Booked.....NCL Joy-Haven Suite-August 28, 2021 out of Jamaica

graphicguy

11 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

@coastcat Here's what Jamaica site has;

https://www.visitjamaica.com/travelauthorization/

I know with the covid-19 that much of the information is very fluid/changeable however, this seems to be the most updated. 

Thanks.  Tried to fill out the travel authorization form, but I guess it’s way too early as the WEB site will only let you fill it out if you’re traveling to Jamaica in the month of April.

As an aside, my TA said that NCL will take care of providing COVID tests at no charge.  She’s checking to see if that’s upon both embarkation or debarkation or both.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

No....then again, this cruise will be totally paid for with FCCs and NCL discounts.  So, not using a charge card.

I'm juggling my FCCs so that I have to use a charge card. Chase Sapphire means automatic travel insurance coverage as long as you use the card for some part of the trip. I'm probably already covered since I paid for the pre-cruise hotel with the Sapphire card but just in case... 

How is your flight schedule? Trying to find a routing from Seattle that doesn't require a 9+ hour overnight layover and/or 2 stops is challenging. I might cash in my Delta miles and just snooze at an airport hotel during the layover. It would be lovely to arrive in Montego Bay all rested and ready to go explore.

I tried a search from the airport which is actually closest to where I live (Everett, PAE). Google Flights presented the cheap option as a 23 1/2 hour itinerary. The quickest was a mere 13 hours but cost $3,400 for economy. Perhaps I'll make the hour-long drive to SEA after all.

• Like 2

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Flights aren’t bad....nothing overly onerous......not direct, though.  Have to go through an ATL layover.

FLIGHT VIEW FLIGHT OPERATION DETAILS FOR DL 2736

FRI, 27 AUG 2021
137 DAYS FROM DEPARTURE
CVG
to
ATL
ON TIME 
DEPART: 
9:00 AM
ARRIVE: 
10:35 AM

VIEW ONBOARD EXPERIENCE DETAILS FOR DELTA COMFORT+® (S)

LAYOVER IN ATLANTA, GA 50M 

FLIGHT VIEW FLIGHT OPERATION DETAILS FOR DL 1801

FRI, 27 AUG 2021
137 DAYS FROM DEPARTURE
ATL
to
MBJ
ON TIME 
DEPART: 
11:25 AM
ARRIVE: 
1:16 PM

VIEW ONBOARD EXPERIENCE DETAILS FOR DELTA COMFORT+® (S)
Airport Map: ATL , Opens in new window | MBJ 
Aircraft: Airbus A321 
Flight Time: 2HR 51M
On Time % : N/A
Miles Flown: 1,120

FLIGHT VIEW FLIGHT OPERATION DETAILS FOR DL 1928

SAT, 04 SEP 2021
145 DAYS FROM DEPARTURE
MBJ
to
ATL
ON TIME 
DEPART: 
12:10 PM
ARRIVE: 
4:08 PM

VIEW ONBOARD EXPERIENCE DETAILS FOR DELTA COMFORT+® (W)
Airport Map: MBJ | ATL, Opens in new window 
Aircraft: Boeing 737-900ER 
Flight Time: 2HR 58M
Miles Flown: 1,117

LAYOVER IN ATLANTA, GA 1HR 37M 

FLIGHT VIEW FLIGHT OPERATION DETAILS FOR DL 2579

SAT, 04 SEP 2021
145 DAYS FROM DEPARTURE
ATL
to
CVG
ON TIME 
DEPART: 
5:45 PM
ARRIVE: 
7:12 PM

VIEW ONBOARD EXPERIENCE DETAILS FOR DELTA COMFORT+® (W)
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800 
Flight Time: 1HR 27M
Miles Flown: 374
  • Like 2

@coastcat I know this will seem a bit out of range but... just wondering.

In 2019, I had booked a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii to Papeete to ...  well, you get the picture, so what I did was book and pay for my flight from TO (YYZ) to Vancouver, book a stay over night in Vancouver, then I booked the next leg using the NCL free or reduced airfare from Vancouver to Hawaii which turned out to be $0.  

Would you be able to use your airline points or pay for the flight yourself, to fly from Seattle to someplace like Altanta and book the flight with NCL from Atlanta to Jamaica?  

I know it sounds crazy and lots more work but, just wondering if that would work for you.

I know for me, if it had gone as planned, it would have saved about $300 which may not seem like a lot but it was really the timing that would have made the difference. 

Cheers

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

@coastcat I know this will seem a bit out of range but... just wondering.

