Word cruise Patter Daily

cdanjou

I am sorry to ask, but how would the activities on a previous WC be relevant? Activities are planned by the Cruise Director and we don't know in advance if the former CDs will still be working for Princess. Entertainment is limited by the entertainers who are contracted by Head Office and it is up to the CD to schedule performances and lectures.

@cdanjou

I don't know if it will help but here is a complete Sea Day from a segment of a World Cruise we did a few years ago.

I have a Port Day too.

I have others I could scan if you are interested.   Drop me a line at the address below.

Mike/casofilia

Sea 1.jpg

Sea 2.jpg

Sea 3.jpg

Sea 4.jpg

Edited by casofilia

3 hours ago, cdanjou said:

I am interested in finding out the kind of activities going on on sea days. Is there yoga? Cooking demonstration? Afternoon tea? Solo and single mingle? Enrichment conference? 

Thx.

I can only refer to what Princess was offering before COVID. I have never seen a cooking demo on Princess. Afternoon tea is available every sea day in one of the dining rooms (served) and also in the buffet. I haven't seen yoga classes but that would depend on the fitness staff. There are usually solo meet and mingle gatherings.

Enrichment conference - If you mean enrichment lectures I believe there won't be as many of these as previously. There will probably be port lectures.

7 hours ago, cdanjou said:

Would anyone have a few Patter Daily from the latest world cruise? I am specifically looking for At Sea days.

Have you been on Princess before?

If so, a world cruise sea day is mostly like a sea day on all of their cruises.

The main differences may be

a) Port lectures are likely to really be about the port and not an excuse to point you to favorite merchants. (Caribbean ports may be more the sales talks.)

b) Lectures on various subjects. May apply to the part of the world being visited or may be on a non-cruise topic of interest.

10 hours ago, cdanjou said:

I am interested in finding out the kind of activities going on on sea days. Is there yoga? Cooking demonstration? Afternoon tea? Solo and single mingle? Enrichment conference? 

Thx.

Pre- Covid answers

Yoga - maybe but with a fee. Daily Zumba, no charge.

Cooking - Always at least one

Afternoon Tea - Yes every day port & sea normally at 3pm

Solo & single - maybe

Enrichment - Yes both port and educational lectures

9 hours ago, skynight said:

Pre- Covid answers

Yoga - maybe but with a fee. Daily Zumba, no charge.

Cooking - Always at least one

Afternoon Tea - Yes every day port & sea normally at 3pm

Solo & single - maybe

Enrichment - Yes both port and educational lectures

I haven't ever seen cooking demonstrations (other than the one in the theatre that precedes the tour of the galley). I don't really count that as a serious demo.

I have only seen afternoon tea in the dining room on sea days, never on port days. I think it is usually 3.30pm.

I have always seen a solo and single meeting scheduled.

There will be fewer enrichment lectures other than port lectures and (on some cruises) shopping lectures although these do not happen in all parts of the world.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I haven't ever seen cooking demonstrations (other than the one in the theatre that precedes the tour of the galley). I don't really count that as a serious demo.

I have only seen afternoon tea in the dining room on sea days, never on port days. I think it is usually 3.30pm.

Yes, this is the cooking demo that they always seem to have. There are also food carving demos on almost every Princess voyage. 

I have seen afternoon tea on both port and sea days, but this is really up to the matire'd and can change per voyage or matire'd.

51 minutes ago, skynight said:

Yes, this is the cooking demo that they always seem to have. There are also food carving demos on almost every Princess voyage. 

I have seen afternoon tea on both port and sea days, but this is really up to the matire'd and can change per voyage or matire'd.

Does Princess sometimes have afternoon tea in the dining room on port days? I doubt it. They stopped serving lunch in the dining room many years (maybe eight  to ten years) ago because so many passengers are off the ship.

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Which cruise lines do you think have a serious demonstration? In my memory most of the larger cruise lines perform like this (quick demo in the theatre / atrium).

Some more premium cruise lines, such as Holland America and Oceania, has a designated cooking classroom on certain ships for culinary classes. Do you refer to this type of demonstrations?

55 minutes ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Which cruise lines do you think have a serious demonstration? In my memory most of the larger cruise lines perform like this (quick demo in the theatre / atrium).

Some more premium cruise lines, such as Holland America and Oceania, has a designated cooking classroom on certain ships for culinary classes. Do you refer to this type of demonstrations?

