Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

As of day 1 over 90% of passengers seem to be wearing masks correctly.

The notices you included don't appear to mention masking.  Are you saying masks are being required on this Australian voyage?  I found this under FAQ's for Australia cruising:

From February 16, the requirement for all guests and crew to wear masks in all indoor settings for voyages 10 nights or longer has been relaxed, and is no longer mandatory. Some guests and crew members may still choose to wear masks voluntarily, and is not a negative reflection on them. Masking requirements may change at any time, so we ask for flexibility from our guests. Guests are advised to check with Guest Services if they have any concerns.

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The notices you included don't appear to mention masking.  Are you saying masks are being required on this Australian voyage?  

This was waiting for us in our cabin:

image.thumb.jpeg.b972e70f7ba0b4713c5e680340ee278b.jpeg

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Not the sort of memo I'd want to be surprised with upon boarding.  I know this happened a lot previously, but would think it (required for all) to be a thing of the past.  Perhaps it was more of a likely event sailing out of Australia (have not been checking up on that region lately at all).

8 hours ago, capriccio said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b972e70f7ba0b4713c5e680340ee278b.jpeg

How is the weather? They're going into their Fall season, correct? Temperatures cooling down a bit and not so blistering hot? How is the MedallionApp working? Do you mind my asking if you happened to purchase Princess Plus or Princess Premier? If either, could you talk about the "specialty desserts" offered? Are those at International Cafe? Or I've heard on some ships it's at the buffet, or at Swirls. The way it is advertised is getting some mixed reviews on the real experience of it.

6 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

How is the weather? They're going into their Fall season, correct? Temperatures cooling down a bit and not so blistering hot? How is the MedallionApp working? Do you mind my asking if you happened to purchase Princess Plus or Princess Premier? If either, could you talk about the "specialty desserts" offered? Are those at International Cafe? Or I've heard on some ships it's at the buffet, or at Swirls. The way it is advertised is getting some mixed reviews on the real experience of it.

Weather:  Yes fall has begun.  We are expecting a lovely day in Melbourne today with highs in the upper 70s.  Sydney had similar weather 2 weeks ago (we were on the South Island of New Zealand last week where they had the first snowfall of the season on the higher mountains).  Embarkation day in Sydney was wet and dreary but not cold.

Medallion App:  this is our 3rd post Covid cruise and the only issue I’ve had was remembering how to switch internet access from one device to another since I have the single device access with the Plus package.  My faulty memory came through just before I was going to go to the ocean desk for assistance. We ordered room service for lunch yesterday and it (soup and a cheese plate plus juice) arrived in less than 10 minutes.

The only experience I have with specialty desserts is when walking by Swirls my DH, who is an ice cream junkie, saw a passenger carrying a large ice cream sundae concoction.  He checked the price list and decided that $18AUD was too pricey.

Later today after we return from a 4 hour e-bike tour of Melbourne, I will post on the DMW thread about my experience with specialty restaurant reservations made 2 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Later today after we return from a 4 hour e-bike tour of Melbourne

We would be interested in a review of this excursion. Was it booked privately or through Princess?

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We would be interested in a review of this excursion. Was it booked privately or through Princess?

We booked it privately.  Please keep your fingers crossed that it actually happens!

I hadn’t opened the drapes (it was about 6:50 am when I was posting) and at 7 am the captain came on the public address system in our cabins apologizing for the early hour and his announcement:  we made it to the port channel when heavy fog occurred.  We have the pilot on board and are in a position, operating on thrusters not at anchorage, outside the channel hoping for the fog to lift.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We booked it privately.

If you don't mind could you share a link to this excursion? We'd like to check it out. I can't walk all that far anymore so an e-bike tour sounds intriguing. This October/November we're booked for a B2B2B out of Melbourne and each segment returns there.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

If you don't mind could you share a link to this excursion? We'd like to check it out. I can't walk all that far anymore so an e-bike tour sounds intriguing. This October/November we're booked for a B2B2B out of Melbourne and each segment returns there.

Will do!  The skies have cleared and we are docking now.  I’ll get back to you this afternoon.  In a couple of days we will be doing an e-bike excursion on Kangaroo Island.  If that is on your itinerary I’ll let you know how it goes too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

Weather:  Yes fall has begun.  We are expecting a lovely day in Melbourne today with highs in the upper 70s.  Sydney had similar weather 2 weeks ago (we were on the South Island of New Zealand last week where they had the first snowfall of the season on the higher mountains).  Embarkation day in Sydney was wet and dreary but not cold.

