RCCL Refunds are they running out of money?

What you are experiencing is not normal.  Call and explain the situation.  They just need to do a workflow to push your refund out.       Remember they are dealing with outdated technology on both the reservations and accounting sides.  Is there any chance the refund did come back right away, but you missed it?  Remember if you put down one $500 deposit, the refund usually won’t come back as a single $500 credit.  Double check your statements and then call the cruise line.  

Edited by JsMom2

18 hours ago, Suncoastsailors said:

If they are so rich with cash then why wait 45-60 days for refunds? Why sell cruises they know will be cancelled? Why delay official cancellation for cruises they know are cancelled? Why do they often delay cancellation until after final payment? Borrowed money in your bank account does not make you wealthy. They are using future cruise deposits to pay refunds on cancelled cruises. While they hold onto refund money as long as customers will tolerate. 

THAT is why they are flush with cash. They are now holding over 2 billion in future cruise deposits.  

6 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

What you are experiencing is not normal.  Call and explain the situation.  They just need to do a workflow to push your refund out.       Remember they are dealing with outdated technology on both the reservations and accounting sides.  Is there any chance the refund did come back right away, but you missed it?  Remember if you put down one $500 deposit, the refund usually won’t come back as a single $500 credit.  Double check your statements and then call the cruise line.  

They made some kind of error and my refund was not sent. Now they say it will take two weeks. The cruise I booked by mistake and cancelled March 30, 2022 Quantum of Seas is now off the board. Perhaps this had something to do with the mix-up. Believe me I have called and talked to a supervisor, still two weeks. This is what made me question the financial viability of RCCL. Thanks for your concern.

21 hours ago, dswallow said:

If you canceled so quickly after booking, you're well within the time to just call your credit card company and explain what happened and dispute the original charge.

No need to dispute at this point. Pretty sure I will get my money. RCCL just handled the situation poorly. 

Suncoastsailors;   I feel your pain.  No one likes to have money hanging out there for too long.  I guess when people say patience is a good virtue;  they mean it.  Still doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy; and hope this incident does not sway you from cruising in the future.  Cheers

On 3/30/2021 at 7:54 PM, Suncoastsailors said:

I booked and paid deposit. Yes booked wrong cruise. Refundable within 24 hours. Called for refund immediately. No need to dispute charges unless refund does not come within the next two weeks. Just very upset that RCCL knowing the made a mistake with my refund would make me wait another 14 days. 

Did you ask if you could simply transfer your deposit money to the cruise you wanted to book?  They would have been the easier path.

15 hours ago, Suncoastsailors said:

They made some kind of error and my refund was not sent. Now they say it will take two weeks. The cruise I booked by mistake and cancelled March 30, 2022 Quantum of Seas is now off the board. Perhaps this had something to do with the mix-up. Believe me I have called and talked to a supervisor, still two weeks. This is what made me question the financial viability of RCCL. Thanks for your concern.

2 weeks is the standard amount of time they will tell you.  But it should go faster at this point, as they are caught up on refunds.  If you don’t see it in 2 weeks, definitely call back!  

2 minutes ago, JsMom2 said:

2 weeks is the standard amount of time they will tell you.  But it should go faster at this point, as they are caught up on refunds.  If you don’t see it in 2 weeks, definitely call back!  

Perhaps you did not read my original post. I waited 45 days for a refund and called on day 45. Now they say it will be another 2 weeks on top of the 45 days. There was some kind of error. 

1 minute ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Perhaps you did not read my original post. I waited 45 days for a refund and called on day 45. Now they say it will be another 2 weeks on top of the 45 days. There was some kind of error. 

Yes I understand, there was DEFINITELY an error.  For that type of refund they need to put in a workflow.  It’s not automatic.  However, if you’ve spoken to a supervisor, and they put in the workflow, then it will usually process quickly.  Refunds are disbursed on Sundays.  But then it takes a few days for your bank to process.  If you don’t get a refund within 2 weeks of the workflow, then there has been a system error somewhere.  Sometimes the refunds post, but don’t disburse.  In that case they need to reject the refund and start over.  They are definitely trying to process the refunds as quickly as possible.  

16 hours ago, Suncoastsailors said:

No need to dispute at this point. Pretty sure I will get my money. RCCL just handled the situation poorly. 

In one post you question their "future financial viability", in the next you say they just handled it poorly.....   Big difference.