They cancelled my Yacht club and put me in a Regular Balcony without my permission

mscdivina2016

They cancelled my Yacht club and put me in a regular Balcony without my permission.

Got an email confirmation that my cruise was booked at 5.45pm yesterday.

Next email is at 6.15pm canceling my Yacht club.

All have same booking number????

I booked Yacht club last July direct with MSC for an inside.

Now I am on the same cruise (b2b) with the same booking number but in a regular Balcony cabin for only $500 less in a Bella category no less. I always get the booze package. So if I added booze it would cost me $900 more than what I had. 

I called at 6.30 as soon as I saw the emails. I have to wait till Monday now because the promo I booked was no longer available and the current price is $1800 more.

I am not happy. They kept me on the phone last night for 30 minutes with no resolve yet. One problem is my cabin is gone on both b2b cruises.

Any thoughts? I am Diamond, and have 2 other Yacht club cruises booked 

This is the 2nd time in several months as NCL did the same to me.

Steve

• Like 1

Ship and sail date?  It would be pretty harsh if MSC decided to bump you for someone willing to pay that $1800 more.  I can understand not being willing to take the cruise in these cabin downgrade situations, I hope you will be given the option to cancel if MSC can't change you back.  It seemed that MSC had stopped this practice.  I haven't heard of any cases since Seaside's introduction, and lately it's only been when MSC changes the ship.  I think MSC charges the current fare for the new cabin and not what that cabin cost when you booked months ago.  Perhaps you can get them to agree to a decent deal if you upgrade to a Deluxe?  I've learned to keep a screenshot of what the cabin prices were at the time I booked. 

Unfortunately the Conditions Of Carriage make them more willing to do these types of things.

3.  OCCUPATION OF BERTHS AND CABINS

3. A Passenger shall not have the right to exclusive occupancy of a cabin with two (2) or more berths unless he has paid supplement for exclusive occupation. The Carrier reserves the right to transfer the Passenger from one cabin to another and may adjust the fare accordingly. The Master or the Carrier may, if it becomes advisable or necessary, at any time transfer a Passenger from one berth to another.

2 hours ago, Até said:

Ship and sail date?  It would be pretty harsh if MSC decided to bump you for someone willing to pay that $1800 more.  I can understand not being willing to take the cruise in these cabin downgrade situations, I hope you will be given the option to cancel if MSC can't change you back.  It seemed that MSC had stopped this practice.  I haven't heard of any cases since Seaside's introduction, and lately it's only been when MSC changes the ship.  I think MSC charges the current fare for the new cabin and not what that cabin cost when you booked months ago.  Perhaps you can get them to agree to a decent deal if you upgrade to a Deluxe?  I've learned to keep a screenshot of what the cabin prices were at the time I booked. 

Unfortunately the Conditions Of Carriage make them more willing to do these types of things.

3.  OCCUPATION OF BERTHS AND CABINS

3. A Passenger shall not have the right to exclusive occupancy of a cabin with two (2) or more berths unless he has paid supplement for exclusive occupation. The Carrier reserves the right to transfer the Passenger from one cabin to another and may adjust the fare accordingly. The Master or the Carrier may, if it becomes advisable or necessary, at any time transfer a Passenger from one berth to another.

Seaview 3/12/2022.

Over a year away. I saw what you posted regarding occupation of a cabin, but mine only holds 2 people therefor I would be safe. If we read it differently, the next question would be why is it advisable or necessary to move me now over a year away.  Defeats the book now to lock in the best rates and best cabin mantra.  There is a Yacht club grand Suite available to transfer me to. 🙂

We will see on Monday what happens.  

Steve

I underlined the significant part of section three, I didn't want to edit it and kept the entirety of the section.

MSC seems to be having trouble with the allotment of YC cabins on those Seaview sailings.  They seem to have not made many available for the Barbados embarkations, YC inventory has been almost zero since those sailings were first offered.  I wonder if MSC may be making some changes regarding this.

Just to update.....

Called this morning and late this afternoon. I am being told its being worked on. I asked them to verify the cabin is still available and was told no as the reservation was cancelled. It also appears the regular balcony cabin reservation is also cancelled.

I was told they will do what they need to do make make things OK with me?????

The way I see it, just put it back like it was. Boot who ever has it now out and put them in a regular balcony cabin as I know they already know how to do that.😠

Steve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Just to update.....

Called this morning and late this afternoon. I am being told its being worked on. I asked them to verify the cabin is still available and was told no as the reservation was cancelled. It also appears the regular balcony cabin reservation is also cancelled.

The way I see it, just put it back like it was. Boot who ever has it now out and put them in a regular balcony cabin as I know they already know how to do that.😠

Steve

Are you sure you want to keep dealing with this cruise line? I'd demand my deposit back and start looking elsewhere.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Just to update.....

Steve

It would be good to know why MSC has done this. It does not inspire much trust if they accept your booking and just change it or cancel it.

