Encore to replace the Bliss for 2021 Alaska Cruises?

mianmike

2 hours ago, Ocean Cat said:

Cant figure out how to start a new topic

im wanting to sail The Encore in Nov to The Caribbean but someone on another thread said that The Encore will now take The place of Bliss not only for the Alaska itinerary but after that, it will be used for the Mexico itinerary. So what happens to The Caribbean itinerary that I was going to book on The Encore? What ship will be used for that?

None of us know! I suspect the are correct though. Moving ships through the canal is expensive and it seems like, if anything, maybe they will just swap the Bliss and the Encore for the foreseeable future?

Got my notice yesterday of being moved to Encore from Bliss (although with some invoicing errors).  No big deal, I've never sailed on Encore, so a new ship for me. So far, the only thing I'll miss is the Wyland hull wrap 🐳🦈🐟.  I can live with that! 🙂

Edited by jcscv

2 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Encore back up on the website, they've taken off some promotions, like extra point to sail and the free airfare but prices look to be the same as what it was a few days ago as a Bliss sailing

The double bonus points promo ended Monday night. Luckily I’d booked 26 days of cruises when the promo was in place!

Still no Thermal Suite but the (exhausted sounding) rep I spoke with last night said that a lot of updates will push through the system in the next couple days. I’ll ignore my booking until next week. 

Yeah, sure I will…. 

1 minute ago, coastcat said:

The double bonus points promo ended Monday night. Luckily I’d booked 26 days of cruises when the promo was in place!

Still no Thermal Suite but the (exhausted sounding) rep I spoke with last night said that a lot of updates will push through the system in the next couple days. I’ll ignore my booking until next week. 

Yeah, sure I will…. 

I would have booked after the Joy got cancelled, but I promised myself I wasn't going to book until the CDC approved a voyage so I still have to wait. Maybe there will be a Father's Day promo or something, or I could wait until 4th of July altho that would be risky. 

1 hour ago, crystlvylt1 said:

Hoping this is not another fly in the ointment, but this is not good: CDC says Florida lawsuit imperils summer cruises to Alaska | KOMO (komonews.com)

And from here, linked from that article. 

https://cbs12.com/news/local/talks-at-impasse-in-cruise-industry-fight

Alaska also has requested approval to intervene in the case on Florida’s side, saying in a document filed Wednesday it wants to “protect its interests in the CDC’s constantly-morphing orders, restrictions and guidance which will apply to all large Alaska cruises in 2021.”

And ... I'm out. It sounds like Alaska doesn't want my money any more than Florida does.

It was fun almost going on a cruise, for a week or two there. 

22 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

And from here, linked from that article. 

https://cbs12.com/news/local/talks-at-impasse-in-cruise-industry-fight

Alaska also has requested approval to intervene in the case on Florida’s side, saying in a document filed Wednesday it wants to “protect its interests in the CDC’s constantly-morphing orders, restrictions and guidance which will apply to all large Alaska cruises in 2021.”

And ... I'm out. It sounds like Alaska doesn't want my money any more than Florida does.

It was fun almost going on a cruise, for a week or two there. 

There is just a WHOLE LOT OF PRIDE AND POLITICS going on right now, no one wants to back down and just let the cruiselines do what the CDC wants. IMHO, there is a simple solution: Florida and Texas need to make a vaccine exemption for cruiselines, and if they won't do that, just wait it out for the test cruises to go through.  But there so much saving face that this will not happen. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

There is just a WHOLE LOT OF PRIDE AND POLITICS going on right now, no one wants to back down and just let the cruiselines do what the CDC wants. IMHO, there is a simple solution: Florida and Texas need to make a vaccine exemption for cruiselines, and if they won't do that, just wait it out for the test cruises to go through.  But there so much saving face that this will not happen. 

That's really what I believed would happen, because on that path lies the flowing of the almighty dollar. It might still happen, I guess, but I lost track of the fact that Alaska was taking the same stance as FL and TX, and jumped the gun on booking the AK cruise. 

My cruise was one of the Bliss > Encore ones, and my booking is still broken (with a small but erroneous outstanding balance). I just got off the phone with NCL, and the rep said they can't get into these cruises yet, so I can't cancel yet. I have ten days left before cancel penalties kick in. 🙂 So this will be a fun little countdown. (Another reason I can't just wait for the politics to work themselves out. I'm not going on an unvaccinated cruise, not this year. For some reason I fooled myself into thinking that a cruise out of WA would not be affected by Florida Man.)

(NCL rep was nice, I was nice to the rep, she didn't think it would be long before they will be able to access the broken bookings again.)

Edited by AdoraBelle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crystlvylt1 said:

Hoping this is not another fly in the ointment, but this is not good: CDC says Florida lawsuit imperils summer cruises to Alaska | KOMO (komonews.com)

This part makes no sense:

"If Florida wins an injunction blocking the CDC order, it would "end cruising in Alaska for the season," lawyers for the agency say because the bill pushed by Alaska's Republican congressional delegation hinges on the CDC order being in effect."

The CSO is only in place (currently) through October 31 but the federal legislation allowed bypassing Canadian ports through next Feb (the scheduled end of Canada's closures).  The above quote seems to suggest that cruising would end whenever the CSO goes away.

In addition, the original legislation "sailed" through congress (unanimous approvals in both houses).  If there is a glitch, it could just as quickly be replaced.

