Hawaii

TiffyAnn

My mom wants to do a Hawaii cruise in the spring.  She will be 81 and I was wondering if anyone has floan the celebrity flights and do the planes have more leg room? She has trouble sitting for so long.  Thanks 

"Celebrity Flights" just acts as a travel agent between you and the airlines. No special planes or sitting, just the standard seating arrangements. If you want a higher level of cabin you have to pay for it at the prevailing chosen airline rates. 

• Like 1

I got my own flights and canceled the cruises air. We are DFW TO HAWAII and flight  is 8 1/2  hours long, im a senior and no way could i be in a standard seat. Ended up in first class on American airlines with lie flat seats. Long flights are hell for seniors. I ended up getting nonstops in first for 1500.00 pp R/T and consider it part of the cruise, you dont cruise to paradise everyday. Booking early is the key

• Like 1

I think your Mom should have a way to elevate her legs.   You don't want her getting DVT (deep vein thrombosis).   If you don't want to pay for bus. class seats, then I would advise you to see if you can get bulkhead seats in premium economy.  After the flight is airborne, then you could take down a carry-on suitcase and use it as a way to elevate her legs.

I hope you get to do this.  We are booked on the Eclipse, Honolulu to Vancouver in May 2023

They allow you to book business class, many have reported its discounted for international.  Unlike other cruise lines you can pick the exact flight you want.  The benefits are you get charged at the time of the sailing so don't have to pay up front and therefore if your sailing gets cancelled you never get charged in the first place.  If you book on your own, most fares have no change fees nowadays but if your cruise is cancelled you don't get a refund when you cancel your airfare, just a credit which could be in the thousands if you bought a pair of international business class tickets.  They also allow you to add your status/mileage account.  Like anything compare the pricing to other booking sites.

If you decide to book business check on the business seating on the airline you choose or are offered. You can use a site like seat guru to look at the business/first class seating. You can not assume that all business seats are the same, they can range from just a bit more comfort and leg room to full lie flat.

You can also use this site to identify the best seats in economy if you decide to go that route. As TeaBag says, some seats in economy are far more roomy. 

Hope you and your Mom have a great cruise.

On 6/6/2021 at 9:33 AM, TiffyAnn said:

My mom wants to do a Hawaii cruise in the spring.  She will be 81 and I was wondering if anyone has floan the celebrity flights and do the planes have more leg room? She has trouble sitting for so long.  Thanks 

Have you considered sailing to and from Hawaii, with Hawaiian ports while you are there?  We did that on Celebrity, from San Diego, and loved it.  The days onboard provided us with several activities which gave us a greater appreciation for the islands once we were there, as well as a very comfortable way to get there and back!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 8:13 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Wow, quite a saving from X vs booking with American directly:

image.thumb.png.146f7c6a604d10714defe308e969274b.png

And here's the same flight on X:

image.thumb.png.3b35068380350bb6cee0ea05ce145449.png

With this information you can call American and they will match the price. Most major airlines will do this, they do not want to be undersold. I travel a lot on American, Alaska, Delta and United all will match especially if you have something like this your showing. 

• Like 1

The best way to get more room is to ask for a business class seat. Yes you might have to pay $50-100more but they will usually have 3 - 5 inches of more room. When we go with our father in law who has the same concern let them know and usually they will help you with this. We pay for the xtra room but usually he does not have to. 

50 minutes ago, Kevinwinston2019 said:

The best way to get more room is to ask for a business class seat. Yes you might have to pay $50-100more but they will usually have 3 - 5 inches of more room. When we go with our father in law who has the same concern let them know and usually they will help you with this. We pay for the xtra room but usually he does not have to. 

I think you must mean Premium Economy, or whatever the the different airlines call them. Because of my height, that's what I book all the time, that or exit row, which you also pay a premium for. Normally business class is only a few hundred dollars less than first class.

58 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I think you must mean Premium Economy, or whatever the the different airlines call them. Because of my height, that's what I book all the time, that or exit row, which you also pay a premium for. Normally business class is only a few hundred dollars less than first class.

The only $50 economy to first is on Hawaiian airlines inter island for those without status; it’s free for those with top status (if there are available seats).  Mainland to Hawaii business is a lot more yet are cheaper for those with status.  Here are the Hawaiian upgrade rates for those with status.

Anyone is welcome to ask my any questions, I hold top Hawaiian Airline status and flew them yesterday.

DEBAE328-869F-4722-85D2-A1E35EC3E837.jpeg

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

Rather than spending money on air, the previous poster suggested a round trip cruise. It’s a great idea for mom.  I regularly fly between Honolulu and NY although not recently due to COVID but while i enjoy and am used to the 11 hour flight, it is not for everyone.  I have in fact often flown to NY for a day or so only to fly back but my friends think i’m crazy lol. MY wife wants to buy me an airline seat instead of a recliner lol.  But seriously for mom use the money towards a more relaxed cruise. Aloha!

When I was planning the flights to take my elderly parents to Alaska for our cruise, I ordered something that is basically a sling that hooks around the tray table and provides a fabric foot rest.  The problem becomes if the flight attendants make you take it off since it's not "official" and they get antsy with anything that looks like it might affect the ability to exit a seat in case of emergency.

So that's an option if you must fly, but I agree with a lot of the posters above.  If you have the time and money, drive to the west coast and take a cruise to Hawaii before your cruise from/around Hawaii.  So much better than flying will ever be!