Looking for advice from Past Koningsdam cruisers please!

shiner6

18 minutes ago, jeda4137 said:

Missed a proper promenade with seating too much to sail K  again. 

We usually love the promenade but as we knew this to be the case we booked an extra large balcony and never missed the promenade.  It still is walkable unlike theRoyal class Princess ships.  

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 11:13 PM, vino100 said:

In the ps can you have others over for dinner? I noticed a dining room table , do you know for how many ? 

Dining with others in your suite might be impacted by Covid protocol.

On 4/19/2021 at 3:05 PM, shiner6 said:

This question is for those of you have sailed Alaska on the Koningsdam.   

What is your opinion about public places on board in which to relax and take in the view as well as take some great photos?

We have sailed this itinerary before on Princess and Disney, and had no problems.  (We had a balcony which we hardly used so next time we had an inside room which suited me fine because I am prone to seasickness and I like the dark sleeping area low and midship.) 

Now, my better half has expressed a desire to have a balcony again for picture taking. There are very few balcony cabins left for our cruise next July, and I am torn between the extra $2500 fee for a mediocre  forward balcony spot vs our large category I inside cabin midship).   There will be a teen grandaughter in our cabin.

We are traveling with two other families who have balconies and suites.

I have read all of the posts and have gleaned some useful information, however, I am open to any of your recommendations based on experience.  Any tips are welcome!😃

We were on the Koningsdam for 21days in 2018 and I made a couple of youtube videos  which might be of help to you. I am a professional photographer. The videos are long and pretty much cover the whole ship and our ports. We had an oceanview cabin. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bennybear said:

We usually love the promenade but as we knew this to be the case we booked an extra large balcony and never missed the promenade.  It still is walkable unlike theRoyal class Princess ships.  

We did have a large balcony - however still missed that promenade - especially on sea days  and the old fashioned deck chairs.  Just a different atmosphere  sitting out there versus balcony.  Always made sure to walk at least 6 times  ( 2 Miles) around on sea days.  Too closed in!  Just not the same!!

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 3:54 PM, drowelf said:

Why is there a giant green bunny hopping around on the deck? 

lol...I was on a Caribbean cruise with DH, brother, SIL and dad. The first night on board, we were strolling around and made our way up to the Retreat. No one was there, so we "borrowed" someone's cabana for some pics on the loungers, and there's this green bunny on that level.  Another photo with my SIL.

L.

15.jpg

16.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shiner6 said:

Why a giant Green Bunny? Is there a story behind it? 

I wish I knew!  Not been on it's sister Nieuw Statendam, so no idea if there's anything on the Retreat level on board. But, We'll be on the Rotterdam for Southern Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale, so you can be sure I'll be keeping an eye out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shiner6 said:

Why a giant Green Bunny? Is there a story behind it? 

@leerathje I am impressed with much of the art in the Holland America Lines collection, but some of it seems random and just whimsical. I am still trying to figure out the yellow lips on the Zaandam.

818204316_yellowlips(2).jpg.274d746f9a1f716e15e8a1feac534379.jpg

Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 2

Ok, so in order to sign up for the "tastings", I need to go to the front desk as soon as I board? Is this correct? Do I have time to go to my cabin first?   What other activities do I need to sign up for on the first day? How do I find out about offerings?  Do they offer Test Kitchen seminars? 

I know that I have lots of questions. Thanks in advance for all of your help and being so patient with me. 

4 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

Ok, so in order to sign up for the "tastings", I need to go to the front desk as soon as I board? Is this correct? Do I have time to go to my cabin first?   What other activities do I need to sign up for on the first day? How do I find out about offerings?  Do they offer Test Kitchen seminars? 

I know that I have lots of questions. Thanks in advance for all of your help and being so patient with me. 

While you are waiting in the terminal. you will receive the current-day Where & When.

With very limited seating, for Notes stopping at the Front Desk ASAP is highly recommended before the line disgruntled passengers begins to form.  While there, sign up for the Behind the Scenes tour ($99) if interested (could be on a port day).  Drop off luggage in your stateroom. 

Next priority stop is at the Specialty Dining booth across from the Pinnacle Grill on Deck 2 to make reservations for your free dinners if applicable.  Next priority stop is at the Deck 9 spa if you want to make reservations that go quickly for sea days.

Culinary Arts demos can be found in the Where & When you will receive the night before.  I think Americas Test Kitchen is no longer affiliated with HAL.

Since I will be onboard the week before you board, I will do my best to gather as much info as possible and post it here on this thread to give the roll call a heads-up.

• 9 months later...
20 minutes ago, jclav said:

We're sailing in June as well and definitely looking for advice and menus.  Thanks for all your tips

HAL daily menus are published by season/region.  If you are on the Koningsdam in June, 2022, you will be heading for Alaska and those menus have yet to be published. 

I will be in Alaska the last week of April and will be posting the daily menus.  Here is a link to all of HAL's menus with the exception of the daily menus:  HAL Menus

Feel free to ask specific questions on this forum to help in your planning.

On 4/19/2021 at 5:50 PM, Crew News said:

I enjoy the NY Pizza & Deli area above the indoor pool for just hanging out.  The free food, (chicken wings, sandwiches, pizza, bagels, and salads) and just a short walk to gelato/milk shakes makes the spot good for me.  It also has very good internet connection speed.

Here is a link to my photo review of the Koningsdam that shows lots of public places where you can hang out:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-konigsdam-on-board

Are the milkshakes included with the drink package?