9 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

This part makes no sense:

"If Florida wins an injunction blocking the CDC order, it would "end cruising in Alaska for the season," lawyers for the agency say because the bill pushed by Alaska's Republican congressional delegation hinges on the CDC order being in effect."

The CSO is only in place (currently) through October 31 but the federal legislation allowed bypassing Canadian ports through next Feb (the scheduled end of Canada's closures).  The above quote seems to suggest that cruising would end whenever the CSO goes away.

In addition, the original legislation "sailed" through congress (unanimous approvals in both houses).  If there is a glitch, it could just as quickly be replaced.

I don’t think FL wins anyway but this likely won’t be over by the time August rolls around.  In the beginning, I thought the state had a solid case but after reading more. I’m not so sure.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

I don’t think FL wins anyway but this likely won’t be over by the time August rolls around.  In the beginning, I thought the state had a solid case but after reading more. I’m not so sure.   

Yep.  On National health issues, I really can't see a state "winning" in taking on a federal agency.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The irony is that the CDC is ready to let cruises sail. It's Florida's moratorium on vaccine requirements that is putting sailings in jeopardy now.

I am obviously keeping an eye on it but I don’t think this goes anywhere. Desantis tried this back around Christmas time but then never filed anything in court.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdoraBelle said:

That's really what I believed would happen, because on that path lies the flowing of the almighty dollar. It might still happen, I guess, but I lost track of the fact that Alaska was taking the same stance as FL and TX, and jumped the gun on booking the AK cruise. 

My cruise was one of the Bliss > Encore ones, and my booking is still broken (with a small but erroneous outstanding balance). I just got off the phone with NCL, and the rep said they can't get into these cruises yet, so I can't cancel yet. I have ten days left before cancel penalties kick in. 🙂 So this will be a fun little countdown. (Another reason I can't just wait for the politics to work themselves out. I'm not going on an unvaccinated cruise, not this year. For some reason I fooled myself into thinking that a cruise out of WA would not be affected by Florida Man.)

(NCL rep was nice, I was nice to the rep, she didn't think it would be long before they will be able to access the broken bookings again.)

Isn't the Encore going to be a vaccinated cruise? 

6 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Isn't the Encore going to be a vaccinated cruise? 

Yes.  It is and it will sail.  Washington State (not Alaska) has not pushed back at all on the vaccination requirement, and they won't in the future.  The "noise" is that some radical media has claimed that if the FLA lawsuit prevails, it will invalidate the CDC's CSO, and that the law allowing the ships to bypass Canada will somehow then become invalid.  It's all just nonsense.  The media will report anything to get attention these days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CaptainWoody said:

Yes.  It is and it will sail.  Washington State (not Alaska) has not pushed back at all on the vaccination requirement, and they won't in the future.  The "noise" is that some radical media has claimed that if the FLA lawsuit prevails, it will invalidate the CDC's CSO, and that the law allowing the ships to bypass Canada will somehow then become invalid.  It's all just nonsense.  The media will report anything to get attention these days.

Ah ok whew. I am trying to decide if I want to do August in Alaska or wait until late Sept for Bermuda on Breakaway. Breakaway is much cheaper and I'm loving the idea of tropical vacay, but not the hurricane season stuff. And Alaska is beautiful, but they do want a lot of my FCCs for any of those cabins...

On 6/3/2021 at 12:54 PM, redsox1584 said:

I think I will wait till next week to call them...I’m sure they are dealing with enough right now with all the pricing and invoice errors.

I did get into an online chat with an agent and she said that once the merge from the Bliss to Encore is complete, everyone should receive new updated confirmations and then I can request the room change. I guess I should have just waited until next week to call like I said I would lol. 

just letting everyone know that you can’t make any changes to your reservation until the merge is completed

Edited by redsox1584

1 hour ago, RaftingJeremy said:

The moment the CDC said "Here are two paths forward", FLA case fell apart. The CDC has now given the cruiselines paths forward. I'm no judge but if I was, I'd tell both sides to scram. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aubreyc1988 said:

The moment the CDC said "Here are two paths forward", FLA case fell apart. The CDC has now given the cruiselines paths forward. I'm no judge but if I was, I'd tell both sides to scram. 

Agree the case will be dismissed.  Alaska is a GO!!

• Like 3

My cabin changed as part of the ship change but I now can see that the cabin I originally booked is still available.  They moved me up two decks so that I'm now on the same level as the observation lounge.  I'm guessing this means that they felt they could improve my cabin and did so.  Thanks NCL!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

My cabin changed as part of the ship change but I now can see that the cabin I originally booked is still available.  They moved me up two decks so that I'm now on the same level as the observation lounge.  I'm guessing this means that they felt they could improve my cabin and did so.  Thanks NCL!

That is so great...now I just have to either swallow my pride and pay what needs to paid to go to Alaska or do Breakaway to Bermuda in hurricane season...

1 minute ago, aubreyc1988 said:

That is so great...now I just have to either swallow my pride and pay what needs to paid to go to Alaska or do Breakaway to Bermuda in hurricane season...

Just do it.... ( peer pressure hahaha) 😂

• Like 1

Just now, RaftingJeremy said:

Just do it.... ( peer pressure hahaha) 😂

Haha I need a good NCL "Sale" to pressure me...maybe t here will be a Father's Day one...or will I be forced to wait until 4th of July rolls around, I need some extra perks!!!