Final Payment Due Soon on Istanbul to Monte Carlo Cruise (10/18/21)

ricka47

My wife and I came back from our shortened Riviera Caribbean cruise, in March of 2020, with Covid.  We did have a 150% FCC which we applied to a 20-day Istanbul to Monte Carlo cruise staring on 10/18/21. We have about 8 days before our final payment is required.

My concern is that, even if our cruise goes as scheduled, it will not be at the same level as we would normally expect. With it being one of the first after the re-start (if there is indeed a re-start), the crew will not be as well trained, and a routine will not yet be established.

We've been on new ships or those returning from dry dock and things are usually pretty rough. I would imagine that this would be a similar situation - perhaps worse.

Plus, if we must wear a mask all the time except for when we are actually taking a bite of food or taking a sip of a drink, that will certainly lesson the overall quality.

Also, this ship sails out of Istanbul which the CDC (not my favorite agency, to be sure) has advised that all travelers avoid. I have not checked all of the other ports on this cruise but I'm sure that many are on the list. If this were a Caribbean cruise, I would not care if we skipped every port. But this is for our 30th anniversary and is also rather expensive.

Here is how I see our options and would welcome opinions.

• Cancel now before making final payment.
  • Make final payment hoping that, if they cancel, we’ll get 125% FCC or something else.
  • Go for it and hope that, if the cruise goes, the experience is not greatly diminished.
Edited by ricka47

Just now, Paulchili said:

Unfortunately, your guess is as good and accurate as anybody else's

Choose the option you are most comfortable with.

Yup, just gonna gonna spin the wheel and get an answer. I did see where some folks are noting that final payments were moved to be 60 days out. But, I haven't seen that officially. I better check that.

Perhaps you missed the news, but Oceania moved final payment for all cruises through Oct 31 to 60 days pre cruise. Therefore, if your cruise is on 10/28 your payment isn’t due until August. You have awhile.

Not only has your cruise final payment been pushed back to 60 days,  Oceania has not been giving 125% FCC for several months now.  If they cancel you get your money back or you get the same FCC than you had used to pay for the cruise.  

Rebook  a cruise for 2023  if you can

If you have an FCC check when you have to book & sail by to get the full value

Most returning crew have been with Oceania  for a few years if they cannot get it together in  a month  then there is  a problem

We are also booked on this cruise, and really hoping that it will sail. Terrific itinerary! Our TA told us that if we want our money back we have to cancel by August 18th.  For a future travel voucher you can cancel up to 15 days before travel.

And yes, final payment date is August 18th.

Here's hoping that we see you onboard🛳️

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

I did get the 60 days FP set up. We'll know something by then - I hope!

you probably  still have to wear a mask  onboard at least for the first  few month of cruises

1 hour ago, seachelt said:

We are also booked on this cruise, and really hoping that it will sail. Terrific itinerary! Our TA told us that if we want our money back we have to cancel by August 18th.  For a future travel voucher you can cancel up to 15 days before travel.

And yes, final payment date is August 18th.

Here's hoping that we see you onboard🛳️

I hope so. We have something on our invoice called, "Travelers Assurance Program #2" which appears to allow cancellations after FP without penalty. Maybe you have that as well?

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

you probably  still have to wear a mask  onboard at least for the first  few month of cruises

I really hope not. The CDC has no authority on this cruise and NCL is requiring vaccinations. Plus, in our case, we both have had COVID and have anti-bodies galore. I don't want to wear a mask needlessly for 20 days.

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

I really hope not. The CDC has no authority on this cruise and NCL is requiring vaccinations. Plus, in our case, we both have had COVID and have anti-bodies galore. I don't want to wear a mask needlessly for 20 days.

NCLH protocols currently include mask requirements on all cruises . Here's the statement on Oceania's website:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/health

FACE COVERINGS

• Face coverings are currently required for guests while indoors except for in their own accommodations and while eating and drinking in restaurants, bars and lounges or outdoors when physical distancing is not possible.
  • Face coverings may be required in certain settings to comply with local requirements, for example in terminals for embarkation and disembarkation or at ports of call.
  • We will continue to monitor public health guidance, including from the CDC, at the time of your voyage and modify requirements accordingly.

14 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Yeah, I think that the NCL decision applies to all of their holdings. I think that they need to do it.

NCLH  which owns NCL REGENT & OCEANIA  probably have the same rules for all their holdings

2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

I hope so. We have something on our invoice called, "Travelers Assurance Program #2" which appears to allow cancellations after FP without penalty. Maybe you have that as well?

I think it depends on when you got the Travelers Assurance Program.  In our case we purchased the cruise before July 31.  Our program allows you to cancel up to 48 hours before the cruise. After we pay in full, we receive the full value that we paid in FCC.  So you get the FCC, but not a cash refund. 

Edited by jeno

We are on this 20 day Grand Voyage as well with several friends and we hope it sails for sure because it is a great itinerary at a very nice price. Turkey has been locked down for religious purposes but that should be lifted within 10 days. The current CDC list of countries not to visit isn’t going to impact the cruises, only if the countries involved place restrictions.  A ship full of vaccinated travelers and crew is definitely a plus in our favor. Yes, we have the 60 FP but our dilemma is we are on the second segment, November 7 Monte Carlo to Miami Grand Voyage and that FP is due soon.  
Since ONLY Marina is targeted to sail August 29, no one has any idea if Riviera or any other Oceania ship will be the next ship to sail or if it will only be Marina sailing for the foreseeable future.  Believe me when I say, NO ONE KNOWS EXEPT THE GOOD LORD SO 🙏.
We are waiting out the decision and making the FP’s knowing we will get our FCC and payments back or transferred to our 2022 booking and not be assessed any fees.
Keep rolling the dice cruisers and my guess is we will know more in the next 30-45 days.  
Gerry