Alaska Senators & "Alaska Tourism Recovery Act"; a technical fix for Alaska Cruises

nini

My apologies; my intention was only to post a "glimmer of hope" for Alaska cruises this year.

The PVSA and Jones Act have been often addressed on other threads regarding the Alaska cruising season.

I just thought that it was interesting to see this online article about an attempt of a lifeline for Alaska Recovery efforts.

• Like 1

OK, so howsa 'bout the enjoyment of cruise ship passengers?  I realize this will not influence Congress, and from what everyone says, the bill is stuck in committee.

But here on Cruise Critic, shouldn't the enjoyment of "us" cruise ship passengers have something to do with it?  I know that enjoyment of cruising is my main interest here.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nini said:

My apologies; my intention was only to post a "glimmer of hope" for Alaska cruises this year.

The PVSA and Jones Act have been often addressed on other threads regarding the Alaska cruising season.

I just thought that it was interesting to see this online article about an attempt of a lifeline for Alaska Recovery efforts.

And thanks so much for posting!  Sincerely, thaniks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruiserkenn said:

OK, so howsa 'bout the enjoyment of cruise ship passengers?  I realize this will not influence Congress, and from what everyone says, the bill is stuck in committee.

But here on Cruise Critic, shouldn't the enjoyment of "us" cruise ship passengers have something to do with it?  I know that enjoyment of cruising is my main interest here.

Fine.  Uncruise, Alaska Dream Adventure, and American Cruise Line are lining up for an enlarged Alaska season.  Go for it.

• Like 2

Last action on the house bill was on Feb 25.  Does not look like they are in any hurry to take action and pass it back to the Committee of Transportation and Infrastructure.

Referred to the Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation.
Action By: Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure

I applaud the Alaska Senators for taking this action.  Considering the fact that they represent Alaska towns that are directly impacted by the lack of cruises, it is good that they tried to do something.  At least they made the effort.

I have been on 14 Alaska cruises, and two of mine for 2021 have been cancelled, by Princess.  (These were cruises to/from Vancouver, with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Whittier.)

I appreciate the Alaska Senators.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Cruiserkenn said:

I applaud the Alaska Senators for taking this action.  Considering the fact that they represent Alaska towns that are directly impacted by the lack of cruises, it is good that they tried to do something.  At least they made the effort.

I have been on 14 Alaska cruises, and two of mine for 2021 have been cancelled, by Princess.  (These were cruises to/from Vancouver, with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Whittier.)

I would recommend booking for 2022 like I have. The cruises from Vancouver are not coming back this year

Seems a little short-sighted. In 2021, after startup, 10 people on the first ship contract covid, which will make the evening news, big time.  Alaskan ports will begin to have covid spikes.   Then cruise cancellations will begin....80%, 90%, etc, etc.  

To see Alaska interior with glaciers ,Denali Ntl PK . , anchorage ,Fairbanks ,The  Kenai Penn , ie fly in & rent a car .Every thing this  Alaska season is much cheaper   . Can even rent a 4 wheel drive to go off road  to see wild life ,many glaciers ,Prince William sound ,the Fiords  ,fish for barn door halibut & salmon  ie .The very best of all worlds . 

Our favorite place to stay near Denali is the Denali Kale View inn ,a tripple diamonf AAA loding bed ^ breakfast that is a real gem over looking  Lake Otto . 

Don''t forget googling  "Alaska Discount books " to get even better buys 

Why fight the no cruise ,just do the above ,enjoy & save a lot $$$

30 minutes ago, memoak said:

I would recommend booking for 2022 like I have. The cruises from Vancouver are not coming back this year

We have the Ruby Princess booked for Sept 7 ,2022 R/T Alaska  from San Francisco  ;which is our 6th Alaska trip  . We are doing a one month vacation which includes Lake Tahoe , Carmel & Napa wine country B/4 the cruise , Then post cruise another several days to see  Hearst Castle tour ,San simeon Ca & to our daughters lovely home  b/4  driving home .in fact it might be more like 5 week trip

13 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We have the Ruby Princess booked for Sept 7 ,2022 R/T Alaska  from San Francisco  ;which is our 6th Alaska trip  . We are doing a one month vacation which includes Lake Tahoe , Carmel & Napa wine country B/4 the cruise , Then post cruise another several days to see  Hearst Castle tour ,San simeon Ca & to our daughters lovely home  b/4  driving home .in fact it might be more like 5 week trip

We have rebooked B2B 7 day north and south Vancouver for August 2022

52 minutes ago, memoak said:

We have rebooked B2B 7 day north and south Vancouver for August 2022

Our Sept 7 .2022  Ruby Princess Cruise is a 10 day R/T  SF   Alaska cruise .  It makes one stop in Canada on the way back 

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Our Sept 7 .2022  Ruby Princess Cruise is a 10 day R/T  SF   Alaska cruise .  It makes one stop in Canada on the way back 

BTW this cruise  does the Glacier Bay viewing  ;which we haven't seen since our first Alaska cruise in 2000 ;which was a smaller ship ,the Carnival jubilee . I have a   hat  pin from that cruise .Actually I have a Alaska cap dull of all Alaska pins   .That way I can remember where in Alaska we have been 

4 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

The proposed bill would only apply to round trip cruises between the State of Alaska and the State of Washington. It would not allow one way cruises from Seattle to Alaska or round trip cruises completely within Alaska.

