LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

11 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Trying to recall...Golden Circle stops all had visitor centers/bathrooms.  Northern Treasures - the rest room facilities at the Myvatn lava castles and the craters were in larger buildings so could have souvenirs.  Vok Baths had basically their bathing products.  Dynjandi waterfall nothing.  Skalanes nothing.  Glacial Lake nothing.  

Seydisfjordur had a shop that sold souvenirs and beautiful hand knit items.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

What's possibly rude about tipping (unless the amount is so low that it would insult)? Which countries?

In certain cultures (Japan is a prime example) tipping is considered rude because you are essentially bribing them to do the job that they are supposed to. Some cultures feel it makes them feel like servants. Others see no need for tipping because everyone is paid a decent wage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

What's possibly rude about tipping (unless the amount is so low that it would insult)? Which countries?

Two countries that I have visited that come to mind are China & Japan

• Thanks 1

I disagree with the post about guides expecting tips, at least on Viking excursions. They stand outside the coach but I felt it was more to answer questions, etc.

I can't help with shopping info on excursions because I didn't do much. But in general there were some opportunities.

My cruise is over and I'm now in KEF airport after leaving Jupiter very very early. Weather is beautiful. Airport is crowded with lines. They're very thorough. Try to do your "attestation" for airport departure online on Viking.  Know what you liked best in Iceland, take out any tablets and laptops for security, etc. Left ship very, very early. 24 hour room service came in handy. Airport crowded with lines beginning to get long at 6:30 AM, but food available and people very helpful. Lots of walking to Delta gate or ask for wheelchair if need. Beautiful bathrooms downstairs from Delta gate 15 available by stairs or elevator. Check 24 hours pre flight with Delta to see if any upgrades from economy to biz class are available.

• Like 3

In general, there were decent bathroom stops, though at one or two places no food or shopping, and some waiting. But there were no 2 hour drives without a stop on the two 7 to 8 hour excursions we took. Buses had bathrooms too, but more for ER. All buses we rode on for excursions, except to or from airport, had mid bus door too.

Currently on the Viking Sky.  We can only do ships excursions.  No independent wandering allowed.  It appears a few people may have broken the rules yesterday as we got an announcement this morning reminding us that we must stay with our excursions.  Masks required on board.  They pick up the PCR tests every morning. Regardless - it has been an awesome trip after so much time of no real travel 

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Two countries that I have visited that come to mind are China & Japan

We did independent touring in Japan but the guides certainly accepted tips in China when we were there in 1985.  Maybe things have changed.

55 minutes ago, DAVE & PAT said:

Just read that Iceland has been raised to a level 4  DO NOT TRAVEL status. This significantly changes the conditions of travel. Will Viking cancel remaining cruises?

This "Do not Travel"recommendation may be referring to Icelanders traveling abroad not tourists visiting Iceland

13 minutes ago, C-sea said:

This "Do not Travel"recommendation may be referring to Icelanders traveling abroad not tourists visiting Iceland

The CDC came out this morning with the escalation to Level 4: Very High saying to avoid travel to Iceland.  I'm waiting to see what Viking's response to this will be.

13 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

What's possibly rude about tipping (unless the amount is so low that it would insult)? Which 

In some cultures tipping equates to being a servant and is insulting.  In other cultures providing a service or information about their country is an honor not something for which an extra payment is anticipated.  Sometimes the standard of living is high and wages very good.  Tipping asumes the person is a low wage earner and cannot support themselves.  Tipping is not always seen as pleasure for a job well done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Bathrooms sometimes have a combined hand washing and drying operation. I'll try to attach picture. Put hands in middle, wash, then put hands under sides to dry. In airport there are instructions.20210810_074131.thumb.jpg.4d37e4f663bc899f1e7565c213e1c429.jpg

LOL.  Before you use the drying feature be sure the water and soap has drained from the sink or else you and the mirror will be splattered with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, KAP1998 said:

The CDC came out this morning with the escalation to Level 4: Very High saying to avoid travel to Iceland.  I'm waiting to see what Viking's response to this will be.

Please post if you learn anything new. We can still cancel for a couple of more weeks @ still get a voucher

2 minutes ago, Ballerina Sweetie Pie said:

Please post if you learn anything new. We can still cancel for a couple of more weeks @ still get a voucher

I already talked to someone at Viking and they have no info yet.  We're supposed to sail in 7 days, so I have no idea what we're going to do.  Trying to remain patient, but getting nervous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KAP1998 said:

I already talked to someone at Viking and they have no info yet.  We're supposed to sail in 7 days, so I have no idea what we're going to do.  Trying to remain patient, but getting nervous.

I don't think Viking cancels based on the CDC warnings as they are ever changing and do not prevent anyone from traveling.  Viking will just tighten up their Covid19 P&P as they have already done by banning independent excursions and exploration and warning people to not stray from the group.  Their Covid19 P&P document warns of more drastic consequences for non-compliance.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I don't think Viking cancels based on the CDC warnings as they are ever changing and do not prevent anyone from traveling.  Viking will just tighten up their Covid19 P&P as they have already done by banning independent excursions and exploration and warning people to not stray from the group.  Their Covid19 P&P document warns of more drastic consequences for non-compliance.

To the best of my knowledge the CDC has nothing to do with Iceland.  They make their own policies and decisions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KAP1998 said:

Another question:  Will a travel insurance company accept claims from policy holders who travel to a country that is under a Level 4 designation? In other words, if your government health agency recommends no travel, is your travel policy still in effect?

1 hour ago, C-sea said:

The status 4 level is put out by  the CDC which most likely is warning US citizens about travel. 

There still seems to be a huge disconnect between Viking and Iceland's response to a person who has had close contact with a person with covid.  Iceland puts people in a quarantine hotel for over a week. Viking just sends people to they room for a test.  If Viking started following Iceland's rules, it could be trouble for some passengers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snit13 said:

We did independent touring in Japan but the guides certainly accepted tips in China when we were there in 1985.  Maybe things have changed.

I'll refer you to TayanaLorna's response in post # 2388. Even when going against local customs, very few will decline the money.

I can also provide an example from personal experience, from my much younger days.

Back in the 70's, when I lived in St Andrews, we had many tourists playing the Old Course and since golf carts were not permitted and trolleys highly restricted, many golfers hired a local caddy to carry their bag around the course. As teenagers, this was a major source of income.

We were well paid considering we could easily complete 2 rounds per day. Since we also played the course and knew it well, if we provided local knowledge assistance, a small tip was generally provided by British golfers, and it was greatly appreciated. However, many golfers from the US would provide substantial tips for just carrying their bag. Did we refuse the money - No.

However, since they didn't follow local customs, we didn't have much respect and they may have been a topic of discussion at the 19th hole.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, izmackar said:

Another question:  Will a travel insurance company accept claims from policy holders who travel to a country that is under a Level 4 designation? In other words, if your government health agency recommends no travel, is your travel policy still in effect?

It is best to check with your carrier. However, the US CDC recommendations and warnings are not a ban on traveling and they may never be.  Furthermore, they warn unvaccinated travelers not to travel and caution vaccinated travelers. The only way a country could ban your travels is by preventing your repatriation when you wish to return.  That would certainly make one reconsider a trip.  

• Like 1