New CDC guidance

Porcupine 52

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Would that mean no masks on an enclosed space  (ship) with fully vaccinated passengers and crew?

Yes. With daily testing and a 100% vaccinated ship, we would be safe without masks. The key issue is the rest of the world. I believe by the late Fall/Winter we should be safe to visit ports.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

Yes. With daily testing and a 100% vaccinated ship, we would be safe without masks. The key issue is the rest of the world. I believe by the late Fall/Winter we should be safe to visit ports.

I certainly hope so too.  Today's announcement had some other interesting info too.  Using the CDC's own numbers, something over 9% of the US population is now fully vaccinated.  That exceeds the number of TOTAL cases reported by the CDC for the virus since counting began.  And that's for total cases reported by the CDC, a figure contested by numerous sources as being, shall we say, "over enthusiastic".  Any way you look at it it is time to let cruising start up.  There really needs to be help for the Alaska season as so many up there depend on the 4 or so months of season for their living.  

• Like 2

Jim Avery wrote: “Any way you look at it it is time to let cruising start up.”

I agree regarding Alaska but it resuming cruising is easier said than done! With few exceptions, the rest of the world is lagging US vaccination progress. Assuming cruises begin in the Summer or Fall, Viking will be revising itineraries and changing ports left and right. Even December’s World Cruise will likely be a juggling act. Those itineraries with a lot of sea days should be easier for Viking to handle. Expect more days at sea.

2022, however, should literally be a breath of fresh air for those cruise companies that make it to the finish line.

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 1

This is the most positive news we have heard in many many months.  Hopefully Viking issues a statement soon on this very important announcement.  We are scheduled to take our first VIKING CRUISE on November 26th and have been looking forward to it.  Planning this with friends of ours is truly one of the most positive moves in such a rough year in many ways.  If anyone has heard anything from Viking on this subject please forward to us.  Hope for another positive day everyone. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Thankfully Estonia is not on the’22/‘23 WC🍸

Jim - even if Estonia was on the itinerary, we have an "in" with officialdom, as our neighbours on the '20 WC had diplomatic standing. They are also booked for '23 WC, joining same day as us.😀

• Like 1

The new CDC guidelines are indeed encouraging, and while I'd love to see cruising resume as much as anyone, I think we're still a ways off from attaining a high % of global vaccination that would make it reasonably safe. I suspect international cruising - as we've known it - to be one of the last phases of cruising to resume. The idea of a WC, at this point in time, would probably entail one of the highest levels of risk just for the number of ports typically scheduled. "Cruises to nowhere", with no port stops, would probably be the most logical place to start, followed by cruises (at least within the US) involving port stops with supervised / limitied excursion or otherwise off-ship experiences; THEN probably resume typical international cruises. Fine to take off masks on a ship where everyone has been vaccinated, but that doesn't account for guest exposure in airports, hotels, planes, trains, taxis, etc. - either pre or post cruise, not to mention the variables associated with independent travel (especially pre-cruise). I don't see where we are quite yet as time to restart cruising. If this thing gets going too soon and we wind up with floating covid ships, it could really set the industry back an additional year..or longer. The big elephant in the room is still the unknown as to how long vaccine effectiveness will be and, subsequently, how soon or how often will booster shots be needed?  So many variables with only being a year into this. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

6 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'd love to see cruising resume as much as anyone, but we're still a ways off from attaining a high % of global vaccination. I suspect international cruising - as we've known it - to be one of the last phases of cruising to resume. "Cruises to nowhere", with no ports stops, would probably be the most logical place to start, followed by cruises at least within the US involving port stops with very supervised / limitied excursion or otherwise off-ship experiences; THEN probably typical international cruises. Fine to take off masks on a ship where everyone has been vaccinated, but that doesn't account for guest exposure in airports, hotels - either pre or post cruise, not to mention the variables associated with independent travel (especially pre-cruise). I don't see where we are quite yet as time to restart cruising. 

this is the big question...At what point will we be ready to get back to doing international cruising...What % of  global vaccinations do we need?  What year will that be reached? 2022...2023?  Does the vaccine account for exposure in airports..pre cruise?  Glad I don't have to made the decision but at some point we are going to have to take some risk.  I had 3 friends and a cousin die of the virus....Not taking this lightly.

