing a hurricane to Bermuda a few years ago. Everyone on the ship was seasick and staying in cabins, so public areas were pretty deserted, but we were fine, other than needing to hold onto rails. Maybe our son needs something prescription strength though. Will check with the doc before we go. It is the Caribbean, so I’m hoping for mostly calm seas, but want to be prepared.

We sailed on the Encore Dec. 2019 in the forward most cabin on deck 17 next to the Horizon lounge

starboard side. Maybe 17700...can't remember LOL. There was a door across the hall from us into the hallway that goes either to the right to the lounge or to the left to the other facilities. It was a great location. In terms of motion probably no difference in the two cabins you mentioned. Our cabin was far enough away from the pool and if it is a sailing with a lot of kids, they do make quite a bit of noise so we were glad to have that more forward  location. Every sailing is different so I can only say what our experience was. As for motion we had quite a bit but it was not the forward and back and side to side pitching that makes you seasick. The room shook sideways when under sail. That said the Encore is a beautiful ship with lots for  a 20 year old to do. Beautiful public spaces, wonderful entertainment and excellent food were the pluses. There was a decent amount of motion,  but to be fair we felt it on on other decks and in different parts of the ship too so you might as well pick the cabin you like the best.

• 1 year later...

Any feedback on the bathroom being right outside the 17700 room. We are a family of 5 going to be sailing in the 2br with one person in the living room. My thought is this individual will have easy access to the bathroom outside the cabin if needed late at night or early in the morning instead of going into either bedroom. It seems to be really convenient right outside the cabin, whereas the entrance to the horizon lounge is on the other side by 17100. Can any advise on this? 

6 hours ago, Rmeister23 said:

Any feedback on the bathroom being right outside the 17700 room. We are a family of 5 going to be sailing in the 2br with one person in the living room. My thought is this individual will have easy access to the bathroom outside the cabin if needed late at night or early in the morning instead of going into either bedroom. It seems to be really convenient right outside the cabin, whereas the entrance to the horizon lounge is on the other side by 17100. Can any advise on this? 

The bathroom is right outside  that cabin. Just turn right and it's right there. I am pretty sure it was a single stall. You don't need to go into the hallway through the door to access it. It is in the hallway. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Rmeister23 said:

We are currently in 17702 - right next to your room and the bathroom. It’s suuuuper convenient.  And yes, it’s one stall. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Rmeister23 said:

Here – I just popped out of my room and took a picture for ya’. 

DC71D78C-30FF-4790-8D2B-F255798DA783.thumb.jpeg.42b0a0ac6cfe99346421c7b4a6518db5.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Bonine or non drowsy Dramamine worked great for my teen granddaughter who loves cruising but every once in a while needs a pill. Stock up just in case. 

Same - the kids and I take Bonine around the clock (following the directions, of course). I also get a pre-cruise prescription of Ativan from my doctor (for “situational anxiety”) because when the seas get rough, I get a little scared and that calms me down too.