Meraviglia approved for test cruise

paulh84

On 6/6/2021 at 1:48 PM, Geobugs said:

I am glad to hear this.  Last Friday, I booked a cruise for November 2021 on the Meraviglia.  The travel agent and the cruise line never mentioned a vaccine requirement either.  It must be because of the test cruises.  They never asked about my status.  I am un-vaccinated.  I look forward to an awesome cruise.

I’m with you Geobugs.  We’ll be switching our booked Celebrity and Princess cruises to MSC and possibly RCL as we have no intention of getting jabbed in the near future, and don’t mind testing.  I believe being tested is something all passengers should be required to do regardless of vaccination status.  Statistics show some vaccinated people becoming infected due to faulty immune systems,

so universal testing makes sense.

Very disappointed in MSC.

We booked MSC last December based on the facts that MSC had a proven history with us on Covid19 control on both our March 2020 Armonia cruise and the information on the European cruises that were ongoing.  

At the time of our booking, none of the vaccinations had gained their Emergency Use Authorizations.

As the vaccines were rolled out and become widely available for ages twelve and up here in the US. it seemed that MSC had the opportunity to do vaccinated cruises in the US and offer a cruise experience as close to a pre Covid 19 experience as was possible.

The seven night itineraries on the Meravigilia certainly seem to tacitly imply fully vaccinated cruises  as the order of the ports of call with Bahamian ports the last two days of the cruise would necessitate vaccination in order to comply with the Bahamian health visa requirements.

I don't know why MSC decided that the most viable market demographic for them was to aim for the low end of the market with passengers who will not comply with public health recommendations.

That is MSC's choice and right. However, I have no interest in being on a cruise with those who can not understand the basic science of disease vectors and preventive controls and will cause a need on board ship for measures to the detriment of the on board experience for all.

So I will obtain a full refund on my MSC cruise as I have no further interest in MSC at this point.

I am reviewing my cruise options on those lines that will only be running fully vaccinated cruises. (As one line puts it: Those who are unvaccinated, can not be vaccinated, or too young to be vaccinated, can not cruise).

I am sure there are those who will wish to post responses to this point that will actually prove my point about the MSC target demographic.

I do hope my post remains in case MSC might read this forum so that another view of their established client list is represented.

• Like 3

I don't blame you one bit for your decision, it's your call whether or not to cruise with MSC based on their plans not to require vaccinations. I have a different view, which is that as a fully vaccinated person, I have no worry whatsoever about becoming sick. And given that MSC is the only major cruise line to have sailed continuously since last August (apart from a short break due to Italian government mandates) without the widespread outbreak of Covid-19 that many feared (they had isolated cases here and there but never the showstopper event that was widely predicted), I'd say that their strategy has paid off. But again, it's your money and your vacation time, so you need to do what's right for you. I would rather sail on a 100% vaccinated cruise but I won't insist on it.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I don't blame you one bit for your decision, it's your call whether or not to cruise with MSC based on their plans not to require vaccinations. I have a different view, which is that as a fully vaccinated person, I have no worry whatsoever about becoming sick. And given that MSC is the only major cruise line to have sailed continuously since last August (apart from a short break due to Italian government mandates) without the widespread outbreak of Covid-19 that many feared (they had isolated cases here and there but never the showstopper event that was widely predicted), I'd say that their strategy has paid off. But again, it's your money and your vacation time, so you need to do what's right for you. I would rather sail on a 100% vaccinated cruise but I won't insist on it.

My question is do I have to wear a mask on board and do I have to do a test every time I board a ship? we are vaccinated 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I have a different view, which is that as a fully vaccinated person, I have no worry whatsoever about becoming sick.

I can't say I've seen any poster here state they were vaccinated and wanted a vaccinated only sailing due to being worried about about becoming sick.  Most people don't want the restrictive protocols that come with a US mixed vaccination sailing.  Perhaps a portion of my concern is related to the increased possibility of an outbreak on the ship causing a change or termination of the cruise. 

Additionally I wonder what differences the foreign countries/ports will require for ships that carry unvaccinted passengers, those rules remain to be seen.  MSC has not stated whether they will allow vaccinated passengers to do private excursions, something the CDC said can happen.  I've found the "in progress" MSC US Caribbean & Bahamas Health & Safety web page but so far it fairly closely mirrors the European protocol page and isn't yet any help.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

My question is do I have to wear a mask on board and do I have to do a test every time I board a ship? we are vaccinated 

That is what I mean about the effects of the restrictions on the on board experience for all passengers.

