British Isles cruises from UK - ports of call issue, visit ashore are restricted.

WeeCountyMan

Nobody is forcing anyone to book these cruises. Its going to be bad enough in Southampton with thousands turning up from all over the UK , to meet in one place (i think you may find they will also be much stricter with arrival/boarding times, so you do not have hundreds in the terminal at one time), Equally at any of the port stops , would I want a ship arriving with over a 1000 people on it descending in one go, probably not, so they are trying to mimimize that. I noted one of the princess ones you went to an art gallery before its open to the general public. Yes on one of the italian cruises a family left the excursion. when they returned to the ship, they were denied boarding. 

if you want to visit these places and wander around free, you could go to them on your own, not on a ship. 

Cruising will not be back to normal for quite a while yet.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 11:18 PM, memoak said:

If I can fly into Hawaii or New York and go to a restaurant why can’t I cruise into those places and go to eat where I want ?

if we are talking about the UK cruises..which is what the poster stated..because we are a very small crowded island,  all of the governments are taking this virus very seriously, I know the US is not, from some of my discussions with Americans. The reason this is a GLOBAL pandemic is from the off, people were flying everywhere, taking the virus with them.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 3:23 PM, kevinyork said:

If we are free to travel within the U.K. but the cruise line retain it must be on of their excursions only it’ll be seen for the money grabbing idea that it is. 

If you go somewhere on your own , you will be one person, and probably staying somewhere on your own. The cruise ship will have 1000 of you . One of the conditions of them sailing was probably that they did not just let people off the ship to wander. We don't know yet the effect of having over 1000 in confined spaces will be. You do not have to book the cruises, you do not have to get off the ship in a port, if you have. All the lines doing these summer cruises will have to abide by them. Cruising itself will not be back to normal for a while.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the english lady said:

If you go somewhere on your own , you will be one person, and probably staying somewhere on your own. The cruise ship will have 1000 of you . One of the conditions of them sailing was probably that they did not just let people off the ship to wander. We don't know yet the effect of having over 1000 in confined spaces will be. You do not have to book the cruises, you do not have to get off the ship in a port, if you have. All the lines doing these summer cruises will have to abide by them. Cruising itself will not be back to normal for a while.

But it will have 1000 vaccinated and tested people. In a busy city full of visitors, how many of those will have subjected themselves to both.  Plus the destinations will still have Covid safe practices in all museums, transport, shops, pubs and cafes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

But it will have 1000 vaccinated and tested people. In a busy city full of visitors, how many of those will have subjected themselves to both.  Plus the destinations will still have Covid safe practices in all museums, transport, shops, pubs and cafes.

But if they are taking the cautious approach, (gov. and cruise lines) there is not a lot people can do. You accept the T and C and sail, or you don't.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dwhe said:

I don't think it does caribill, no mention at all in the gumph.

Also there is other Titanic stuff in the area like its dry dock that you don't get to see, it's a 4 hour excursion, 1 hour driving around half an hour getting there and back (according to them) and 2 and a half hours in the exhibition, all for $99.95.

If anything they should make the excursions cheaper to compensate us having to take theirs, not exploiting us.

I agree. Given we have no other option to take their excursions, prices should be better. Surely with more passengers taking them, they’ll make just as much money as before even at lower prices.

I’m sure MSC included excursions in the price of the cruise (if what I saw online last year is to be believed).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, the english lady said:

But if they are taking the cautious approach, (gov. and cruise lines) there is not a lot people can do. You accept the T and C and sail, or you don't.

But still no one has given us an insight into how they are going to stop interaction between excursioners and locals and indeed excursioners from other ships now the other lines are jumping on the round Britain bandwagon.

I truly accept peoples concern about the crew but cannot accept they will be able to keep us cocooned whilst on shore.

If I choose to go on an excursion with them I will accept the T&C's but I have every right to complain about their prices and the ludicrousness of demanding we can only go ashore with them.

I have only seen UK Government guidance referring to "tour providers of excursions" so why can we not use other companies that are proven to take the required precautions?