Edited by Porcupine 52
  • Like 2

Yeah..if you've known someone personally who was lost to covid, like you..and I...and many others...it really gives pause for reflection on taking precautions, etc. And yet, agree with you totally that some risks have to be taken. Life keeps happening apace whether during a  pandemic or otherwise. 

10 hours ago, duquephart said:

places like Estonia may not give a rat's ass what the CDC has to say.

Why would they, given that the CDC is primarily a US federal organization, not global, although they technically are supposed to also be concerned with international health concerns. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 days ago I emailed Viking to see what type of documentation they would need for the vaccine and

one of the reps called me back.

Surprisingly, she said Viking will not be requiring vaccines to board the ship. She referred me to the Viking site under health and safety for full details.

I know we are still months away from the 1st cruise, will wait to see what transpires.

• Like 1

OTJ:

We have a long journey ahead of us before cruises resume. I agree with your post.  I looked at our Panama Canal cruise in December and all of the countries are below 4% vaccination rate as of today. What could change things? Hopefully there will be more and additional vaccines produced by companies to help speed things up. I have no doubt the US will be in good shape by this Fall. The $1000 question is the rest of the world. So to resume, Viking will likely have to revise itineraries, require proof of vaccinations and do testing. The number of ports may be reduced. Will Viking's loyal customers buy all of this? 

• Like 1

Cruising on a ship with 100% of the crew and passengers vaccinated and daily saliva covid testing seems pretty darn safe to me.  Common sense practice of masking and social distancing in airports and flights has been in practice for months with little or no risk, in fact we have flown in the US and the Caribbean with no problems.  The same common sense practice must be mandated in ports and excursions in other countries, especially masking.  Given these practices and continuing vaccinations the risk of cruising is decreasing monthly.  Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance but for many of us, we are getting real close to an acceptable level of risk.  For others, wait until you are comfortable.

• Like 4

Like I have said I have had the vaccine since August of last year...I was 99.9% sure I got the real deal because the 2nd shot kind of made me well... flu like.  But even though I have been unblinded now I still wear my mask, do take out if I go out and try to do my running outside with a mask.  In a strange way knowing  that I have the vaccine hasn't changed my lifestyle.  Not sure my thinking is right....

I think when summer comes and maybe more people have gotten the shot I will feel better about being around people..... Kind of sad right now.  You see some one on the street and you look at them as a threat rather than a fellow human.  

To me the big question(or at least one of them) is if/when Viking will require vaccines for all passengers.  We're booked on a 2022 cruise and I spoke with them today and was told that they are waiting to see what percent of the population becomes vaccinated before they decide.  If somewhere in the area of 70-80% are vaccinated then they might require it, but if lower they probably won't.  Sadly, it feels to me like they're more concerned about losing passengers who refuse to vaccinate then keeping those who are and I for one would feel much safer knowing that everyone else on the ship is also vaccinated.  We may be looking to move to a different cruise line whose priorities are in line with ours. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ChocolateCoop said:

Sadly, it feels to me like they're more concerned about losing passengers who refuse to vaccinate then keeping those who are and I for one would feel much safer knowing that everyone else on the ship is also vaccinated.  We may be looking to move to a different cruise line whose priorities are in line with ours. 

Agree.  In light of the forward thinking in building covid testing labs onboard, why in the world would Viking allow unvaccinated passengers or crew on board?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChocolateCoop said:

To me the big question(or at least one of them) is if/when Viking will require vaccines for all passengers.  We're booked on a 2022 cruise and I spoke with them today and was told that they are waiting to see what percent of the population becomes vaccinated before they decide.  If somewhere in the area of 70-80% are vaccinated then they might require it, but if lower they probably won't.  Sadly, it feels to me like they're more concerned about losing passengers who refuse to vaccinate then keeping those who are and I for one would feel much safer knowing that everyone else on the ship is also vaccinated.  We may be looking to move to a different cruise line whose priorities are in line with ours. 

It could be a mute point, as if a number of countries introduce COVID vaccine requirements, cruise lines will have no option, other than changing itineraries.

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

It could be a mute point, as if a number of countries introduce COVID vaccine requirements, cruise lines will have no option, other than changing itineraries.

May also be a moot point.