Why Bother with HAL?

prescottbob

Even if I had enough commas between the figures preceding the decimal point in my bank account, I would have zero interest in such a concept.  As I do with The World.  A land based homeowners association costs enough with unexpected bills at times.  Imagine what surprises a floating type association would provide.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Even if I had enough commas between the figures preceding the decimal point in my bank account, I would have zero interest in such a concept.  As I do with The World.  A land based homeowners association costs enough with unexpected bills at times.  Imagine what surprises a floating type association would provide.  

I saw where the condo owners of the collapsed Surfside building were facing huge assessments: "Owners would have to pay assessments ranging from $80,190 for one-bedroom units to $336,135..."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/28/us/surfside-condo-owners-assessments-invs/index.html

I will never own a condo, will never be involved with a homeowner's association.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, whogo said:

I will never own a condo, will never be involved with a homeowner's association.

That's a very strong statement by you, but, at this point in time, as the President of my Homeowner's Association, I understand why you would make such a statement.  

Homeowner associations are only as effective as the members of them wish for them to be.  Electing people to the officer positions who lack qualifications for such duties is the start of "asking for trouble".  A homeowner's association deciding to be "self-managed" compounds the potential problems, in my opinion.  (There has been no news as far as I know if a management company was or was not involved in this condo building.)  

Having to make "special assessments" in my Association, they are not well received.  But, those were done because they HAD to be done to preserve the integrity of our property and keep us financially afloat.  

When my Board receives reports from our management company that "x" needs to be done and it needs to be done "sooner than later", we act upon it as soon as we can.  Sometimes, the project's cost exceeds our current budget and would drain our reserve fund more negatively than we think is wise.  Thus, we choose to spread the project out over 2-3-4 years.  By doing so, we have been able to avoid most special assessments. 

whogo, I can tell you without any hesitation in my 39th year of being on our Board of Trustees, there are people who should NEVER consider living in a condo.  It's a lifestyle that is totally different from one if one has been the owner of a single family home.  Some folks make the transition OK.  Some don't.  And, if one owns a single family home who has a neighbor from h#$L, such a neighbor is likely also to reside in one's condo community.   

• Like 4