Canadian Cruisers

Patches353

Checking in to get a pulse from Canadians (needing to travel to the USA to embark) as to when they feel we'll be able travel and board a cruise ship.

I understand passengers need to be double vaxed (which I am).  Thanks.

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty as to which brand of vaccines are acceptable when traveling to places outside of Canada.  Unless and until the world comes to a unanimous decision about which vaccines are safe to enter their country with, there is going to be a lot of confusion and probably ill will.  New York state and Broadway specifically, decided to not let anyone who had received the Astra Zeneca vaccine buy tickets for plays.  Due to public outcry, they had a change of heart and said that Astra Zeneca was acceptable.  Heck, most of Europe has received Astra Zeneca against Covid and if no one from abroad was able to visit the US because of that rule, then the US economy would suffer greatly.  Countries are kind of feeling their way around these concepts as this is the first time that the world is dealing with this type of crisis and rules are going to keep changing until things settle down.  Even though my husband and I are double vaxxed, we would not go cruising this year mainly because I refuse to deal with the many restrictions that are now in place for cruise ships - masking, social distancing, etc.  I have followed all the rules and restrictions to a T since the beginning of the pandemic and thankfully both my husband and I have stayed healthy.  It's my own opinion that cruising this year is still risky and therefore our first cruise next year will be in Aug.  Just my own opinion.  I know that there will be folks who disagree and I wish them safe and healthy cruising.  My advice to Thechamp555 would be to check with your cruise line as you get nearer to final payment or cruising date.  Enjoy your cruise and stay well.

Barb

• Like 1

I see two separate issues here:

1. If you are flying to the US, you require a negative COVID-19 test or proof of having recovered from COVID-19 within the past three months. There is no requirement for you to be vaccinated, nor does being fully vaccinated eliminate the requirement for negative testing. Until at least July 21, you can't drive to the US for non-essential purposes, including going on a cruise.

2. Individual cruise lines make the decision on what vaccines to accept, not the US government. The current Celebrity policy is as follows:

What vaccines are accepted?

Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO) are accepted. Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's requirements or consult our guest materials prior to sailing for these requirements.  

While the hybrid AstraZeneca first shot with a Pfizer/Moderna second shot is not officially recognized by the USFDA or the WHO, there have been indications that some cruise lines will accept such combinations if they are recognized in the passengers home country. In Quebec, your are considered vaccinated after having a case of COVID-19 plus one jab, but I've no idea how widely accepted this combination might be.

OP, to answer your questions, our next booked cruise isn't until next March, but I would have no hesitation in flying to the US for a cruise at this time, given the health and safety protocols currently in place. DW and I have double Moderna jabs, so there is no issue with acceptance by any cruise line.

The only issue for you is whether or not you have a hybrid vaccination, in which case you should check with your cruise line.

Edited by Fouremco

Hybrid vaccinations are a real question. It's not just Astrazeneca & mRNA, Ontario residents with Pfizer first shot are getting Moderna as a second shot this month. 

It would be good if any one that has direct experience with a cruise line on this subject could post their experience.

Edited by broberts

We just booked a cruise in mid-August!!!  We have checked with Carnival about requirements and have confirmed that our provincial certificate for 2 doses will suffice to get on the ship.  The latest health questionnaire from CCL has removed the question asking if you have travelled internationally in the last 14 days - instead it now asks if you have travelled outside USA or CANADA!!! Meaning cruise lines are considering Canadians 'in the bubble'.  (with CCL you have to be fully vaccinated.)

Our biggest concern is about travelling to Miami - will the borders open.  We live in a border town and hope to fly from the USA - but know that if things don't change, we can still opt to fly from Canada to Miami. 

We are a little nervous, but are now pretty sure we can make this cruise (actually two back to back cruises for 14-days happen.)  It'll be interesting to see if we are the only ones getting on the Horizon for two weeks staring August 15th!? We also know there could be health plan complications from the current 'no cruise order' travel advisory (if it remains in place), so we've purchased the health coverage through Carnival to cover that risk (only $49 each).

We put together a quick video on our channel and will be updating our progress and vlogging the experience - hopefully we can be (successful) guinea pigs to show Canadians can now cruise!! Fingers crossed! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, broberts said:

Hybrid vaccinations are a real question. It's not just Astrazeneca & mRNA, Ontario residents with Pfizer first shot are getting Moderna as a second shot this month. 

It would be good if any one that has direct experience with a cruise line on this subject could post their experience.

I've been dealing direct with Carnival reps and I can confirm that Pfizer combined with Moderna IS considered fully vaccinated not only in Ontario, but with the CDC and internationally.  I received this combination and will be cruising in several weeks.

I was told by Carnival to go to this website Ontario COVID-19 vaccination service (ontariohealth.ca) and obtain my official 2nd dose (fully vaccinated) print out.  I was told specifically to get this one that has the 'watermark' that is available on this site.

Here is what mine looks like...

image.thumb.png.98d71a47ea8d1d3c66e584ee3d24aa72.png

Edited by CruisingCanucksTwo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bruce and I got similar pieces of paper right at the vaccination clinic and then by the time we got home, there were official e-mails and the confirmation form on our computer.  We have printed them up and made a couple of copies.

Barb

28 minutes ago, matamanoa said:

Bruce and I got similar pieces of paper right at the vaccination clinic and then by the time we got home, there were official e-mails and the confirmation form on our computer.  We have printed them up and made a couple of copies.

Barb

The one they emailed me did not have the watermark. 