I also question if the cruise ship has passengers that have bought into no vaccinations, no masks, no social distancing, no testing, what is going to happen the first time said group decides  to defy the  procedures on board?

Granted, I know that ship's security will quickly solve the problem, but I do not want to watch the drama.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Até said:

I can't say I've seen any poster here state they were vaccinated and wanted a vaccinated only sailing due to being worried about about becoming sick.  Most people don't want the restrictive protocols that come with a US mixed vaccination sailing.  Perhaps a portion of my concern is related to the increased possibility of an outbreak on the ship causing a change or termination of the cruise. 

Additionally I wonder what differences the foreign countries/ports will require for ships that carry unvaccinted passengers, those rules remain to be seen.  MSC has not stated whether they will allow vaccinated passengers to do private excursions, something the CDC said can happen.  I've found the "in progress" MSC US Caribbean & Bahamas Health & Safety web page but so far it fairly closely mirrors the European protocol page and isn't yet any help.

Well, as I alluded to above, there hasn't been the "outbreak on the ship" that would cause a termination, unless there was a news story about one recently that eluded me. AFAIK it's been very limited. I can think of a German ship that offloaded some sick passengers a couple of months ago (IIRC) in the Canary Islands but then kept going. The whole specter of the doomed cruise with multiple people infected and the cruise industry given a black eye is a source of, in my opinion, bizarre fascination by many on this website. Given that Celebrity is now cruising the Caribbean, it would appear that the islands where ports of call are located have given the green light to cruise ships calling. A lot has changed since spring of 2020 and most of it (recently), for the better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

MSC will have to follow the CDC's Technical Guidelines for cruises that do not meet the 95% vaccinated passenger exemptions.  Masks will be required in most public areas.  MSC may let people walking on the pool deck go without, but so far in Europe that has been limited to only those on a lounger or in the pools/hot tub.  Masks also can be taken off in restaurants and bars but there are rules stating you cannot make this an "extended" event so how that is enforced remains to be seen.  Vaccinated passengers will not be required by the CDC to be tested before and after the cruise but MSC has not yet stated their policy.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

15 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

Guests onboard the MSC Virtuosa have had to wear masks and test, but they all had a grand time. Check out the threads on here for proof of what I mean. I don't care either way. I'd prefer to be unmasked but I'll go, no matter what. You might have a different view, and that's fine.

10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well, as I alluded to above, there hasn't been the "outbreak on the ship" that would cause a termination, unless there was a news story about one recently that eluded me....

Given that Celebrity is now cruising the Caribbean, it would appear that the islands where ports of call are located have given the green light to cruise ships calling.

I only know of smaller ships that had actual outbreaks that caused termination of the cruises.  So far MSC has kept a lid on hitting whatever threshold they are held to in Italy and UK.  It will be interesting to see how MSC deals with US passengers who may react differently to the restrictions they no longer face while on land. 

So far there are no large ship cruises with unvaccinated passengers in the Caribbean so I remain unsure about possible different treatment by the visited countries between the two strategies.

Edited by Até

2 minutes ago, Até said:

I only know of smaller ships that had actual outbreaks that caused termination of the cruises. 

There was one a few months ago that sailed from the UK to Barbados, the name escapes me at the moment. That cruise ended abruptly. Anyway, we have to get over this notion that even a major outbreak spells the end of the entire cruise industry. It's just a silly way to look at things, in my view. Our society doesn't/can't simply shut down because of a problem. We've had numerous car accidents and plane crashes but we don't stop building cars or airplanes. I'd argue that the cruise industry's response makes it less of a disease vector, not more. But, you must do as you see fit and decide what risks, if any, to assume. Only time will tell how things shake out.

Much of the CDC guidance is aimed at preventing outbreaks that would cause the termination of the cruise, having agreements with ports of call to secure quarantine areas to treat COVID-19 positive passengers helps keep the ship below the termination "threshold".  MSC and other cruise lines have applied this principle to their past and current sailings, not all cruise lines had strong protocols and that is when you heard of the problems.  Any line sailing large ships from the US will have to meet the CDC guidelines.

