How does embarkation work with Holland America?

groundloop

I'm bored and don't have much to do while I wait for cruises to restart so I may as well ask a question that's probably been asked a gazillion times already (although I DID look and couldn't really find great answers).

SO...... I've sailed on Carnival quite a number of times and am fully up on their procedures for choosing a boarding time, dropping off luggage, trudging around the ship with our carry-ons until we're given access to our cabins etc.

We chose to try HAL for our Alaska cruise out of Seattle (which is now HOPEFULLY going to happen in June of 2022) so I'm basically a new cruiser all over again.

Do you pick a boarding time with HAL?  Do they assign one?  Do you have access to your cabin as soon as you board or do you have to wait a while as with Carnival?  

How about disembarking (this will be potentially be important for choosing a flight home)?  Are you assigned a time to disembark?  Do you have the option to "self disembark" early if your wife doesn't over-pack 😃  and you're able to get all your luggage off by yourself?  

Thanks in advance for your insight.

I can start.  Yes, you will be given a boarding time. Historically, not always a constraint but I suspect it will be much more significant in the new world if cruising. The cabins were ready when you boarded. Who knows with extra cleaning if this will soon be possible.

Part way through the cruise you will get a disembarkation questionnaire. Based on this you will get a time and the appropriate coloured luggage tags. Yes, you can self disembark at the head of the queue if you request this option. You have to be able to handle all your luggage.

The new rules may be different from the old rules when we all last cruised.  HAL had two basic embarkation times 11 and 1 depending on where you we embarking.  Everyone was welcome to show up and wait comfortably at 11 am but those in the upper tier suites and 5 star mariner status were first allowed to board.  Then they would assist those with mobility issues though that may not be the standard.   We are not high star mariners nor suite passengers nor have mobility issues and I have always been onboard, at my room by 12:30.  Luggage usually is there but it may be delayed.  If you are upgraded at the checkin your luggage will either be late or you may even have to retrieve it from the front of the cabin you were in.  Your steward will do that but I have done asked them as those folks are so busy.

I have met some great friends while waiting to board.  

Edited by Mary229

On most ships people can board anytime after boarding time opens.  In some ports and on some ships, they assign a boarding time based on your cabin location, etc.

Your stateroom will be ready will be ready when you board, normally so no need to carry your carry on around.

I see you are scheduled to sail in June?  Hate to be the bearer of bad news but HAL just cancelled their June sailings out of Seattle for Alaska.  

420B1C26-2FE6-44AC-A791-BB5A57B7001B.jpeg.0339ccbc6f28b87ac6444ba744452a56.jpeg

The July sailings have not been cancelled yet.

16 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

HAL has not canceled June 2022 Alaska cruises...... yet!

Oops, apologies.  My brain is in covid fog.  I was thinking 2021.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

HAL cancelled 2021.  The Announcement clearly states 2021.   She's hoping her Cruise goes in June,  2022.

Oops, I’m going blind.  Sorry about that.  I read 2021.  Guess my brain has covid fatigue.  😔 apologies.

45 minutes ago, kazu said:

I see you are scheduled to sail in June?  Hate to be the bearer of bad news but HAL just cancelled their June sailings out of Seattle for Alaska.  

We're booked in June of 2022.  Was originally booked in June 2021 but I could see the writing on the wall so changed the booking some time ago.  

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, groundloop said:

I'm bored and don't have much to do while I wait for cruises to restart so I may as well ask a question that's probably been asked a gazillion times already (although I DID look and couldn't really find great answers).

SO...... I've sailed on Carnival quite a number of times and am fully up on their procedures for choosing a boarding time, dropping off luggage, trudging around the ship with our carry-ons until we're given access to our cabins etc.

We chose to try HAL for our Alaska cruise out of Seattle (which is now HOPEFULLY going to happen in June of 2022) so I'm basically a new cruiser all over again.

Do you pick a boarding time with HAL?  Do they assign one?  Do you have access to your cabin as soon as you board or do you have to wait a while as with Carnival?  

How about disembarking (this will be potentially be important for choosing a flight home)?  Are you assigned a time to disembark?  Do you have the option to "self disembark" early if your wife doesn't over-pack 😃  and you're able to get all your luggage off by yourself?  

Thanks in advance for your insight.

HAL is quite a bit different than Carnival with regards to Boarding and Debarking. Things maybe not be the same for awhile because of Covid but this is how they normally did it pre-Covid.