13 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

Are you sure you want to keep dealing with this cruise line? I'd demand my deposit back and start looking elsewhere.

I like them overall. I hold top status and I have 2 more Yacht club cruises booked.

If something goes wrong, I expect them to work it out for my benefit. I will take any 14 day cruise that is sold and advertised as 14 days or more in Yacht club anywhere in the world thru 2024. They can pick it, I want it at the price I paid and an upgrade.😁

Plus I have $10,000 in FCC I think.

STeve

• Like 2

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

It would be good to know why MSC has done this. It does not inspire much trust if they accept your booking and just change it or cancel it.

I want to know too. I am not happy that I need to waste my time so much on a cruise that's 15 months away. Just fix it. I am not going away and I live 2 hours away from Miami if need be.

STeve

Another update.... I am re-booked in yacht club but no cabin assigned. The price is a $1000 more but they will adjust it back to the original price when a cabin is assigned.

To make matters worse, they did this with a new booking number and required a much larger deposit than the $99 a person originally.

My travel insurance wants $90 more for insurance because of the price currently. I called them and they told me that in the event of a claim, I need the original booking paperwork.

The cancellation penalties are different as well.

Lastly, they wont take my FCC?????????  I emailed them on that.

Steve

Edited by mscdivina2016

19 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Another update.... I am re-booked in yacht club but no cabin assigned. The price is a $1000 more but they will adjust it back to the original price when a cabin is assigned.

To make matters worse, they did this with a new booking number and required a much larger deposit than the $99 a person originally.

My travel insurance wants $90 more for insurance because of the price currently. I called them and they told me that in the event of a claim, I need the original booking paperwork.

Steve

Why are they refusing to take your FCC ?

30 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Steve

Oh man, just realized we know each other.   Part of my brain kept looking at your CC name and bugging me.

sounds like you you’re experience is almost like mine.

Had YC booked for 15 day cruise, out of Miami, for November. Roll call member alerted me to cruise disappearing and MSC changing us to different ship, different ports and leaving two weeks later. Cabin was listed as unassigned on that one.

Then the 15 day came back on MSC site. Had my TA change us back to the original 15 day but, MSC wants $2,000 more now. He is working on getting it fixed. Our original cabin is not available ( except if you book the 7 day, it is available)  new cabin is close to the original.

It does seem strange they can change cruise, without any email or notification to another ship , ports and date and consider it same booking. When we wanted it restored to original booking, it is now considered an new booking with new price. (I booked this in April of last year)

when our cruise to Iceland was cancelled last spring, I opted for refund, as I do not trust FCC, with any line. I was able to get full refund, 6 months later.

currently have 3 on the books for late fall. May only keep 2 - 7 day - (B2B) and get rid of the 15 day , If they will not fix it.

hope it works out for you, take care. Hope to see you and Debbie onboard another cruise, someday.

Pat 

23 hours ago, phissy said:

Oh man, just realized we know each other.   Part of my brain kept looking at your CC name and bugging me.

sounds like you you’re experience is almost like mine.

Had YC booked for 15 day cruise, out of Miami, for November. Roll call member alerted me to cruise disappearing and MSC changing us to different ship, different ports and leaving two weeks later. Cabin was listed as unassigned on that one.

Then the 15 day came back on MSC site. Had my TA change us back to the original 15 day but, MSC wants $2,000 more now. He is working on getting it fixed. Our original cabin is not available ( except if you book the 7 day, it is available)  new cabin is close to the original.

It does seem strange they can change cruise, without any email or notification to another ship , ports and date and consider it same booking. When we wanted it restored to original booking, it is now considered an new booking with new price. (I booked this in April of last year)

when our cruise to Iceland was cancelled last spring, I opted for refund, as I do not trust FCC, with any line. I was able to get full refund, 6 months later.

currently have 3 on the books for late fall. May only keep 2 - 7 day - (B2B) and get rid of the 15 day , If they will not fix it.

hope it works out for you, take care. Hope to see you and Debbie onboard another cruise, someday.

Pat 

HI Pat,

I thought your screen name looked familiar😊

I was on the phone with them today about it and its being fixed finally. Still trying to get my FCC applied and I found out why it cannot. I don't have a cabin so it can't be applied they said. But once I have one assigned I can apply it.  SO I asked what if a cabin is not assigned before final payment? Good question they said.☹️

MSC a few months ago changed my UAE ship from Seaview to one of their older ships for a cruise next month, which they cancelled last week.

Glad to hear from you again

STeve

8 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Final update,

MSC took care of everything and more to my satisfaction. It took a little bit longer than I would have preferred, but they did a great job and I now have a booked cabin for both cruises.

Steve

Great news Steve, and good to hear from you.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen several posts similar to OP's and problems like this are more likely to get aired on this forum.  Compared to the amount of bookings I'd say these problems are somewhat rare.  But if it you do have a problem MSC US can be very slow and difficult to resolve issues.  Personally I think this case was solved comparatively quickly, eleven days.