Looks like Vancouver will start simulation cruises.

BlerkOne

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It doesnt say these are the simulation cruises required by cdc. 

It seems these are simulations to make sure this port is ready. 

Canada isn't under the jurisdiction of the US or CDC.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Canada isn't under the jurisdiction of the US or CDC.

Yes but all the cruises from Vancouver are because they go to usa ports.

I agree these simulations aren't for the cdc. I am pretty sure alaska this summer is toast. Canada still has their border blocked to americans.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Yes but all the cruises from Vancouver are because they go to usa ports.

I agree these simulations aren't for the cdc. I am pretty sure alaska this summer is toast. Canada still has their border blocked to americans.

Even as a Canadian...if I leave the country, when I come back into Canada, I have to get a negative covid test AND quarantine for 14 days...which means if I do an Alaska cruise...I have to quarantine too.  So that means everyone coming off a ship (no matter where you are from) would have to quarantine.  This is the main reason why I don't think there will be a Alaska season this year.  But...maybe between our two countries, the next few months will see a great reductions in cases...one can hope (and dream).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The simulation written about in the article is for the flow of luggage and passengers within the cruise terminal. It has nothing to do with protocols on the ships.

and trust me...it needs it.  I live near the Vancouver port and we do a lot of cruises from Vancouver as we don't have to fly to get there...it is the worst port for organization of people.  Sure hope it has gotten better because that is a port that can't handle more than 1 ship of people very well at all.

1 hour ago, stefndoug said:

Even as a Canadian...if I leave the country, when I come back into Canada, I have to get a negative covid test AND quarantine for 14 days...which means if I do an Alaska cruise...I have to quarantine too.  So that means everyone coming off a ship (no matter where you are from) would have to quarantine.  This is the main reason why I don't think there will be a Alaska season this year.  But...maybe between our two countries, the next few months will see a great reductions in cases...one can hope (and dream).

My travel agent is in Canada, and posts a lot, so I know. And I said same same, that I dont see alaska happening because of canadas closed border. Canadians can fly here no test, cant fly home without quarantine etc. 

Alaska is toast lol until canada opens its border.

I got my first vaccination I'll be ready to get out but cruises wouldnt br happening. Let's hope as vaccinations kick in the positives go down. I'm going to wait for 2023 for alaska. No hurry since I've been there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My travel agent is in Canada, and posts a lot, so I know. And I said same same, that I dont see alaska happening because of canadas closed border. Canadians can fly here no test, cant fly home without quarantine etc. 

I got my first vaccination I'll be ready to get out but cruises wouldnt br happening. Let's hope as vaccinations kick in the positives go down. I'm going to wait for 2023 for alaska. No hurry since I've been there.

I hear the US is going to require a negative Covid test now for anyone flying into the US.  That is going to changes things a little.  

Yup, been to Alaska a number of times...it is our easy cruise...hop onto the skytrain and viola...we are at the cruise port 🙂

2 hours ago, stefndoug said:

and trust me...it needs it.  I live near the Vancouver port and we do a lot of cruises from Vancouver as we don't have to fly to get there...it is the worst port for organization of people.  Sure hope it has gotten better because that is a port that can't handle more than 1 ship of people very well at all.

I agree Vancouver can be a disaster - maybe they will try to address that before restarting. Vancouver is a necessary evil for North or Southbound Alaska cruises because of PVSA. You see so much more than RT Seattle cruises.

I pay no attention to the negative Nancys (Karens?) - every journey begins with a single step. Covid is killing thousands everyday in the US and it is unlikely herd immunity will be achieved in 2021, even with the vaccines. But hopefully we will see great progress. Again, every journey begins with a single step.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I agree Vancouver can be a disaster

I'll offer a different perspective.  Up until 2019, I never found embarkation or disembarkation at Vancouver to be an issue.  Superior to the Port of Miami, in my opinion.  My 2019 embarkation experience on the Westerdam was a different story because--I guess--construction/remodeling issues that impacted the guest experience in getting to the check-in area, from the check-in area, and to the embarkation area.  With all the walking that was required, I was worn out when I got on the ship.  

Returning on Coral Princess--and having learned my lesson a few weeks before--I requested wheelchair assistance from Princess to get off the ship and to the transfer bus to the airport.  That worked well and given the amount of walking, standing, and waiting that was required, I made a good decision.  

Vancouver is a great city and a most scenic and enjoyable port from which to sail or arrive.  I always look forward to another visit to Vancouver!

On 1/13/2021 at 1:25 PM, BlerkOne said:

To me, this is encouraging news.  Somebody is doing something!

Having relatives who live in Alaska, saying that the 2021 Alaska season is "toast" hurts.  It's too early for such comments.  Yes, such may well become true.  But, please, let's allow 2021 play out with a degree of optimism.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I'll offer a different perspective.  Up until 2019, I never found embarkation or disembarkation at Vancouver to be an issue.  Superior to the Port of Miami, in my opinion.  My 2019 embarkation experience on the Westerdam was a different story because--I guess--construction/remodeling issues that impacted the guest experience in getting to the check-in area, from the check-in area, and to the embarkation area.  With all the walking that was required, I was worn out when I got on the ship.  

Returning on Coral Princess--and having learned my lesson a few weeks before--I requested wheelchair assistance from Princess to get off the ship and to the transfer bus to the airport.  That worked well and given the amount of walking, standing, and waiting that was required, I made a good decision.  

Vancouver is a great city and a most scenic and enjoyable port from which to sail or arrive.  I always look forward to another visit to Vancouver!

Vancouver is a great city and for some time I have thought the port of Miami sucks, but last time wasn't too bad. It's been over a decade since I last sailed from Vancouver, so no doubt something is bound to have changed. I don't remember it being a disaster the first time, but that was sometime last century.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Vancouver is a great city and for some time I have thought the port of Miami sucks, but last time wasn't too bad.

My Vancouver experience was 2019 and my Port of Miami experience was January, 2020.  I drove to/from the Port of Miami and used their parking garages.  The parking situation was fine.  The garage near the Western end of the Port had much space.  But, the traffic situation within the Port, getting to the Terminal for luggage drop-off and for then getting to the proper lane to getting to the garage:  😠

Driving into that Port is a mistake that I will never make again.  How my car didn't get a "ding and dent" is only due to other drivers who were helpful in allowing me to inch my way into the proper lanes.  

On 1/13/2021 at 1:49 PM, firefly333 said:

People who took land tours this past summer said it was their best vacation- no crowds.

i may have to consider ( being from Seattle ) should cruising not return for the 2021 season

On 1/13/2021 at 3:59 PM, BlerkOne said:

I pay no attention to the negative Nancys (Karens?) - every journey begins with a single step....

Yes, and my hope is that a single step will be to stop labelling the legitimate Karens as troublemakers. 🤣

Seriously, Alaska is beautiful and it was the last cruise we had to cancel before Covid (family vacation with our grown children, so excited!), BUT - you would not find us on a cruise ship in 2021 to any destination. Even with the vaccines, the closed borders, and quarantine upon returning, it will still take time.

• Like 1