In 2019, I had booked a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii to Papeete to ...  well, you get the picture, so what I did was book and pay for my flight from TO (YYZ) to Vancouver, book a stay over night in Vancouver, then I booked the next leg using the NCL free or reduced airfare from Vancouver to Hawaii which turned out to be $0.  

Would you be able to use your airline points or pay for the flight yourself, to fly from Seattle to someplace like Altanta and book the flight with NCL from Atlanta to Jamaica?  

I know it sounds crazy and lots more work but, just wondering if that would work for you.

I know for me, if it had gone as planned, it would have saved about $300 which may not seem like a lot but it was really the timing that would have made the difference. 

Cheers

I was playing with some options this afternoon. It's feasible to book roundtrips from SEA to a gateway city and then another roundtrip from that city to MBJ. I hadn't thought about using NCL for the second flight. Hmm. Thanks for the idea!

Oddly enough, Google Flights gave me a couple options routing me from Seattle to Jamaica via Canadian cities. Yeah, that ain't happening yet.

• Like 2

One downside to booking one of the first cruises NCL offers in the Caribbean, insure my trip has been very unresponsive to moving my insurance from a canceled cruise to the one I just booked.  Does anyone know if insuremytrip.com is still in business?

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

One downside to booking one of the first cruises NCL offers in the Caribbean, insure my trip has been very unresponsive to moving my insurance from a canceled cruise to the one I just booked.  Does anyone know if insuremytrip.com is still in business?

Is it possible that it's the actual company which had taken your Insurance contract?  I know when I looked at the quotes I got there were various companies with various options. Is it possible you need to contact them rather than Insure my trip? 

Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Is it possible that it's the actual company which had taken your Insurance contract?  I know when I looked at the quotes I got there were various companies with various options. Is it possible you need to contact them rather than Insure my trip? 

Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions. 

Maybe.....that’s my next move.  But, InsureMyTrip always responded to me, regardless of insurance carrier, in the past!

• Like 1

Woo hoo, all booked now! I had enough Delta points to get me to MBJ via Atlanta with a 11-hour overnight layover, and used some Chase points to book an airport hotel to sleep away that layover. Now we just need some excursions.

NCL's airfare is NOT solo-friendly with the current promo. When I priced it out as a solo and then as a couple, the solo price was twice the per-person price for two people, and the current promo doesn't charge for that second person. So it would cost twice as much for me to fly alone as it would for me to fly with a companion. That's ridiculous! I remember running into this before when I was sailing out of LA when NCL was running a similar airfare promo. They offered me the SEA-LAX roundtrip for $499. I can do that on my own for less than half the price. 

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2021 at 3:51 PM, graphicguy said:

Not wanting to steal any of @sid_9169 thunder, as he’s sailing a couple of weeks before me.  But, I’m vaccinated (Pfizer x2) and booked.

Reservation At-a-Glance

• Reservation #:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Embarkation:

Aug 28, 2021
    Montego Bay, Jamaica
    Disembarkation:

Sep 04, 2021
    Montego Bay, Jamaica
  •  
    Norwegian Joy

The Haven Stateroom 
    15XXX, Category: OX

Trip Milestones:

• Check-In

Complete your online check-in by August 27, 2021.
    Check-in Online
Check-in Progress:
40% Complete
 Download eDocs
 EDIT CHECK IN

Itinerary, Onboard Packages, Gifts & More Items

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Day Land Tours And Cruise Ports Arrive Depart Booked
Sat Montego Bay, Jamaica --- 8:00 PM 0
Sun At Sea  --- --- 0
Mon Harvest Caye, Belize 7:00 AM --- 0
Tue Roatán, Bay Islands, Honduras 7:00 AM --- 0
Wed Cozumel, Mexico 10:00 AM --- 0
Thu At Sea  --- --- 0
Fri Ocho Rios, Jamaica 7:00 AM --- 0
Sat Montego Bay, Jamaica (Flight Departure) 6:00 AM --- 0
7-Day Caribbean Round-trip Jamaica: Harvest Caye Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing. Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking. Itineraries 

FYI...I read somewhere in this Board that the Haven rooms on Deck 15 are right under the pool deck and the outdoor buffet seating area.  Deck chairs being dragged around.  Not sure if that's a concern for you.  

52 minutes ago, mjh2w1 said:

FYI...I read somewhere in this Board that the Haven rooms on Deck 15 are right under the pool deck and the outdoor buffet seating area.  Deck chairs being dragged around.  Not sure if that's a concern for you.  

