what does currently not available mean

JandKCruisers

8 hours ago, JandKCruisers said:

Thanks for the reply.  We phoned our Princess TA when Canada said that a few weeks ago and she said at that time Princess was trying to work out something with Canada so they weren't cancelling the cruise.  We had been booked on an August Ruby Princess Alaska Cruise that was cancelled.

Canada will not be working out anything with Princess. Canada has closed its ports until February 2022. This issue has to do with our Maritime laws, none of which Canada can change.

Plus, what Lady Arwen said.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Sorry to say this but our cruise around Australia in March 2022 has been showing this for weeks now. Not sure whether it may be because it is fully booked, Australia’s borders are closed for international travel or something else.

Will get travel agent to look into it when he calls to add on flights, next month.

We are on this cruise in 2023 and I've been following it closely because we have a guarantee.  The status can change daily.  While some days it is unavailable on others limited room categories are available.  The real question in my mind is why, given that there are plenty of cabins available on the two separate legs of the cruise, Princess doesn't release some of them for the entire 28 day cruise.

Edited by capriccio

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

The real question in my mind is why, given that there are plenty of cabins available on the two separate legs of the cruise, Princess doesn't release some of them for the entire 28 day cruise.

That's the way it works when a cruise can be booked several ways. Some cabins are set up to be booked one way and are not available for the other way(s).

An extreme example of this was several years ago when Princess had a ship going from Houston to Southampton.  One way it could be booked was from Houston to Southampton. Another way was from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton. Also could be booked starting from Houston, going to Southampton and staying on for a British Isles cruise. Also starting in Fort Lauderdale and including the BI cruise.

Thus it could be booked four ways and cabins were allocated among the four different ways. (One way it could not be booked is Houston to Fort Lauderdale as that would violate PVSA.)

When the Fort Lauderdale to Southampton allotment of cabins were sold, they would not reallocate any of the cabins starting in Houston to be sold starting in Fort Lauderdale. At least one Florida couple ended up booking to start in Houston and had to fly to Houston from Fort Lauderdale to board the ship.

A good travel agent can sometimes work with Princess to have an available cabin switched from one allotment to another.

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

2 issues: Canada not allowing cruises & banking on Mayor Breed allowing San Francisco cruises.  Although we went to Orange Tier today, Outside Lands moved from August 2021 to October 2021 is off. As is BottleRock 2021. 

Is the SF mayor putting up road blocks to cruises in SF as CA opens up. In SoCal on two recent news outlets it was reported how devastated the tourism industry of SF is secondary to cancelations of conventions related to covid. I know of one group that had a long history of a huge yearly national convention in SF, they moved the venue and it had nothing to do with covid. 

@charlie murphyI'm sure she'd want to open if all of California can get to & stay in the yellow tier. But 2 major music events were moved to October then canceled. Even if SF opens its port / Canada is closed

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

A good travel agent can sometimes work with Princess to have an available cabin switched from one allotment to another.

Our TA has managed to do exactly that on a 20 day Caribbean cruise where we initially only reserved a cabin we didn't want to lose for the first leg. 

She tried immediately on day 1 for this cruise but wasn't able to do so and was told that 1) we had a guarantee, not to worry and 2) they would eventually release cabins.  We are traveling with my 3 siblings and spouses and she managed to get them assigned cabins together more or less together. She processed their requests first even though I'm the coordinator of the trip, use her by far the most often, and have elite status.  Oh well, we've got 2 years to get an assignment!

Edited by capriccio

16 hours ago, Italy52 said:

That is very odd.  I just looked at the Alaska sailings for May , 2022 and didn't see any notations on any of them. 

It's the CruiseTour that's unavailable. Check out the UB1 - Connoisseur that starts on May 25, 2022 with boarding the Diamond Princess on June 4. CruiseTours are booked as a full package, land and sea together and this one's unavailable now. Subsequent CruiseTours, even on the same ship are showing available. Individual sailings on the Diamond Princess all show as available as well. One might speculate the land portion is sold out but, why not just say 'Sold Out' instead of saying unavailable?

1 minute ago, beg3yrs said:

It's the CruiseTour that's unavailable. Check out the UB1 - Connoisseur that starts on May 25, 2022 with boarding the Diamond Princess on June 4. CruiseTours are booked as a full package, land and sea together and this one's unavailable now. Subsequent CruiseTours, even on the same ship are showing available. Individual sailings on the Diamond Princess all show as available as well. One might speculate the land portion is sold out but, why not just say 'Sold Out' instead of saying unavailable?

Frustrating, I hear you.  Though not land tours, we have had 3 cruises say "not available" that we had/have booked.  If something is not going to happen I just wish they would say so and we can all put things to rest. 

• Like 1