Alaska Senators & "Alaska Tourism Recovery Act"; a technical fix for Alaska Cruises

nini

11 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Does this bill not also apply to the airlines?   Negating foreign airlines flying from one US city to another.   

No, that is the Civil Aviation Act, which grants this cabotage for airlines to every country.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

While CLIA has stated that they are working with governments to get a work around, possibly for the current Alaska season, they do not want permanent changes to the PVSA,

exactly my point - a temporary situation

It's not the PVSA but the CDC killing off the AK season.  Even if by some miracle Congress passes a temporary moratorium on PVSA, the CDC still won't let you get onto a cruise ship anyway.  If CDC relented on its shutdown of the industry here but Congress didn't take action on the PVSA then Canada would be blocking the AK season this year.  I'm a firm believer in hope and the power of positive thinking, but I don't believe in false hopes.

37 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That figure is from CLIA.  Direct spending is for:  goods and services (food, fuel, booze, tugs, longshoremen, pilots) and taxes to local, state, and federal governments (property tax on their headquarters, and Social Security tax for their US employees).  What the goods and services providers, do with the money they get from the cruise line, is indirect spending, i.e. "re-spending" that money over and over through the economy.  Yes, the cruise line generates indirect spending, but so does a stimulus dollar, and at a much higher rate than the cruise lines.  I know perfectly well how much fuel a cruise ship burns, I signed for it for several years, as well as signing for fuel for the last 35 years every time my ship bunkered.  And, you know what?  Even when the ship is US flag, that fuel is not taxed by any entity, as the ship signs a form declaring it to be used in either interstate, or international commerce, and therefore not subject to state or federal governments.

So, if you spend $700 for a cruise, per person, about $1 of that comes from the cruise line as direct spending, or 0.14% is available to generate indirect spending.  While a stimulus dollar returns 100% to generate indirect spending.

Thanks for the informative post. People for some reason love to claim knowledge over real expertise in areas they really dont understand.  (sarcasm: i take cruises, so I understand maritime economics, i watch fox news so i know public health better than the CDC, Fauci must go). Everyone with no real experience in government, law or regulation knows better than our experienced officials.  Sort of drives real experts with a lifetime of detailed knowledge nuts, I imagine.

Driving me off this forum. People are so focused on rushing to get to that buffet, they are willing to let people die or risk globally speading varients that keep covid with us for decades.  Couldnt pausibly be that the CDC has good scientific or national interest reasons for caution. They just want to spoil our fun because they are evil beaurocrats cause a billionaire CEO's media empire that would profit (but is unharmed financially by deaths) tells me so.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2021 at 3:14 PM, chengkp75 said:

.........Out of the fare each passenger pays, say $700 per cruise, only about $1 comes back to the US in direct spending, which is then available for indirect spending and total economic impact.  However, targeted assistance, or even means to get the  tourists to Alaska so that their money is spent in Alaska, if using US resources (US relief funds, or US airline subsidies) would result in every single dollar of money invested being returned as direct spending.

Interesting article, showing money that will be spent in the US and the taxes and profits that businesses will reap from the indirect and direct spending, at JUST one port that is beginning to start construction in Galveston, Texas.

https://www.portofgalveston.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=161

2 hours ago, restasured said:

Interesting article, showing money that will be spent in the US and the taxes and profits that businesses will reap from the indirect and direct spending, at JUST one port that is beginning to start construction in Galveston, Texas.

https://www.portofgalveston.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=161

And the vast majority of those economic impacts listed are not from direct spending.  How much revenue are the cruise lines going to take in from the passengers at that terminal?  Then look at direct spending, and see the return on investment from all those fares.  Yes, indirect spending has a great impact on economic impact, but if I have 1 in 700 dollars to generate that indirect spending, or whether I have 700 of 700 dollars, which generates more indirect spending, and hence a larger economic impact?

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And the vast majority of those economic impacts listed are not from direct spending.  How much revenue are the cruise lines going to take in from the passengers at that terminal?  Then look at direct spending, and see the return on investment from all those fares.  Yes, indirect spending has a great impact on economic impact, but if I have 1 in 700 dollars to generate that indirect spending, or whether I have 700 of 700 dollars, which generates more indirect spending, and hence a larger economic impact?

it depends

how many 1 in 700

and how many 700

%'s can easily be manipulated to an agenda

what are the TOTAL $$$ impact of each ??

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

That figure is from CLIA.  Direct spending is for:  goods and services (food, fuel, booze, tugs, longshoremen, pilots) and taxes to local, state, and federal governments (property tax on their headquarters, and Social Security tax for their US employees).  

So, if you spend $700 for a cruise, per person, about $1 of that comes from the cruise line as direct spending, or 0.14% is available to generate indirect spending.  While a stimulus dollar returns 100% to generate indirect spending.

(I'll stay away from vessel definitions!)

Isn't a single dollar, or a few if you spend more on a cruise, that low? 

How can food be a part of $1? Ships buying all their food in Miami for a $700, 4 day cruise can't feed people for $0.25 a day? Even a pilot at let's say $1000 per cruise makes a sizable dent in a few thousand single dollars. Isn't the commission paid to travel agents also supposed to be direct spending?