Panama canal 15 nights on Millenium, rainy season ?

Thechamp555

I'll confine comments of weather to the Canal since that will be the one place weather may impact activities the most. 

It depends on just when in the "fall" your cruise will take place.  There will be a better chance of rain in the September/October time frame and less of a rain chance in the November/December time period.  The weather should tend towards drier as you move towards the end of December.  The Atlantic side will provide a better chance of rain anytime during the day than the Pacific side, while the Pacific side will offer more of a chance of rain in the afternoon.  The good news is usually the rain won't be an all day affair over the entire area and should pass in a relatively short time.

Been on Canal cruises numerous times during October and yes have been rained on a time or two, but none of the cruises were washouts.

I did the canal in October several years ago and here was my experience:

There were late afternoon thunderstorms along the Pacific coast south of Acapulco. And it rained for an hour or so midday while we were transiting the canal. I don't recall any rain on the Atlantic side or subsequent Caribbean ports.

But none of that detracted in any way from an otherwise excellent trip (naturally, YMMV). :-)  

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Rain goes with the tropics.  Afternoon showers are normal.

This - especially in the Central America area you are going.  It's considered rain forest. 

Just pack a couple of those disposable rain ponchos from the dollar store, keep your camera / phone in a plastic baggie, plan on coming back to the ship sticky / wet, and you will be fine. 

Even if by  some odd chance you dodge the showers, know that it will be much more humid than many other parts of the Caribbean.

Not trying to discourage you, it's a wonderful trip, just be prepared. 

You don't be that ugly tourist who complains to the guide about the weather 😁

7 hours ago, Thechamp555 said:

Hello all,

Any of you have past experience on Panama canal cruises in the fall ?

We are considering a 15 nights on the millennium but how's really the weather in this time of the year ?

Thank you !

The champ 555

We've done the full passage in May/June as well as October.  The October one, yes, it was rainy in most ports.  Sometimes just a little, other times a real downpour, but it didn't last long.  Most nights there was what I call a spectacular "light show" due to the lighting storms while raining as we pulled out of port.

But It wasn't so bad that we couldn't go ashore.

I'll be doing the full transit on Serenade Oct 2-15, 2022 from San Pedro-Tampa....Not worried about the weather .... too excited for this itinerary that will sail out of my home port :classic_biggrin:

The weather going to, or from the Canal is worth mentioning as well. Assume you are starting or ending in Florida...meaning the Caribbean is still in hurricane season. Hurricanes very rarely affect Panama, but commonly affect the Caribbean. The ship will avoid, to the best of it's ability any storms.

I strongly agree with the earlier comment...much of the area you will be sailing in is tropical, and thus rain...at times large quantities of rain, is required by definition. To further confirm that, you will see truly large amounts of water are required to move ships through the Canal...that is how the Canal works. That water comes from rain.

• Like 1