I quote "One of the conditions of them sailing was probably that they did not just let people off the ship to wander." I cannot find any such direction from the UK Government, If anyone can post a link I would be grateful. I prefer fact and not opinion on such matters.

Sorry for the long post.

Edited by dwhe

9 hours ago, the english lady said:

Nobody is forcing anyone to book these cruises. Its going to be bad enough in Southampton with thousands turning up from all over the UK , to meet in one place

I think you are loosing sight of the fact that ALL social distancing is on track to be removed mid June 21 in the UK not 22. I have underlying health conditions but we have to get back to normal soon.

• Like 1

Sorry to harp on but I just found this:

https://cruising.org/-/media/Files/Executive-Summary-Cruise-Framework-COVID-19

From the shore excursions section "For all guests and seafarers, both independently ashore and on excursions upon disembarking and re-embarking the ship, alcohol-based hand sanitiser should be made available at gangway exits, and all persons should be asked to use them."

This was issued by The UK Chamber of Shipping if you want to look them up.

40 minutes ago, dwhe said:

I think you are loosing sight of the fact that ALL social distancing is on track to be removed mid June 21 in the UK not 22. I have underlying health conditions but we have to get back to normal soon.

And how many times have restrictions started to be lifted only to be put pack into place.    You are hoping they will be removed by June.  No government  can be certain what is going to happen in June.    I don't think cruise lines want to take any chances.  

28 minutes ago, waltd said:

...  You are hoping they will be removed by June.  No government  can be certain what is going to happen in June...

Wrong, my Government are telling me we are on track to have all restrictions removed in the UK by mid June 21  not me.

Next October I will be travelling to Southampton. The night before I cruise I will be meeting friends and going out for a spot of lunch, then probably do a mini pub crawl before retiring. The next day I will be cruising.

From the NHS website "Evidence suggests that testing tends to be less accurate within three days of exposure, and the best time to get tested is five to seven days after you were exposed." That's even if it is found that vaccinated people can pass it on which is not clear yet.

So there may be 1000's of people infected but undetectable getting on the ship. Where do we draw the line, no cruising till next June or no cruising till June 2025 or beyond?

On 3/29/2021 at 5:03 PM, dwhe said:

They have said about lifting restrictions, but I thnk that will be more along the lines of going on holiday, meeting up. I think we may find the mask thing will be around for a while. Last cruise we had ,we both caught the worst cold/virus we have ever had..when we boarded you could hear people coughing/sneezing etc all around. I think it will be fairy steps for this year, especially on cruises.

On 3/29/2021 at 5:32 PM, dwhe said:

Sorry to harp on but I just found this:

https://cruising.org/-/media/Files/Executive-Summary-Cruise-Framework-COVID-19

From the shore excursions section "For all guests and seafarers, both independently ashore and on excursions upon disembarking and re-embarking the ship, alcohol-based hand sanitiser should be made available at gangway exits, and all persons should be asked to use them."

This was issued by The UK Chamber of Shipping if you want to look them up.

Are there any guidelines for seeing the sights ashore?
For the time being, you will only be able to go ashore on shore excursions that are researched and organized by Princess Cruises. Port transfer and shore experience operators will be subject to new policies and procedures to reflect the latest approved guidance in line with our on-board protocols, and will comply with all local guidance relating to social distancing and face masks. 

his is from the princess staycation cruises.

For the time being, you will only be able to go ashore through our new range of organised and vetted shore experiences. Port transfer and shore experience operators will be subject to new policies and procedures to reflect the latest approved guidance in line with our on-board protocols. 

This is from the pando website. Cunards (that go on sale today) will be the same as pando.  the others are not on sale yet, but certainly for these summer cruises you will not be allowed to roam free. As the world opens up, winter comes on, cases will rise again, so you may find it will not be until 2022 that you can wander ashore on your own.

