Ncl is now showing you can book Alaska 2021

andychris

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My Opinion is that NCL may have opened up cruises to book, but I don't see them physically cruising from Alaska this season (especially as early as August).

It seems several people are under the wrong assumption that as soon as the Alaska Tourism Restoration act passes cruises will be good to go. This is not true. Cruise ships sailing in Alaska are bound to the CDC Framework for Conditions to Sail and cruise lines have already stated these conditions are unrealistic to meet. 

I must be missing something.  It seems to me U.S. cruises beginning in August are totally doable.  With the recent and ever increasing concessions form the CDC I'm curious what exactly do you view is the biggest barrier in the CDC Conditional Sail Order that would prevent cruise lines from sailing by August?  

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

At the moment the ONLY Norwegian ship to be in position to sail to Alaska by August would be The Sun.  She is currently docked in Mexico.

d have to happen in about a 3 week time frame (with a Memorial Day break coming quickly):

The Senate passed the bill and send it to the House.  The Speaker of House would to to assign it to a Committee.  The Committee would have to hold hearings.  The Committee would then vote on it and sent it to the House for a vote.  The House would then have to vote and send it to President Biden.  If the Committee adds anything to the bill, then it would go to a conference committee, sent back to the Senate for a re-vote and then back to the House.

By my calculations ALL OF THIS would have to be accomplished by 15th of June.  After all of this then the CDC would have to decide to amend the No Sail Order which currently expires 31 October.

Did you miss the part about it being the Bliss that is now available to reserve?  I think you're way overexaggerating what will be needed to make this bill law.  This is a real simple bill that will likely receive an immediate vote in the house, with broad support and approval.  It's happened many times.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mianmike said:

I must be missing something.  It seems to me U.S. cruises beginning in August are totally doable.  With the recent and ever increasing concessions form the CDC I'm curious what exactly do you view is the biggest barrier in the CDC Conditional Sail Order that would prevent cruise lines from sailing by August?  

It’s not me personally that feels the new CDC concessions are unworkable. Here is the CLia response to the CDC concessions on the technical sheet: 
“But the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the industry’s trade group, called the instructions “so burdensome and ambiguous that no clear path forward or timetable can be discerned.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/travel/battle-of-the-seas-cruise-lines-vs-the-cdc.amp.html

here is the CLia response in a different article:. When asked about the clarified CDC concessions they called them

“burdensome, largely unworkable and seem to reflect a zero-risk objective rather than the mitigation approach to COVID that is the basis for every other U.S. sector of our society.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.afar.com/magazine/cdc-says-you-can-travel-in-the-us-but-not-cruise-so-cruise-lines-are-going-abroad/amp

The cdc has eased some requirements- but there are lots of niggles in the framework if you read all 29 pages. It’s the CLIA who is stating that even with the concessions, the framework is still too cumbersome.

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It’s not me personally that feels the new CDC concessions are unworkable. Here is the CLia response to the CDC concessions on the technical sheet: 
“But the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the industry’s trade group, called the instructions “so burdensome and ambiguous that no clear path forward or timetable can be discerned.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/travel/battle-of-the-seas-cruise-lines-vs-the-cdc.amp.html

here is the CLia response in a different article:. When asked about the clarified CDC concessions they called them

“burdensome, largely unworkable and seem to reflect a zero-risk objective rather than the mitigation approach to COVID that is the basis for every other U.S. sector of our society.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.afar.com/magazine/cdc-says-you-can-travel-in-the-us-but-not-cruise-so-cruise-lines-are-going-abroad/amp

The cdc has eased some requirements- but there are lots of niggles in the framework if you read all 29 pages. It’s the CLIA who is stating that even with the concessions, the framework is still too cumbersome.

I saw those articles and CLIA's response, but those articles are ancient history.  Before the CDC made their major concessions.  I've not read anything that would stop cruising from starting in August.  The cruise lines need to get the port agreements signed which given there are two motivated parties it should not be too arduous.  I would guess once the PVSA workaround is passed and signed into law and the port agreements are signed the cruise lines will commit to sailing by August.  They will do so hoping/assuming the CDC will have relaxed the indoor mask requirements (i.e. putting mask back on between bites) by August.  