Medallion App:  this is our 3rd post Covid cruise and the only issue I’ve had was remembering how to switch internet access from one device to another since I have the single device access with the Plus package.  My faulty memory came through just before I was going to go to the ocean desk for assistance. We ordered room service for lunch yesterday and it (soup and a cheese plate plus juice) arrived in less than 10 minutes.

The only experience I have with specialty desserts is when walking by Swirls my DH, who is an ice cream junkie, saw a passenger carrying a large ice cream sundae concoction.  He checked the price list and decided that $18AUD was too pricey.

Later today after we return from a 4 hour e-bike tour of Melbourne, I will post on the DMW thread about my experience with specialty restaurant reservations made 2 years ago.

With the Princess Plus package you should be entitled to freebie two (2) specialty desserts along with these other goodies:

PRINCESS PLUS

• Princess dining, accommodations and entertainment
  • MedallionClass experience
  • Plus Beverage Package (drinks up to $15 each, includes unlimited juice bar)
  • Wi-Fi (1 device per guest)
  • Crew appreciation
  • Premium desserts (2 per day)
  • Fitness classes (2 per cruise)

I emphasize "should" because I don't know when you purchased your cruise and what the promos were at the time....but the program went into effect sometime in February.

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Will do!  The skies have cleared and we are docking now.  I’ll get back to you this afternoon.  In a couple of days we will be doing an e-bike excursion on Kangaroo Island.  If that is on your itinerary I’ll let you know how it goes too.

I am going to Kangaroo Island October 25, 2023 and would also be interested in this information.

4 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

With the Princess Plus package you should be entitled to freebie two (2) specialty desserts along with these other goodies:

PRINCESS PLUS

• Princess dining, accommodations and entertainment
  • MedallionClass experience
  • Plus Beverage Package (drinks up to $15 each, includes unlimited juice bar)
  • Wi-Fi (1 device per guest)
  • Crew appreciation
  • Premium desserts (2 per day)
  • Fitness classes (2 per cruise)

I emphasize "should" because I don't know when you purchased your cruise and what the promos were at the time....but the program went into effect sometime in February.

When we booked this cruise 2 years ago the Princess Plus package was $40 per person per day and that has been honored.  The price for bookings went up to $50 last year with no changes in the included goodies if I remember correctly. The most recent increase to $60  in February added the new goodies for new bookings only.  On the medallion app under packages it shows (remember pricing is in AUD).  Just what I was expecting.

image.thumb.png.43600595f90c8755fbe6dd73d46512d8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

The weather cleared and was gorgeous for visiting Melbourne.  Our 4 hour excursion was with Blue Tongue Bike Rentals (https://bluetonguebikes.com.au/e-bike-tour-of-melbourne/).  It is 1/2 block away from tram 109 (which begins right outside the port) stop so very convenient. The bikes were fine but I did complain afterwards that my brakes felt squishy to begin with and on the very infrequent downhill rides when braking it sounded like metal on metal. 

The ride was a combination of street bike lanes, wide esplanades, and park paths.  I was surprised at how crowded the pedestrian areas were on a workday.

Our guide, Matt, was excellent.  He knows his history, was very personable, took us to a nice restaurant for an excellent and relatively cheap lunch, and didn’t lose any of his 10 bikers.  

I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, capriccio said:

When we booked this cruise 2 years ago the Princess Plus package was $40 per person per day and that has been honored.  The price for bookings went up to $50 last year with no changes in the included goodies if I remember correctly. The most recent increase to $60  in February added the new goodies for new bookings only.  On the medallion app under packages it shows (remember pricing is in AUD).  Just what I was expecting.

image.thumb.png.43600595f90c8755fbe6dd73d46512d8.png

Thanks for that historical explanation....I guess they really don't give anything away for free!!!!

9 hours ago, capriccio said:

The weather cleared and was gorgeous for visiting Melbourne.  Our 4 hour excursion was with Blue Tongue Bike Rentals (https://bluetonguebikes.com.au/e-bike-tour-of-melbourne/).  It is 1/2 block away from tram 109 (which begins right outside the port) stop so very convenient. The bikes were fine but I did complain afterwards that my brakes felt squishy to begin with and on the very infrequent downhill rides when braking it sounded like metal on metal. 

The ride was a combination of street bike lanes, wide esplanades, and park paths.  I was surprised at how crowded the pedestrian areas were on a workday.

Our guide, Matt, was excellent.  He knows his history, was very personable, took us to a nice restaurant for an excellent and relatively cheap lunch, and didn’t lose any of his 10 bikers.  