Princess has cancelled their one-way Alaska cruises from Vancouver, They have not yet cancelled their round-trip Seattle cruises even though they are not currently listed as available.

On 3/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, nini said:

And thank you for doing this.  Agree leave the other discussions to other threads.  

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

To see Alaska interior with glaciers ,Denali Ntl PK . , anchorage ,Fairbanks ,The  Kenai Penn , ie fly in & rent a car .Every thing this  Alaska season is much cheaper   . Can even rent a 4 wheel drive to go off road  to see wild life ,many glaciers ,Prince William sound ,the Fiords  ,fish for barn door halibut & salmon  ie .The very best of all worlds . 

Our favorite place to stay near Denali is the Denali Kale View inn ,a tripple diamonf AAA loding bed ^ breakfast that is a real gem over looking  Lake Otto . 

Don''t forget googling  "Alaska Discount books " to get even better buys 

Why fight the no cruise ,just do the above ,enjoy & save a lot $$$

We have friends doing something like this the end of May.  They are both fully vaccinated.  They are told, as of now, a negative test is required by Alaska.  

On 3/10/2021 at 1:23 PM, voljeep said:

I look for ways to happen - some other look the other way

I look for limited government regulations and let 'the people' be people - like Texas is doing, and Florida has been doing all along

Texas is such a wonderful example of what lack of regulation does. A little cold and the grid goes down and people freeze to death plus buildings get damaged due to frozen pipes bursting. No regulations to require the electrical power generation system, including the supply of gas to the power generators, to be weatherized. No regulation requiring lagging on water pipes to inhibit freezing.

Now imagine no effective regulations for shipping as happens in some parts of the world...major disasters due to overloaded ships capsizing, etc..

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Texas is such a wonderful example of what lack of regulation does. A little cold and the grid goes down and people freeze to death plus buildings get damaged due to frozen pipes bursting. No regulations to require the electrical power generation system, including the supply of gas to the power generators, to be weatherized. No regulation requiring lagging on water pipes to inhibit freezing.

Now imagine no effective regulations for shipping as happens in some parts of the world...major disasters due to overloaded ships capsizing, etc..

San Francisco is a great example of what targeted regulation does.  I used to really enjoy travelling to SFO, but nowadays, I don't want to get stuck by a discarded hypo or be harassed by a person who wants to beg money for the next fix going into the free hypo.  No thanks,  I will take underregulated Texas and Florida before I ever go to California again.  It's really a shame because they used to be such beautiful areas.  The regulations in California seem to only apply to one class of people and the other class don't need to follow any rules at all.

I forgot that California has been a shining example to the rest of us as to how to manage an electric grid...   😂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

San Francisco is a great example of what targeted regulation does.  I used to really enjoy travelling to SFO, but nowadays, I don't want to get stuck by a discarded hypo or be harassed by a person who wants to beg money for the next fix going into the free hypo.  No thanks,  I will take underregulated Texas and Florida before I ever go to California again.  It's really a shame because they used to be such beautiful areas.  The regulations in California seem to only apply to one class of people and the other class don't need to follow any rules at all.

I forgot that California has been a shining example to the rest of us as to how to manage an electric grid...   😂 

I spend a lot of time in San Francisco and never once have I seen a discarded hypo or been bothered by a beggar.

I have not had problems with the electric grid either.

Maybe you just stop watching Faux news and get back to reality.

I am looking forward to the cruise terminal reopening in San Francisco. It is one of the prettiest locations for a cruise terminal.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

Amen...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

San Francisco is a great example of what targeted regulation does.  I used to really enjoy travelling to SFO, but nowadays, I don't want to get stuck by a discarded hypo or be harassed by a person who wants to beg money for the next fix going into the free hypo.  No thanks 

Wow.

Please stay away from my city.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, brisalta said:

I spend a lot of time in San Francisco and never once have I seen a discarded hypo or been bothered by a beggar.

I have not had problems with the electric grid either.

Maybe you just stop watching Faux news and get back to reality.

I am looking forward to the cruise terminal reopening in San Francisco. It is one of the prettiest locations for a cruise terminal.

You must not have been around around the time when Enron collapsed,  and the issues the California power grid went through just before then.

The  current issues with the grid, fires, and shutdowns not exactly a plus.

Used to visit SF fairly frequently. but not these days. Friends I used to visit have moved out saying that they could not take the increasing crime rate anymore. Now when I cruise out of SF. Leave my car near the airport, and take a limo to/from the port. Know too many that have smash and grab breakins in their cars.

I am a CA resident.

Lots of issues in lots of states. Funny to watch the  look at their problems but we don't have any type comments.

Texas should offer a free class to teach people how to turn off their water and drain their pipes when it get that cold and the power fails.

Edited by nocl