The link below is a fairly reliable source that monitors cases on cruise ships.  Many caused the end of the cruise but some, like on MSC, did not.  Unfortunately in most countries the termination "threshold" is unknown.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/04/articles/disease/cruise-lines-continue-to-misrepresent-number-of-positive-covid-19-cases-during-cruises-outside-of-the-u-s/

19 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

We've had numerous car accidents and plane crashes but we don't stop building cars or airplanes.

A very poor analogy to cruising.  You can find numerous examples where unsafe products were taken off the market or outright banned by government action.  Cruising was halted until safe protocols could be established and implemented.

2 minutes ago, Até said:

You can find numerous examples where unsafe products were taken off the market or outright banned by government action. 

Agreed, on a case-by-case basis, but it's not like the entire automobile industry was shut down when the Ford Pinto exploded.

3 minutes ago, Até said:

Cruising was halted until safe protocols could be established and implemented.

Exactly. Well, sort of. I think the CDC dragged its feet and in some instances demanded ridiculous things from the industry that they've since gotten rid of. But yes, safe protocols have been established and are being implemented right now.

Have a nice evening, Até. I have to sign off now. Nice chatting with you. ☺️

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

don't blame you one bit for your decision, it's your call whether or not to cruise with MSC based on their plans not to require vaccinations. I have a different view, which is that as a fully vaccinated person, 

Given the size of the ships and the facilities that are devoted to those who are under the current age for receiving the vaccines and the families that might want to cruise, but have such children in their household, the change in the requirements for vaccinations that have been made in recent days by RCI and MSC does make economic sense, for them.  As a potential future guest on any of these companies ships' in the near future, my choices have been reduced.  

58 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

No.

I thought about cancelling mine....

This is what the policy states "a 89 – 61 days to departure Deposit non-refundable"

Does this mean as long as I cancel 90 days or more before then I will get my deposit returned also?

Edited by kilkoyne

14 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

This is what the policy states "a 89 – 61 days to departure Deposit non-refundable"

Does this mean as long as I cancel 90 days or more before then I will get my deposit returned also?

The US terms varied a bit but in general that time frame is for cruises 5 to 14 nights and not for a Yacht Club cabin. If that is the wording for your booking then yes, 90 days or more before departure you can get a full refund, including the deposit.  On day 89 the deposit becomes non-refundable.  There may be some variation based on your booking date, often your specific cancellation policy is at the bottom of your Booking Confirmation that was emailed to you.  The current Terms are attached below, see section 12.

Booking-Terms-and-Conditions.pdf

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Até said:

The US terms varied a bit but in general that time frame is for cruises 5 to 14 nights and not for a Yacht Club cabin. If that is the wording for your booking then yes, 90 days or more before departure you can get a full refund, including the deposit.  On day 89 the deposit becomes non-refundable.  There may be some variation based on your booking date, often your specific cancellation policy is at the bottom of your Booking Confirmation that was emailed to you.  The current Terms are attached below, see section 12.

Booking-Terms-and-Conditions.pdf 302.33 kB · 0 downloads

Looks like I still have a couple of weeks to decide. I don't care about unvaxx passengers  but I am concerned about restrictions. Thank you

Edited by kilkoyne

16 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

I thought about cancelling mine....

Different situation.

I am long past final payment.

MSC cancelled my cruise so I can opt for a full refund.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 1:48 PM, Geobugs said:

I am glad to hear this.  Last Friday, I booked a cruise for November 2021 on the Meraviglia.  The travel agent and the cruise line never mentioned a vaccine requirement either.  It must be because of the test cruises.  They never asked about my status.  I am un-vaccinated.  I look forward to an awesome cruise.

Sounds like you are OK with wearing a mask when in public areas. You may not be allowed off ship at ports. 
if you do not intend to wear a mask when out of your cabin, I hope you are not on our cruise.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

Indeed! We are on the same cruise. I have no problem with wearing a mask if required by MSC. 

I have no problem remaining on the ship at ports, if the port requires the vaccine. 

I don't believe a mask is necessary in certain areas such as while eating, around the pool, etc.

I am not sick and don't have Covid, so what is the purpose of the mask?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Geobugs said:

I have no problem remaining on the ship at ports, if the port requires the vaccine. 

Better check your itinerary.

If a port requires a vaccine, you will not be allowed to embark at the start of the cruise without "voluntarily" providing proof of vaccination or the necessary visa for non-vaccinated visitors if at a Bahamian  port of call (i.e.; Ocean Cay or Nassau).