4 hours ago, the english lady said:

They have said about lifting restrictions, but I thnk that will be more along the lines of going on holiday, meeting up. I think we may find the mask thing will be around for a while. Last cruise we had ,we both caught the worst cold/virus we have ever had..when we boarded you could hear people coughing/sneezing etc all around. I think it will be fairy steps for this year, especially on cruises.

Your opinion, lets hope it's not right🤞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the english lady said:

Are there any guidelines for seeing the sights ashore?
For the time being, you will only be able to go ashore on shore excursions that are researched and organized by Princess Cruises. Port transfer and shore experience operators will be subject to new policies and procedures to reflect the latest approved guidance in line with our on-board protocols, and will comply with all local guidance relating to social distancing and face masks. 

his is from the princess staycation cruises.

For the time being, you will only be able to go ashore through our new range of organised and vetted shore experiences. Port transfer and shore experience operators will be subject to new policies and procedures to reflect the latest approved guidance in line with our on-board protocols. 

This is from the pando website. Cunards (that go on sale today) will be the same as pando.  the others are not on sale yet, but certainly for these summer cruises you will not be allowed to roam free. As the world opens up, winter comes on, cases will rise again, so you may find it will not be until 2022 that you can wander ashore on your own.

Thanks, you are pointing out a cruise line policy we have been debating for a few pages.

I linked a document provided as guidance to the cruse industry by The UK Chamber of Shipping, which is the trade organisation for UK shipping of which Carnival UK is a member, which gives no such direction and indeed states the opposite "For all guests and seafarers, both independently ashore and on excursions upon disembarking and re-embarking the ship"

I know if I want to go ashore I will have to take a ships excursion, I have just been pointing out that it is not a legal requirement and in my opinion a money grab.

8 hours ago, dwhe said:

Thanks, you are pointing out a cruise line policy we have been debating for a few pages.

I linked a document provided as guidance to the cruse industry by The UK Chamber of Shipping, which is the trade organisation for UK shipping of which Carnival UK is a member, which gives no such direction and indeed states the opposite "For all guests and seafarers, both independently ashore and on excursions upon disembarking and re-embarking the ship"

I know if I want to go ashore I will have to take a ships excursion, I have just been pointing out that it is not a legal requirement and in my opinion a money grab.

Your opinion  lets hope you are not right.   And you should have a backup plan. 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Well haven't heard anything yet about being able to wander ashore on our own, Saw something posted yesterday elsewhere, I will see if i can find and put here.  As the ones (except for one line)all require you to have had 2 jabs, I think we will be a safer bet. Royal Caribbean is advertising all of its crew have had jabs, does anyone know if this is correct, and if so, how have they managed it.

cases onboard.PNG

On 3/27/2021 at 1:18 PM, memoak said:

If I can fly into Hawaii or New York and go to a restaurant why can’t I cruise into those places and go to eat where I want ?

At this time, you can not cruise to Hawaii under state current restrictions.  Which means that you are unable to get off the ship and wander around at your leisure.  

At the same time (April 7, 2021):

Hawaii Restaurants & Dining:  All Hawaii restaurants are allowed to open for takeout, pick-up, and delivery service. Hawaii restaurants are also allowed to open for indoor dining at 50% capacity (100% on Oahu), with tables positioned 5-feet apart. Reservations are required for indoor dining and limited to parties of no more than five (5)people (10 people permitted on Oahu & Big Island) per table. Masks must be worn at all times when dining indoors at restaurants, except when you are actively eating and/or drinking. On the Big Island, members of a single residential or family unit who share the same address are not restricted by the 10 person limit.

On 3/27/2021 at 4:18 PM, memoak said:

Because you do not get back on a cruise ship where data shows spread is much higher than in most other places.

Oh, I forgot to mention to fly in to Hawaii restrictions:  Must have a negative Covid 19 Pre-test 72 hours before final Departure and fill in a Safe Travels app.  Currently vaccination cards are invalid.  No Covid Test = 10 days quarantine IN hotel room with delivered (at your expense) food only.  Not so easy to vacation in Hawaii just yet.  Rules are rules.