Are you going out of Seattle?  Debark:  If so, they have Luggage Direct which is free and a great Service.  (I haven't gone out of Vancouver in quite a few years so not sure if they have this Service.)   Guest Relations will even check you in for your Flights and deliver your Tags, etc.  to your room.  Once you Debark you will not see your luggage again until you arrive at your Home Port.  They will give you a form usually about 1/2 way through the Cruise to put down your info and pick a time to Debark depending on your Travel Plans.  You receive this on all Cruises.  Unlike Carnival you do not have to leave your Stateroom and wait around in Hallways, Lido, etc.  You will be given a Group # and when called just go down to Exit the Ship when your Group # is called. You can stay in your Stateroom until then.

They do have the Option for Self-Assist and I believe it's called "Expedited".  Haven't done it in quite sometime and usually just pick up our luggage in Terminal.  (I bring a lot of luggage!  😀)

Everyone's Room is ready upon Boarding and you go straight to your Room so no dragging around your Bags until 1:00 or so like you do on Carnival.  Boarding in most Ports starts around 11:30 or Noon.  Then as mentioned they call by Suites, 5 & 4 Star Mariners, etc.   

At the beginning they will have different Protocols for Boarding due to Covid.  From what I read you will be assigned a time and have to be there during that time period, etc. due to being Tested and spacing Passengers out, etc.   I guess when Cruising resumes we will all know what the final Protocols will be! 

You picked a great Cruise Line to do Alaska!   Enjoy and you'll have a lot of time to plan such a wonderful Cruise!

P.S.  Room Service is Free and they have hot Breakfast on the Menu such as Eggs, etc.  Also, please don't put the Trays out in the Hallways (another thing different than Carnival).  HAL wants you to call the number that's on your Tray to call for Tray pick up.  

Edited by idiebabe
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kazu said:

Oops, I’m going blind.  Sorry about that.  I read 2021.  Guess my brain has covid fatigue.  😔 apologies.

One of the alternative to "covid fatigue" is that you could be suffering from CSWS (Cruise Ship Withdrawal Syndrome), Jackie!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, DeeDee Groff said:

One of the alternative to "covid fatigue" is that you could be suffering from CSWS (Cruise Ship Withdrawal Syndrome), Jackie!

I know I am definitely suffering from CSWS!  😂

• Like 2

One year we rented a car and did some sightseeing prior to the cruise. By the time we were done, returned the car and got to the port, the huge rush was over - it must have been 2 or 2:30. Waltzed though security and had no lines for check in.  It was the most relaxed we have been on embarkation day. Doesn't always work to do it that way (if you fly in the day the ship departs) but sure was a nice start to the cruise.

We pack very light and almost always walk off the ship. Gets us out and about faster and away from the lines.

• Like 1

If disembarking in Seattle you might wish to take advantage of the Port of Seattle's free luggage service.

Port Valet is Complimentary, Convenient, and Secure

The Port of Seattle is pleased to offer complimentary luggage transfer from the ship to your airline at the end of your cruise.

Here's why Port Valet makes it easy to be in Seattle:

• Receive your boarding pass before leaving your ship
  • Enjoy streamlined disembarkation
  • Enjoy Seattle luggage free!
  • Skip baggage lines at the airport
  • Track your bags for peace of mind

Port Valet is a complimentary luggage service sponsored by the Port of Seattle and our cruise line and airline partners.

How does the service work?

1. Enroll early!
    Once you're on the ship complete the enrollment form found in your stateroom.  If you have questions about eligibility, check with the guest services team on your ship. It's best to enroll during the first few days of your cruise. You can use Port Valet if you are flying with these participating airlines: Alaska, American, Delta, Horizon, JetBlue, Southwest, United
  2. Drop your luggage
    The night before your cruise ends, you’ll receive your airline boarding passes and special luggage tags from your ship’s crew. Set your bags outside your cabin that evening and the ship's crew will pick them up.
    Your luggage will be securely transferred directly from the cruise ship and checked in with your airline all the way to your destination airport. You don’t have to do a thing.
  3. Enjoy Seattle
    Capitalize on your freedom and spend the day exploring Seattle in its most beautiful season. Visit Seattle can help plan the day.  Check out the two-hour, four-hour and all day self-tours at the Visit Seattle website.  
  4. Skip check-in at the airport
    Upon arrival at SEA Airport, proceed through security and board the plane.  Your luggage is already checked to your final destination!
  5. Track your luggage
    You can track your bags at the Port Valet website
  • Like 1