Confusing vacc requirements in various ports

PRNole47

Booked on a Budapest-Nuremberg cruise in August, I looked up vacc requirements for entry into Hungary and found this:

2000056975_HungaryCovidtravelrestrix.thumb.JPG.f13e1b5e465030aa6ca7438e3d18294b.JPG

And under the highlighted link...2000056975_HungaryCovidtravelrestrix.thumb.JPG.f13e1b5e465030aa6ca7438e3d18294b.JPG

Travel restrictions -- Entry restricted for international travelers   See Details >

I found this:

* Most travelers arriving from United States (see 221 additional countries) are not allowed to enter Hungary.

The travel restrictions do not apply to: -

Hungarian citizens and permanent residents;

Close family members of citizens or residents;

Valid Hungarian resident permit holders where the permit was issued for a stay of more than 90 days;

Military and diplomats;

Transit passengers;

Foreign nationals entering Hungary for business purposes, and representatives of foreign companies with a stake in Hungary may enter the country without restrictions.

Source:  Travel Restrictions for Hungary (joinsherpa.com)

So, given that Avalon Waterways cruise passengers do not have their own carved out exemption, where do we fit in that allows us to enter Hungary, presumably at Budapest, and proceed to our cruise without any difficulty ? 

image.png

• Like 1

I’m seeing the same thing for Germany on the same website. I think that the European changes are expected to begin in July. Despite the fact that you put in dates I don’t think it takes them into account. 

I will, however, point out that your vaccination status might make a difference. 

• Like 1

This is what is bothering me about restarting cruising in general.  The cruise lines and airlines have their rules, the county where you enter has its rules, as do the countries you're cruising through.  Then there are rules for getting back into the US or Canada.  

I'm scheduled to take a Yuletide cruise thru the Netherlands and Belgium in early December.  Nothing I've received from Tauck about their 2021 restart mentions anything about Christmas market cruises, and I wonder if there are no Christmas markets, will those cruises be cancelled?

Rules in Europe keep changing, so @PRNole47, I share your frustration.  Even for vaccinated passengers, some countries are specific about what vaccines they'll accept, so you still may not be able to enter.

19 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I’m seeing the same thing for Germany on the same website. I think that the European changes are expected to begin in July. Despite the fact that you put in dates I don’t think it takes them into account. 

I will, however, point out that your vaccination status might make a difference. 

I saw this notice just now on a link sent to me by the German Consulate in LA. Ought to provide some comfort. 

German Consulate LA 2.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gnome12 said:

...and got this other one from another office at the German Consulate in LA:

German Consulate LA 3.JPG

I really like the Wunderbar Together, what a lovely logo and slogan. :classic_smile:

It is all really confusing. But from tomorrow things should be a little clearer. For US passengers it should normally be straightforward, but a problem may arise with the "fully vaccinated" bit if you have not had an approved vaccine. It is supposed to be the same in all EU countries (ideally), but do check how far this has got. The four approved vaccines for distribution in the EU are fine (or should be normally, check), but Sputnik V and others are not necessarily accepted under the "fully vaccinated" requirement in all countries (yet). And do check if the river cruise company follows those regulations or accepts any vaccine.

notamermaid

46 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

For US passengers it should normally be straightforward, but a problem may arise with the "fully vaccinated" bit if you have not had an approved vaccine.

Shouldn´t be a problem at all as FDA approved vaccines are Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson which are also approved by ECDC in Europe. AstraZeneca is not approved in the US.

I don´t think it´s really confusing... If you are fully vaccinated you´re fine. Maybe the airline might ask for a test before flying.

steamboats 

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I really like the Wunderbar Together, what a lovely logo and slogan. :classic_smile:

It is very nice! 

Now, if Audi will only restart its European Delivery program, that would be truly wunderbar! I have my eye on an RS5 to match Chris's but we might have to just pick it up here in the States.

24 minutes ago, steamboats said:

I don´t think it´s really confusing...

No, not for the standard US citizen and Canadians should be fine as well. A problem could arise if you bring "your Cuban friend" (neutral comment) or somebody. But a test should to the trick.

26 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Shouldn´t be a problem at all as FDA approved vaccines are Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson which are also approved by ECDC in Europe. AstraZeneca is not approved in the US.

Yes, the four approved by the ECDC, not sure what happens tomorrow with Sputnik V and the others... And Switzerland (for Rhine river cruises) and Serbia (for Danube river cruises) are not part of ECDC, i.e. the EU. If in doubt, check.

notamermaid

14 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It is very nice! 

