Celebrity Reflection Off St. Vincent

LJJQ

Just watching World News Tonight with David Muir! They talked about Volcanoe erupting on island of St Vincent and Grenadines! Seems Celebrity Reflection and three other cruise ships are there to evacuate approximately 18,000 to nearby islands! Seems only those vaccinated will be allowed to board according to report!  

2 minutes ago, LJJQ said:

Just watching World News Tonight with David Muir! They talked about Volcanoe erupting on island of St Vincent and Grenadines! Seems Celebrity Reflection and three other cruise ships are there to evacuate approximately 18,000 to nearby islands! Seems only those vaccinated will be allowed to board according to report!  

I am seeing conflicting reports on the vaccination requirement.  But it's not Celebrity's decision but the decision of the islands that accept the refugees.  

• Like 1

It seems as if it were yesterday when Antigua accepted so many from devastated Barbuda. They are such welcoming people and we always look forward to returning to one of our favorite islands. 

We hope the volcano is short lived and the residents can return to northern St. Vincent in safety.

Now if they can just keep Mt. Pele on Martinique from erupting life after Covid can return to normal and we can all be graciously welcomed asap.

11 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I am seeing conflicting reports on the vaccination requirement.  But it's not Celebrity's decision but the decision of the islands that accept the refugees.  

Prime Minister is quoted  in Accuweather  linked article as saying vaccination required: 

"Gonsalves said in his press conference that people have to be vaccinated before boarding a cruise ship or to go to another island. The minister also highly recommended those taking shelter in Saint Vincent be vaccinated."

23 minutes ago, hcat said:

Prime Minister is quoted  in Accuweather  linked article as saying vaccination required: 

"Gonsalves said in his press conference that people have to be vaccinated before boarding a cruise ship or to go to another island. The minister also highly recommended those taking shelter in Saint Vincent be vaccinated."

Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, they got their first shipment of vaccine 3 days ago.  The target was to vaccinate a little more than 2 percent of the population with the first shipmemnt with a goal of 20% by the end of the year.

https://www.paho.org/en/news/7-4-2021-st-vincent-and-grenadines-receives-first-covid-19-vaccines-through-covax-facility

On 4/9/2021 at 7:05 PM, LJJQ said:

I hope you have seen that the vaccination requirement is not true.  All you need is a positive Covid test to board the ships for evacuation. 

22 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I hope you have seen that the vaccination requirement is not true.  All you need is a positive Covid test to board the ships for evacuation. 

All you need is a positive test? This reminds me of the joke about a guy arriving in Australia and being asked by the immigration official if he had a criminal record. He replied that he didn't know you still needed one 😀

Edited by barbette165

32 minutes ago, barbette165 said:

All you need is a positive test? This reminds me of the joke about a guy arriving in Australia and being asked by the immigration official if he had a criminal record. He replied that he didn't know you still needed one 😀

Ok, you found my typo or Freudian slip.   This is one of those cases where a negative test is a positive.  It does seem sad that the sick people will be left behind to deal with the volcano.   Hopefully there will be a better answer.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by ipeeinthepool

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Ok, you found my typo or Freudian slip.   This is one of those cases where a negative test is a positive.  It does seem sad that the sick people will be left behind to deal with the volcano.   Hopefully there will be a better answer.  🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m guessing many elected to stay, took no test, and are just fine.

Now for the height of stupidity in my opinion. The CDC has said to the people of St Vincent, do not get on a cruise ship. This in a natural disaster, where there is ash all over the island. Better jst eep your mouth shut.

22 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I’m guessing no one on the island is just fine 

Correct

As per my  accu weather app, they have a problem with gettiing fresh water not contaminated with ash  &  they need masks beyond covid ones  because ash is all over and in the air.  People are crammed together in homes or shelters in the area where they were evac to...  i will try to post a link