Bergen Port Call 2022

We were booked on the Regal Princess Iceland & Norway cruise on 26th June 2021 from Southampton. It’s now cancelled, but back in January Princess advised us that the intended port call in Bergen was cancelled due to port congestion. Shame, but that’s the way it goes. 

We have now taken up Princess’ offer to roll over our cancelled trip to the identical cruise in 2022. I notice that Bergen is still not included as a port call so wondered if there it must be down to similar congestion in 2022? Is Bergen permanently congested???

• Like 1

That is interesting. We were booked on the Scandinavia cruise in June and Gothenburg got hooked and was replaced by Skagen. The reason was, "Port Congestion," Fast forward a year and the similar cruise still has no Gothenburg, so the Port Congestion seems to be an opt out. By the way I have been to Bergen a number of times with no problem.

I suspected Port Congestion might be an easy excuse Kentman. 

I was slightly irked when Bergen was cancelled from the 2021 schedule but delighted when we could transfer over to the same trip in 2022, pleased wit( the very real thought that Bergen might have been reinstated. We’ve never been there.

So 2022 is a direct replacement for 2021 at the point of cancellation, but not at the point of booking. Disappointing.

I agree about the use of "congestion' as an excuse. We are booked  on a cruise in July 2022(another cruise line, not Princess),with ONE  WEEK of it in Norway, including full day in Bergen.

I would post your question on the  northern European boards.  Many local experts there.  I remember  before COVID there was talk about environmental concerns and ships.  Specifically, with regard to  the Norwegian Government  taking significant action, and that changes would start occurring from 2022 foreword.  We originally had a cruise  for this year. I looked for this a few weeks ago and could not find it.   Please report back if you get more information.  

The rescheduled cruise for 2022 is on Sky Princess rather than Regal, but it’s the same size ship.

It is what it is, Princess have let us move to the 2022 cruise at the 2021 price point, but I did have a tinge of disappointment about Bergen not being in the itinerary.

I do feel that Port Congestion is a convenient excuse. I shall make it my mission to find out how many cruise ships there are in Bergen on Monday 28th 2022! 

We visited Bergen as part of a Norwegian Fjords Princess cruise in August 2019.  We found it to be a fascinating port.  I believe cruise ships dock in a couple of different locations in that city.  If I remember correctly there were 3 ships in port that day but the other 2 were smaller than the Sapphire Princess we were on.  It was an amazing city and I wish we had much more time to spend there.  We were only there from 7:00 am - 2:00 pm.

9 hours ago, Deep Thinking Fish said:

I do feel that Port Congestion is a convenient excuse. I shall make it my mission to find out how many cruise ships there are in Bergen on Monday 28th 2022! 

Yes it is a commonly used excuse, since most of the passengers would not really check if there is port congestion. 😄 At this moment I only find Saga's Spirit of Adventure in Bergen on that day.

I have seen many unusual excuses from various cruise lines about itinerary change, and indeed nobody can verify the truth unless you know somebody who works at their port authority.