What am I missing?  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mianmike said:

I saw those articles and CLIA's response, but those articles are ancient history.  Before the CDC made their major concessions.  I've not read anything that would stop cruising from starting in August.  The cruise lines need to get the port agreements signed which given there are two motivated parties it should not be too arduous.  I would guess once the PVSA workaround is passed and signed into law and the port agreements are signed the cruise lines will commit to sailing by August.  They will do so hoping/assuming the CDC will have relaxed the indoor mask requirements (i.e. putting mask back on between bites) by August.  

What am I missing?  

The first link was updated may 8th. I have only seen one article with yesterday’s concessions but as far as i can tell those have to do with non revenue generated sailings. I can think of lots of loose ends, but I don’t know what cruise lines are organizing behind the scenes. 

Perhaps you are correct and the cruise lines are ready to meet the new terms. I’m hesitant to believe  that the cruise lines will start sailing in august from the USA- but I would be happy to be wrong.

I just want them to get it right whenever they start. Things like the Yankee outbreak make me nervous. I think the most important thing is that the initial sailings remain covid free.

39 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Did you miss the part about it being the Bliss that is now available to reserve?  I think you're way overexaggerating what will be needed to make this bill law.  This is a real simple bill that will likely receive an immediate vote in the house, with broad support and approval.  It's happened many times.

Yes, you might be able to book The Bliss but that is no guarantee that She will sail out of Seattle this season.  At the moment She is docked in the United Kingdom.  Would take several weeks for Her to get to Seattle. 

There were 4 ships scheduled to sail from the Pacific Northwest to Alaska this season: (1) The Bliss currently docked in the United Kingdom, (2) The Encore currently at anchor off Singapore, (3) The Jewel currently docked Dodge Island (Miami) and (4) The Sun docked in Mexico.

If this bill gets passed in time and the CDC lifts the No Sail Order, I would suspect that The Jewel and The Sun could sail from Seattle, Washington providing that the Port of Seattle is open which it may not be.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Yes, you might be able to book The Bliss but that is no guarantee that She will sail out of Seattle this season.  At the moment She is docked in the United Kingdom.  Would take several weeks for Her to get to Seattle. 

Maybe.  But we have several months, so I don't see the issue.  I'm sure that there is more than wishful thinking behind this at NCL.

7 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

There were 4 ships scheduled to sail from the Pacific Northwest to Alaska this season: (1) The Bliss currently docked in the United Kingdom, (2) The Encore currently at anchor off Singapore, (3) The Jewel currently docked Dodge Island (Miami) and (4) The Sun docked in Mexico.

If this bill gets passed in time and the CDC lifts the No Sail Order, I would suspect that The Jewel and The Sun could sail from Seattle, Washington providing that the Port of Seattle is open which it may not be.

I doesn't matter what "was."  NCL has opened reservations for the Bliss in September and October, so there is little reason to "suspect" what "could" happen.  The bill will pass quickly.  I'll guarantee it! 🤣

• Like 1

Just now, CaptainWoody said:

I doesn't matter what "was."  NCL has opened reservations for the Bliss in September and October, so there is little reason to "suspect" what "could" happen.  The bill will pass quickly.  I'll guarantee it! 🤣

I hope you're right! In fact, I've bet $125 that you are. 😄

The Bliss cruises, like the other newly-announced NCL cruises, are limited to vaccinated passengers & crew. As for the port, our governor has announced that the state is fully re-opening by June 30. I am assuming that NCL has been chatting with the port authority about how that will work.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coastcat said:

I hope you're right! In fact, I've bet $125 that you are. 😄

The Bliss cruises, like the other newly-announced NCL cruises, are limited to vaccinated passengers & crew. As for the port, our governor has announced that the state is fully re-opening by June 30. I am assuming that NCL has been chatting with the port authority about how that will work.