There are bigger issues than chair dragging on the cruise. 

Umm, didn't NCL cancel their sailings now out of Jamica?  They took the Joy crew and moved them to the Bliss for Alaska.  They are not sailing out of Jamica anymore this year with the potential start of US cruising.  Look at their website and announcements.

3 hours ago, detwings said:

Umm, didn't NCL cancel their sailings now out of Jamica?  They took the Joy crew and moved them to the Bliss for Alaska.  They are not sailing out of Jamica anymore this year with the potential start of US cruising.  Look at their website and announcements.

They did indeed.  I am finished with NCL after all the ballyhoo about “we’re back cruising again…come sail with us out of Jamaica”.  And, with no shame whatsoever, drag the Joy’s crew to Seattle for the Bliss sailing to Alaska and cancelling the Jamaica cruise.  And why?  Because they can charge higher fares on the Alaska cruise.

I’m trying to get a refund on my flights, or at least get by with just a change fee.  I was lucky that my hotel arrangements were refundable.  Still haven’t heard about a refund on the transport I arranged from the airport, to the hotel, to the cruise terminal and back to the hotel.  I have a feeling that money is gone.

Filled out the paperwork for my cruise refund.  They say it could take a month.  All considered, I have given NCL a $5,000 interest free loan for over a year because they wouldn’t originally let me get a refund on the other 2 cruises that were cancelled.

I’m Platinum Latitudes.  Not that it matters, but clearly I was a loyal NCL cruiser. After their dishonesty, I will never give NCL another nickel, or set foot on any of their ships, again.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I’m Platinum Latitudes.  Not that it matters, but clearly I was a loyal NCL cruiser. After their dishonesty, I will never give NCL another nickel, or set foot on any of their ships, again.

Sorry this happened to you and I totally understand your frustration and anger; I'd feel the same I'm sure.  I don't know what NCL execs were thinking, making this choice, although, I agree it's likely the money. 

Good luck in your future cruises and hopefully you'll be able to get airfare back. 

Take care. 

35 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

They did indeed.  I am finished with NCL after all the ballyhoo about “we’re back cruising again…come sail with us out of Jamaica”.  And, with no shame whatsoever, drag the Joy’s crew to Seattle for the Bliss sailing to Alaska and cancelling the Jamaica cruise.  And why?  Because they can charge higher fares on the Alaska cruise.

Unlike you I have no history with NCL at all, and have only ever been on a cruise once 13 years ago! We saw this as an opportunity to get back out into the world and help to jump-start the service industry.

We see the cancellation as an opportunity to do so, only even better - we're now booked on Viking Orion to leisurely cruise around Bermuda. I think it's going to be a much better fit for us, and we won't feel like we're rewarding someone who doubled their salary while laying off crew, and then screwed customers who tried to support getting people back to work.

21 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Sorry this happened to you and I totally understand your frustration and anger; I'd feel the same I'm sure.  I don't know what NCL execs were thinking, making this choice, although, I agree it's likely the money. 

Good luck in your future cruises and hopefully you'll be able to get airfare back. 

Take care. 

Thanks!  It doesn't happen often, but when I get screwed over time and again by ANY company, I take the hint.  It's particularly frustrating when being lied to and by a company who practically begged us to book with them as they are finally sailing post COVID.  I'm not alone.  I've read where they've done the same thing to the GEM passengers and for trans-Atlantic cruises, too.

I feel like I'm just lighting $100 bills on fire with NCL.

I don't reward bad behavior....ever!

Appreciate the sentiments, though.  May be booking a Celebrity cruise today, instead.

Best of luck to you, too.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

@graphicguy have you considered  MSC Yacht Club?  I've only done 1 cruise with that line but it might be good as a comparison to Celeb.  

cheers

I have sailed on MSC 2X, both in the Yacht Club.  One was out of FL a few years ago (Divina).  The other was in the Mediterranean a couple of years ago on the Meriviglia.  Both were wonderful.  At the time, MSC was just getting a foothold in the North American Market, so The Yacht Club was quite a bargain.  It's been awhile, but the last I looked, prices had risen dramatically.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm perusing other cruises on different cruise lines today.  I'll give them another look.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

So, just booked the Celebrity Edge in the Retreat for July 31.  Hopefully, the whole Desantis fiasco is figured out by then.  And, haven’t heard anything egregious about Celebrity.  Fingers crossed.

Best of luck to all those who are still dealing with NCL because you can’t get a refund.

Waiting on mine.  But, still out airfare change fees. 

• Like 2