Now, if Audi will only restart its European Delivery program, that would be truly wunderbar! I have my eye on an RS5 to match Chris's but we might have to just pick it up here in the States.

That topic needs further coverage at the River Cruising Water Cooler, for sure!

notamermaid

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Ihe four approved vaccines for distribution in the EU are fine (or should be normally, check), but Sputnik V and others are not necessarily accepted under the "fully vaccinated" requirement in all countries (yet). And do check if the river cruise company follows those regulations or accepts any vaccine.

notamermaid

Thanks! I checked and my vaccine was not Sputnik V.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:33 AM, Roz said:

This is what is bothering me about restarting cruising in general.  The cruise lines and airlines have their rules, the county where you enter has its rules, as do the countries you're cruising through.  Then there are rules for getting back into the US or Canada.  

I'm scheduled to take a Yuletide cruise thru the Netherlands and Belgium in early December.  Nothing I've received from Tauck about their 2021 restart mentions anything about Christmas market cruises, and I wonder if there are no Christmas markets, will those cruises be cancelled?

Rules in Europe keep changing, so @PRNole47, I share your frustration.  Even for vaccinated passengers, some countries are specific about what vaccines they'll accept, so you still may not be able to enter.

You know, this thread has got me to thinking.  In October, we board a plane for Italy to take a land tour.  After that, we stay overnight in Venice, then board an ocean cruise line, ultimately disembarking in Barcelona, to fly home.  Points at which vaccination proof, and possible negative tests, might be required (and I am not even counting port stops on the ocean cruise), are: Chicago as we board plane to Italy; on arrival in Italy; on arrival in Venice for our overnight stay; on boarding the ocean ship; on disembarking in Barcelona; and on boarding the plane in Barcelona.  I am not really fretting this yet since a lot may change between now and October, but at some point I will have to dive heavily into this.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

I'm planning on going to Jordan and Egypt in Oct/Nov and for Jordan, you need a QR code.  US vaccination cards do not have this and there is no digital system to get a qR code.  I'm going to assume that I need to be tested in Jordan and Egypt.

@steamboats

Thanks for the info. Sounds very promising, the article also says that they are working on a solution with Britain. That would make stopovers from America run more smoothly.

Technical sorting out is going to last into August, they say, but that is very understandable I would say.

notamermaid

Here is some more info on the topic - you can see the problems already arising with Portugal (I have mentioned elsewhere that Germany has reintroduced tough restrictions on travel to Germany from Portugal): https://www.dw.com/en/eus-digital-covid-certificate-comes-into-effect/a-58119136

notamermaid

52 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Now, for those of us flying into Frankfurt, we need to know how to apply to a digital pass.

Actually you can´t. It´s for EU citizens only and technically only valid within EU and those countries which have joined. We still can show our vaccination booklet. It´s just that the app with the digital pass makes it easier.

When you enter the EU you need some proof of vaccination. I don´t know how this is done in Canada. I saw the paper cards in the US. I also saw cards in the UK but the NHS in the meantime has updated their app so Covid-19 vaccination is showed in the app as well. I haven´t seen anything yet about regulations regarding non EU travelers.

As AmaWaterways and Uniworld have just started their Douro river cruises there must be something for Portugal. Right now all German based river cruise lines (A-Rosa, nicko cruises) have cancelled their Douro river cruises for the next two weeks at least as we Germans can´t travel to Portugal right now without going into quarantine for 14 days when we return.

I just heard that by today the USA doesn´t let any UK citizens fly to the US anymore (even those with proper paperwork meaning those who are needed in the US to work there) because of the Delta variant. All travelers from the UK were sent back home at Heathrow airport today. Yesterday the flights were going with UK citizens.

steamboats

Bad news about the UK but the writing was on the wall. It is for Portugal in my opinion.@gnome12 for entry into Germany look here:https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/EinreiseUndAufenthalt 

Tricky bit: you cannot enter from a country with a travel ban and not even transit through Germany, I wonder if in the current situation this means you cannot enter Germany via Heathrow?

notamermaid

13 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Tricky bit: you cannot enter from a country with a travel ban and not even transit through Germany, I wonder if in the current situation this means you cannot enter Germany via Heathrow?

Not a problem, I will be flying direct. But while I have all the information about my 2 vaccinations, including almost everything required, there is no QR code or digital signature.

I checked my vaccination certificates, and I don't seem to have the Covishield version of AstraZeneca. Also, Canada is not in the same position as the US with regards to entry to the EU (as decided yesterday, but will come into effect in a few days). At least at the moment, my sister (coming from the US) and I are subject to the same rules for our September trip, which is helpful.