LETTER RE: Cyber Data Breach

regnig

A little help please. I received a letter today titled "Notice of Data Breach".  No where in the letter or on the envelope did it identify the company it was from. The letter stated "unauthorized third-party gained access to certain personal information relating to some of our guests, employees, and crews."  Included in the letter reference was made go passport numbers along with several other forms of personal data.  The return address on the letter was 

Return Mail Processing Center

P.O. Box 6336

Portland, OR 27228-6336

The letter offered free credit monitering and identity theft services for 1 year through Cyberscout.  Since I've never heard of Cyberscout I'm hesitant to contact them but theirs is the only phone number contained in the letter.  Did anyone else get this letter or know if it is really from HAL?

Thanks!

Be careful if you post on Facebook cruise groups under your real name.

When in doubt, call the sender directly, don't use phone numbers on the letter, look up HAL customer service on their website. 

PS It sounds scammy in nature, it's too vague.  

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 3

It sounds like advertising.  Everyone, some where at sometime has been in a data leak.  Even the US government has been hacked.  Treat is as advertising, if you feel the need to have this type of service do your comparative shopping and read reviews 

1 hour ago, regnig said:

I received a letter today titled "Notice of Data Breach".  No where in the letter or on the envelope did it identify the company it was from.   Did anyone else get this letter or know if it is really from HAL?

Thanks!

Why do you think it came from HAL?

• Like 1

Due to the line "relating to some of our guests, employees, and crews."  and the reference to Passport Numbers.  

My feeling that this was just snail mail Spam but thought I'd see if it was legit.  I appreciate the advice for all.  Unless someone reports anything new I'm just going to file this in the good old File 13!

Both I and my DW received the letter today.  I called the number listed for more information.  Found that the data breach was from Carnival Corp.  I was surprised and somewhat pissed that nowhere in the letter was the company identified.  Could be a problem if you think all the data Carnival has in their database; credit card numbers, passport numbers, date of birth, etc.

20 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Both I and my DW received the letter today.  I called the number listed for more information.  Found that the data breach was from Carnival Corp.  I was surprised and somewhat pissed that nowhere in the letter was the company identified.  Could be a problem if you think all the data Carnival has in their database; credit card numbers, passport numbers, date of birth, etc.

The data breach was quite a while back and was announced on the website for many months.  I also think they sent an email. The “security” company is merely taking advantage of past history and actually could have gotten our information from the hackers. 

I find my best protection is letting Apple Safari manage my website data and it immediately notifies me if any login information I use has been discovered in a hack.  Change your passwords regularly., use a strong password generator and a password keeper 

Edited by Mary229