Is Viking Cancelling Cruises?

QueenofEverything

Viking's website shows a concerning pattern of "sold out" cruises that were not there a few days ago.  Certain days, ships going both directions on several itineraries are showing sold out.  For instance, on the Rhine Getaway in December, all Friday and Saturday sailings in both directions are suddenly sold out.  In earlier months, the dates change, but always the same day of the week, i.e. the same ship.  This looks to me like a lot of cruises that they have been taking reservations for and collecting payment for may be cancelled.  Thoughts?

46 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Viking's website shows a concerning pattern of "sold out" cruises that were not there a few days ago.  Certain days, ships going both directions on several itineraries are showing sold out.  For instance, on the Rhine Getaway in December, all Friday and Saturday sailings in both directions are suddenly sold out.  In earlier months, the dates change, but always the same day of the week, i.e. the same ship.  This looks to me like a lot of cruises that they have been taking reservations for and collecting payment for may be cancelled.  Thoughts?

They are doing what all the other lines seem to be doing; consolidating their cruises. There isn't enough demand for all the originally scheduled sailings, so they are taking certain ships out of the rotation, and moving passengers to another ship likely a few days from the original sailing date.

It sounds to me as if they may be sailing with a reduced fleet, meaning not all ships on the Rhine will go back into operation this year. No idea about other rivers. If they have for example four pairs of ships for the Rhine Getaway, they may only sail with three pairs. Which means that some passengers will change ship and date. That is one scenario and pure speculation. Could all be perfectly benign, may not be. But a pattern is there that is certainly deliberate.

Note that for the Rhine and some other itineraries it is intentional that Viking starts with two ships on the same date at the ends of the itinerary to meet in the middle for a ship swap if necessary, it is a "ship pair".

Are you booked on an itinerary?

notamermaid

30 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Note that for the Rhine and some other itineraries it is intentional that Viking starts with two ships on the same date at the ends of the itinerary to meet in the middle for a ship swap if necessary, it is a "ship pair".

I’m going to be nit-picky about this. Unless the low water area is more-or-less in the middle of the route, this practice doesn’t enable ship swaps. The fact that Viking has so many ships on a route means that when they hit low water there is very likely another ship nearby going in the opposite direction. 😀

Alright, I did mean to be precise, but you prefer to very precise, so of course you are correct :classic_smile:. I said on the Rhine (where it is in the middle) and meant to imply with other itineraries some on the Danube (where a section is almost in the middle). It could be true for the Main and I think they intend it also for the Elbe. It may or may not work in France - could just be a ship nearby.

It is of course for low water scenarios, I did not say that explicitly. It is good to have several ships running also for flooding, but the idea of meet in the middle is less likely to work.

Just in case someone is wondering: low water does not normally happen in December on the Rhine.

notamermaid

We are booked on the Viking Kari Aug 25th Paris to Normandy sail. Last week it showed all Kari sailings booked thru season. As of yesterday Kari disappeared off web sight for 2021.I now cannot get into my Viking account as it says it is being updated. Also my flight went from ticketed to pending. I am expecting an email any time that my trip is canceled or moved to another ship.

20 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Yes, we are booked on the Mani, Basel to Amsterdam December 3rd.  It is one of the sailings that is affected.  

Oh, sorry to read that. I hope you get an answer from Viking very soon. And I hope it is a good answer for you.

notamermaid

We are on the Embla 11-22 which is in the same situation.  I called Viking last week and was given a very weak answer that its sold out to moving folks from the Prestige (we were originally booked on Prestige and then in August last year moved to the Embla as Prestige taken out of service). I then e-mailed Tell us at Viking, had a very pleasant conversation and she sd she would e-mail operations.  She called next day and said no operations said it is sailing.  I argued a bit, but nobody knows anything--maybe upper Management.  As of today I can still access MY Viking, but I expect that to change.  Everybody please keep reporting.  Thanks,

Got the email from Viking on our Aug 25th, 2021 Paris to Normandy. Changed to Aug 29. They offered a $250 per person onboard credit for the inconvenience. Also they sent a new flight itinerary for us. It worked out for us. Hopefully they let everyone know soon.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, angela miller said:

Got the email from Viking on our Aug 25th, 2021 Paris to Normandy. Changed to Aug 29. They offered a $250 per person onboard credit for the inconvenience. Also they sent a new flight itinerary for us. It worked out for us. Hopefully they let everyone know soon.

I see they are doing all August now, will take a bit to get to November, but this is kind of last minute for you.  If we were changed by several days it would impact all our before and after cruise hotels, that would take a bit of work on our part to change all the dates, especially last minute. Thanks for the update!

• 1 month later...

Ok as I predicted, all sold out cruises have been dropped from Viking as of this morning.  My Danube Waltz on 11-22-21 on the Embla is gone and my Viking Journey is locked.  I am sure I will get the dreaded e-mail today or tomorrow.  

I just pulled my Viking folder and on 6-25 (a month ago I was rudely dismissed by a Viking rep).

However, as a business decision, it was the right move---just not done in a customer friendly way.

Viking changed us to a different date without asking us.  On 7/15 I got an email that said our cruise was going as scheduled.  It was to be on the Alruna from Basel to Amst. on 9/4 - but the header of the email said 9/3 on the Eir.  We had been locked out of MVJ for several days prior to this.  Later on 7/15 we got an apology email stating they made an error and that we would indeed be on the 9/3 cruise - in a different stateroom and our prebooked excursions were gone as well.  Two of them could not be rebooked at this late date.  We are fortunate that we can accept the date change, but it has cost quite a bit more to change hotel ressies - and our TA is still struggling to get thru to their air dept to get us acceptable flights - she has been trying for a week! (We paid for Air+)  I am really unhappy with Viking.  This is no way to keep customers happy.  This is our fourth attempt at this cruise!  Fingers crossed we get to go on this one.  But to all who are waiting - be prepared to make changes to your plans at the last minute.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Roz said:

@rcaruso, sorry your cruise is cancelled.  You kind of knew it was coming, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing. 

I'm not  disappointed, just a bit disappointed in Viking's communications of a loyal 9 cruises and two more upcoming customer. I still have not received their e-mail, I expect it will be in a day or two, so I will have to work with it and figure out how to shift the two weeks worth of hotel rooms and the Avalon cruise on Dec. 9.  Just more work for me!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rcaruso said:

I'm not  disappointed, just a bit disappointed in Viking's communications of a loyal 9 cruises and two more upcoming customer. I still have not received their e-mail, I expect it will be in a day or two, so I will have to work with it and figure out how to shift the two weeks worth of hotel rooms and the Avalon cruise on Dec. 9.  Just more work for me!

The lack of communication is extremely disappointing!  My TA had called them two days prior to the rescheduling to ask why we were locked out of our MVJ acct & she was told they were just "doing maintenance" on their systems and everything was fine!!  They try to make it better by giving us $250 PP OBC, but after the cancellation of prepaid excursions, we had a pile of OBC and NOTHING to spend it on.  Plus the refunds went on as a voucher which had to be used before we boarded!!  They've  had our money since 2019....  I know a lot of this was not their fault and up till now I have been very pleased with how they were handling things, but this is just biting the hands that feed them!

Fingers crossed that it will all work out in the end.

• Like 1