Iona - Future Deployment

joeecco

I’ve just been looking at the most recent launch for all the P&O ships. I know that Azura and Britannia’s sailing only go to the first week of October ready for their Caribbean repositioning cruise 

when they launch that season but I’ve noticed that Iona is only on sale for sailings until September 24th.

This seems very early... do we think she is going to be deployed elsewhere with a repositioning cruise hence the early finish?

Gala 2 is rumoured to be a sun ship so I thought it would have been that ship to move elsewhere. 

What do you all think? 

7 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I’ve just been looking at the most recent launch for all the P&O ships. I know that Azura and Britannia’s sailing only go to the first week of October ready for their Caribbean repositioning cruise 

when they launch that season but I’ve noticed that Iona is only on sale for sailings until September 24th.

This seems very early... do we think she is going to be deployed elsewhere with a repositioning cruise hence the early finish?

Gala 2 is rumoured to be a sun ship so I thought it would have been that ship to move elsewhere. 

What do you all think? 

We're due on her at the end of November to the Med, so I hope not. 

8 minutes ago, joeecco said:

What do you all think? 

Ah, just realised, you mean next year? 

4 minutes ago, joeecco said:

What do you all think? 

I suppose it depends where Iona will be able to refuel, currently she is limited but natural gas storage depots will increase as more newer ships are launched. I would be surprised if she doesn't do the Canaries, will the new ship be launched in 2022? last I heard a lot of shipbuilding had been suspended, too many ifs and buts again so can only guess, or wait for an announcement.

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

I suppose it depends where Iona will be able to refuel, currently she is limited but natural gas storage depots will increase as more newer ships are launched. I would be surprised if she doesn't do the Canaries, will the new ship be launched in 2022? last I heard a lot of shipbuilding had been suspended, too many ifs and buts again so can only guess, or wait for an announcement.

Yes that’s a good thought. 
the new ship has been delayed until December 2022 last they said. Maybe they are pulling Iona to cover what Gala 2 was originally supposed to sail I.e the gulf or Caribbean etc? 

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

Yes that’s a good thought. 
the new ship has been delayed until December 2022 last they said. Maybe they are pulling Iona to cover what Gala 2 was originally supposed to sail I.e the gulf or Caribbean etc? 

The winter 22/23 season has not been launched yet, and Iona's summer 2022 season will end at the end of September.  So you will need to wait until March/April at the earliest, and Molecrochip has suggested it might even be July before it is launched, but I would expect it will do very similar itineraries to next winters sailings, that is 14 nt Canaries and Iberian Med and 7nt North sea ports.

12 hours ago, joeecco said:

What do you all think? 

I would put the earlier finish to Iona's summer season due to it consisting of repeated trips to the fjords and the same this year..  Getting a bit late to do constant cruises to fjords at that time of year, so P&O had the option of putting in a couple of cruises to elsewhere at the end of the season or wait until the next season is published and just extend that a bit. 

The latter would then make the itineraries more monotonous - oh sorry in P&O speak that should probably say more cost effective as they are doing the same ports regularly.  Sounds very P&O to me.