I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Thank you for this information...but just my luck--there are no bookings available October 23rd when I am in port at Melbourne. But....I'm still in port at Melbourne!!! 🥳  YIPPY!!!! 🤠

For UK users IMO the Medallion App isn't worth having on the phone.  I know they promote it as the best recent innovation but it isn't. 

First time we used it having completed all the required information the crew devices couldn't read it on my phone so everytime I wanted on or off the ship it was basically a check of the photo they had (supplied by me), and not the App, they used.  The idea that you could order a drink to where you were sitting was a nice thought but that's all it was for me a thought as I never got a drink delivered and it only happened 4 times for my brother on a 14 day cruise.  I spent a number of hours in queue for the people who knew how to sort out the App.  When the medallion stopped letting me into the room they said I had to go to guest services and get a new medallion so that was probably a medallion issue rather than the App.

Now waiting for the next cruise to start.  All information is completed so we went from blue to green arrival status until this morning when I was told I was now yellow arrival status.  Checking what that meant it said most waiting time and needed a secondary health check.  I have all the COVID vaccinations available and have declared I am a diabetic so why the secondary health check.  I cannot be the only diabetic on the ship travelling.  Maybe Princess should get new IT people as the App is not worked effectively - I even got a newer iPhone in case that was the issue but it is not the case.  Goes without saying that I am already expecting the next cruise to be like the last one

1 hour ago, dbeckett said:

For UK users IMO the Medallion App isn't worth having on the phone.  I know they promote it as the best recent innovation but it isn't. 

First time we used it having completed all the required information the crew devices couldn't read it on my phone so everytime I wanted on or off the ship it was basically a check of the photo they had (supplied by me), and not the App, they used.  The idea that you could order a drink to where you were sitting was a nice thought but that's all it was for me a thought as I never got a drink delivered and it only happened 4 times for my brother on a 14 day cruise.  I spent a number of hours in queue for the people who knew how to sort out the App.  When the medallion stopped letting me into the room they said I had to go to guest services and get a new medallion so that was probably a medallion issue rather than the App.

Now waiting for the next cruise to start.  All information is completed so we went from blue to green arrival status until this morning when I was told I was now yellow arrival status.  Checking what that meant it said most waiting time and needed a secondary health check.  I have all the COVID vaccinations available and have declared I am a diabetic so why the secondary health check.  I cannot be the only diabetic on the ship travelling.  Maybe Princess should get new IT people as the App is not worked effectively - I even got a newer iPhone in case that was the issue but it is not the case.  Goes without saying that I am already expecting the next cruise to be like the last one

Just to counter the above, we have had no problems with the app.

First of all no need to worry about the arrival status. Check in staff just need to see your passport.

I'm confused about why you needed your phone to get on and off the ship. The Medallion is all that is required. And you don't even have to supply a photo - the check in staff will take one of you at Southampton.

We don't use a phone at all once we are on board. We either order drinks from the bar or from a passing waiter.

For some reason you seem to be getting obssessed with your phone, when in fact you simply don't need it.

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Why UK users? What difference does it make as to which country you are from - it is the same app worldwide.

True but #5091 made specific mention to the UK.  I was responding to that post.

4 hours ago, david63 said:

Why UK users? What difference does it make as to which country you are from - it is the same app worldwide.

Although the app is the same, some rules for how the data is handled may change on a country/regional basis.

not saying that’s the case here, but I wouldn’t assume because the app is the same, the experience would be the same.

(I’ve been a technical Product Manager for international companies for 20+ years, and I’ve always seen instances of differentiation in apps and processes).

12 hours ago, dbeckett said:

First time we used it having completed all the required information the crew devices couldn't read it on my phone so everytime I wanted on or off the ship it was basically a check of the photo they had (supplied by me), and not the App, they used.

??????

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm confused about why you needed your phone to get on and off the ship. The Medallion is all that is required. And you don't even have to supply a photo - the check in staff will take one of you at Southampton.

We don't use a phone at all once we are on board. We either order drinks from the bar or from a passing waiter.

For some reason you seem to be getting obssessed with your phone, when in fact you simply don't need it.

Definitely agree with @wowzz regarding getting on and off of the ship. I have no idea why someone would think they needed their phone or the app to do this as it is solely a function of the physical medallion. Very confusing...

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 12:48 PM, david63 said:

Been away from computers and only getting a chance to review - reason why I said it was for UK users  is that Princess do not treat UK cruisers like North American cruisers.  When I returned to the UK from Canada and continued cruising with Princess there are obvious differences between the 2.