I was thinking of proper cooking demos or even ones where passengers can book a class, rather than the humorous one in the main theatre on Princess ships. I also don't think of the vegetable carving demos carried out by some of the kitchen staff as proper cooking demos.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I was thinking of proper cooking demos or even ones where passengers can book a class, rather than the humorous one in the main theatre on Princess ships. I also don't think of the vegetable carving demos carried out by some of the kitchen staff as proper cooking demos.

With almost 50 cruises on Princess I have never seen passenger participation cooking classes. I don't believe any Princess ship has the facilities for passenger cooking classes. I have seen smaller cooking demos in the atrium where a few popular dishes are prepared and maybe a passenger or two get involved in a small way. But, it isn't in a way to learn cooking.

11 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Does Princess sometimes have afternoon tea in the dining room on port days? I doubt it. They stopped serving lunch in the dining room many years (maybe eight  to ten years) ago because so many passengers are off the ship.

Our experience is yes, we have had afternoon tea on port days. On port days we tend to stay on board or take a morning walk around the port. We are on board almost every afternoon, and frequently attend the afternoon tea on port days along with many others including passengers just returning from tours who stop in for tea and finger sandwiches. We have not been on Australian itineraries. Maybe they are different. 

9 hours ago, skynight said:

Our experience is yes, we have had afternoon tea on port days. On port days we tend to stay on board or take a morning walk around the port. We are on board almost every afternoon, and frequently attend the afternoon tea on port days along with many others including passengers just returning from tours who stop in for tea and finger sandwiches. We have not been on Australian itineraries. Maybe they are different. 

I am surprised that afternoon tea would be available in the dining room on port days. It is available every day in the buffet. BTW, although the vast majority of my cruises have been on Australian-based itineraries, I have been on several out of US ports.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am surprised that afternoon tea would be available in the dining room on port days. It is available every day in the buffet. BTW, although the vast majority of my cruises have been on Australian-based itineraries, I have been on several out of US ports.

Yes, tea has been available every day in the buffet from 5am until 11pm and sometimes after that. If you sit down waiters will serve it to you. You can also get tea served by the waiters around the pool areas. Self serve food items are available at the buffet. If you have one of the 3 beverage packages that include specialty coffees you can also get unlimited specialty teas, mighty leaf, at the International Cafe 24/7 and pick up a dessert at the same time. Without one of the beverage packages there is a small charge for specialty teas. The Grand Princess has a special tea room. Don't know much about it.

Edited by skynight

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Yes, tea has been available every day in the buffet from 5am until 11pm and sometimes after that. If you sit down waiters will serve it to you. You can also get tea served by the waiters around the pool areas. Self serve food items are available at the buffet. If you have one of the 3 beverage packages that include specialty coffees you can also get unlimited specialty teas, mighty leaf, at the International Cafe 24/7 and pick up a dessert at the same time. Without one of the beverage packages there is a small charge for specialty teas. The Grand Princess has a special tea room. Don't know much about it.

Maybe we haven't been talking about the same thing when we discuss 'afternoon tea'. I don't consider having food available at the buffet in the middle of the afternoon as a proper 'afternoon tea'.

On the ships I have been on, there is a fancy afternoon tea served in one of the dining rooms where platters of food and pots of tea/coffee are brought around the room and served. However, I have only seen this on sea days. Of course, the buffet is open from usually 6am to 11pm. At 3.30 special items classified as 'afternoon tea' are also available, but it is 'serve yourself' - or has been pre-COVID.

In my earlier post when I mentioned that afternoon tea is available only on sea days, I specified that I was talking about afternoon tea in the dining room.🙂

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

It was available on port days when I checked for previous Princess Patters in 2014 and 2017. Not sure if this was still the same after 2017.

Right. It used to be available every day in a dining room except embarkation day. Sometime in the past couple of years it was eliminated on port days.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, skynight said:

With almost 50 cruises on Princess I have never seen passenger participation cooking classes. I don't believe any Princess ship has the facilities for passenger cooking classes. .

I have seen this on one cruise.

The corporate executive chef was on board and held a serious cooking class two times in the aft lounge.

For the first class he had a female passenger assist. For the second class he had a male passenger assist.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Right. It used to be available every day in a dining room except embarkation day. Sometime in the past couple of years it was eliminated on port days.

Port day afternoon tea was available on the Crown in February 2020 just before the shut down. That's enough discussion about tea.