Yep.  We had Alaska cruises booked in May 2020, May 2021, and October 2021.  All cancelled by NCL.  This new development replaces our original October 2021 booking.  Bliss instead of Encore, so it's like exactly the same thing (only different).  When they cancelled our original October 2021 Alaska, we booked a replacement Caribbean out of Miami.   We were delighted to hear that we will be able to revert to the Alaska plan.  Shorter/cheaper flights.  Much greater scenery.  And a train ride at the pinnacle!!  Life is good! 😎 (despite what my new friend Susie has to say.... 🤣)

Edited by CaptainWoody
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Would it be wishful thinking to hope that in the off chance they choose to bring the Sun back for Alaska this year that they would reinstate the original bookings??

I wouldn't

19 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Would it be wishful thinking to hope that in the off chance they choose to bring the Sun back for Alaska this year that they would reinstate the original bookings??

I doubt it would work that way.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they added a second ship.  The Bliss is on a Saturday to Saturday schedule.  They may add a second on a Sunday to Sunday schedule.  We'll see....

Skate to where the puck is going...

NCL posted the Bliss for sale on their website with some calculation - staff, provisions, availability. They are skating to where the puck is going. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but directionally the virus numbers and the CDC orders are moving in the right direction, but probably more importantly, the people have decided enough is enough and just want to start living with this new risk.

Edited by CroozFanatic
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Skate to where the puck is going...

NCL posted the Bliss for sale on their website with some calculation - staff, provisions, availability. They are skating to where the puck is going. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but directionally the virus numbers and the CDC orders are moving in the right direction, but probably more importantly, the people have decided enough is enough and just want to start living with this new risk.

NCL is Megacorp.  They're in business because they know what they're doing.  It will happen.  Take it to the bank.

I love/hate Megacorp.  But I do understand Megacorp.  Lived it for years....

Edited by CaptainWoody

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do hope you October Alaska Cruise goes off without a hitch! Alaska is beautiful in any season.

Another advantage of a late-season Alaska cruise, if you don't mind cooler weather:  Better chance of seeing the Northern Lights.  🙂 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, trivimp said:

Another advantage of a late-season Alaska cruise, if you don't mind cooler weather:  Better chance of seeing the Northern Lights.  🙂 

Yep.  We've done the Alaska cruise twice before, so basically exhausted the shore excursions that interest us.  If the weather is not nice, we'll just hang around the ship.  I just want to get back on a ship.  😎

1 hour ago, CaptainWoody said:

Yep.  We've done the Alaska cruise twice before, so basically exhausted the shore excursions that interest us.  If the weather is not nice, we'll just hang around the ship.  I just want to get back on a ship.  😎

I probably wouldn’t do excursions. However, if this cruise goes I intend to get off at each port and spend like a drunken sailor at local shops and restaurants. 

11 minutes ago, coastcat said:

I probably wouldn’t do excursions. However, if this cruise goes I intend to get off at each port and spend like a drunken sailor at local shops and restaurants. 

I will probably just stay on the ship and not spend anything (additional) at the local bars and restaurants.  😎

17 hours ago, mianmike said:

Today's news supports your belief. In an abrupt change, both Royal Caribbean and Carnival are moving ships to Florida as we speak.  Both the Odyssey and Mardi Gras should arrive early June.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25025-new-carnival-and-royal-caribbean-ships-are-heading-to-florida.html

And I can see where sailing from Seattle to Alaska without a foreign port makes things even simpler. You just may be correct @mianmike! :) :) :)

• Like 1

Folks gonna cancel Punta Cana and Montego Bay and jump on Seattle/Alaska.

Those would be very experimental home ports vs. an established port and supply chain in Seattle. Not to mention hotels, restaurants, and taxi/uber in Seattle.

Nice NCL didn't jack up prices for the Bliss in Alaska.  Was just looking at 2021 vs. 2022. OMG!

1 hour ago, CroozFanatic said:

Nice NCL didn't jack up prices for the Bliss in Alaska.  Was just looking at 2021 vs. 2022. OMG!

We're booked for Alaska both October 2022 and now October 2021.  The new 2021 booking costs about 15% less, but I'm guessing that's because they just opened it up and we got in early.