19 hours ago, CruisingCanucksTwo said:

I've been dealing direct with Carnival reps and I can confirm that Pfizer combined with Moderna IS considered fully vaccinated not only in Ontario, but with the CDC and internationally.  I received this combination and will be cruising in several weeks.

I was told by Carnival to go to this website Ontario COVID-19 vaccination service (ontariohealth.ca) and obtain my official 2nd dose (fully vaccinated) print out.  I was told specifically to get this one that has the 'watermark' that is available on this site.

Thanks Jerry.  My original two receipts did not have the 'watermark.'  I've just printed copies of each and saved the docs for future use.

PCR test etc.  What next?  So now I have to get a PCR three days before flying out and pay $199.  I don't have a smart phone so completing the ArriveCan info is another pain in the butt.  I'm too old for all this...

Bruce and I are also wondering if by next year in Aug. when our first post pandemic cruise comes up, whether we will still have to have a 72 hour pre flight covid test.  If so, that means we would have to add some extra days on after the cruise to get the test done.  That means extra expense for hotels, the kennel where our dog will be, the test itself - so much stress and uncertainty.

Barb

13 minutes ago, matamanoa said:

Bruce and I are also wondering if by next year in Aug. when our first post pandemic cruise comes up, whether we will still have to have a 72 hour pre flight covid test.  If so, that means we would have to add some extra days on after the cruise to get the test done.  That means extra expense for hotels, the kennel where our dog will be, the test itself - so much stress and uncertainty.

Barb

I think this condition will expire well before then - possibly in weeks, and here's why...

The Canadian border could open to non-essential as soon as July 21st.  IF (big if) this happens then the testing to enter the USA would be unrealistic.  Cross-border shopping and travel couldn't happen efficiently if someone needed a test every 72 hours to cross.

I would have to think that when the border opens - the test needed to cross the border will be replaced with proof of vaccination.  Once that happens at land-crossings, then it stands to reason that it'll also be the case for flights.

That's just my opinion - but I seriously doubt that by next August there will be any COVID measures in place other than proof of vaccination. Or at least vaccination will replace the need for a test - which still could be required for those without being fully vaccination.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, matamanoa said:

BTW - the forms that we received by e-mail, confirming our vaccinations, did not have a watermark either.

Barb

See the link about to login to the Ontario site to get the ones with the watermark.  I was told by Carnival (I haven't checked with others) that this is the one needed to get on the ship.  At some point I imagine there will be some sort of vaccine passport/app (with QR code) that would replace this preliminary document.

• Like 1

Thanks CruisinCanucksTwo,

(Love your name BTW!) I, too, feel that by next year, things will have calmed down.  Countries will have come to an agreement about vaccination passports and whatever else is required to travel freely.    Personally, we wouldn't travel if we have to do a quarantine, much as we wouldn't cruise if we had to wear masks all the time, practice social distancing, be limited in what excursions we can plan for, etc.  We would rather wait until the world is in a better place and we can travel without fear of getting stuck on a ship or in a country abroad with illness all around us.  By Aug. of next year, when our cruise comes up, we will have already had our booster shots for 2023 and we can move on with peace of mind.

Barb

• Like 1

While faint, as intended with watermarks, mine are nevertheless visible. Most printers allow you to change your print density to a lighter or darker setting. Is yours set to the highest density? 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 5:04 PM, CruisingCanucksTwo said:

We just booked a cruise in mid-August!!!  We have checked with Carnival about requirements and have confirmed that our provincial certificate for 2 doses will suffice to get on the ship.  The latest health questionnaire from CCL has removed the question asking if you have travelled internationally in the last 14 days - instead it now asks if you have travelled outside USA or CANADA!!! Meaning cruise lines are considering Canadians 'in the bubble'.  (with CCL you have to be fully vaccinated.)

Our biggest concern is about travelling to Miami - will the borders open.  We live in a border town and hope to fly from the USA - but know that if things don't change, we can still opt to fly from Canada to Miami. 

We are a little nervous, but are now pretty sure we can make this cruise (actually two back to back cruises for 14-days happen.)  It'll be interesting to see if we are the only ones getting on the Horizon for two weeks staring August 15th!? We also know there could be health plan complications from the current 'no cruise order' travel advisory (if it remains in place), so we've purchased the health coverage through Carnival to cover that risk (only $49 each).

We put together a quick video on our channel and will be updating our progress and vlogging the experience - hopefully we can be (successful) guinea pigs to show Canadians can now cruise!! Fingers crossed! 

So happy we're not the only ones cruising in August '21.   I found the Verifly App for entering information for flying from Canada to US, anyone downloaded this yet? Anyone else booked their Covid test at the airport before boarding your flight?   At Vancouver airport they are offering the antigen test for $129 and say we should be there 3-4 hours before our flight.  Still really hoping the border opens later this month so we just need proof of vaccination.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 7:00 AM, CruisingCanucksTwo said:

thank you so much for this info. I hope to be cruising before Christmas, so I now have this document available if I need it 😀

No QR code available ? Here in Quebec our QR code was sent to us 24 hours after the second shot.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for this information, we plan on doing B2B in September and are trying to line up everything we need.

Subscribed to your YouTube channel looking forward to your reports and watching past videos...

1 minute ago, gnome12 said:

No QR code in Ontario.

I feel is it better option then a paper version. The QR code can be stored electronically easely on your smart phone. The QR code is used by many countries around the world as a vaccine passport.