Will Holland Ever Sail out of San Francisco Again?

46 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

True and very sad.  DW and I used to count SF among our favorite US cities.  Now, even though we have some good friends who live right in the city, we would not visit SF.  If we were to ever take another cruise out of SF we would likely stay somewhere outside of the city.   It is amazing how locals have allowed one of the most wonderful and beautiful places in North America to deteriorate to a place where even an online map pointing to all the human waste on sidewalks is not considered a big deal.  Argh!

Hank

Sad but true.

I grew up there & it was fantastic. Now not only a total dump, very unsafe. I think we lead the nation in car break ins. There are probably youtubes on the smash & break in thefts from stores & people blatantly just walking out with stuff.

We are one of those 'progressive' states that does not believe in  bail so most of the time these people are not even arrested . That is because they just get booked & released & the cops are tired of that. Some stores are just pulling out.

And the violence.......horrible....again...not much done in the way of justice....BUT...do not cheat on your taxes ! They will probably lock you up in a federal prison   :O)

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not true. A couple of summers prior to Covid, Maasdam did some unique West Coast routes, including a 3 week Alaska that sailed from SF.

Thanks for the correction.  I forgot about that.  i do remember in summer of 2002 Princendam did some to Alaska from San Francisco.  That was the summer after 9/11.

OK, it has been a few years since I have visited the City by the Bay.  But, when I did, my hotel and visits were centered in the Fisherman's Wharf area.  Visited the Ghiradelli store and the area where it was located.  A delicious dinner at Scoma's was enjoyed.  Now, I would find this type of visit to be unsafe, disappointing?  That's hard to believe.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shippy said:

Need a job ?

San Francisco has a 'Poop Patrol' to deal with its feces problem, and workers make more than $184,000 a year in salary and benefits

Hmm.. not really sure what you are trying to point out here? That there is a chronic homeless problem in SF and most US Cities, or that the Cities have some staff to address the problem. Just an FYI, you are considered "low income" and qualify for housing assistance in SF if you make less than $125k a year for a family of 4.

I live in Oakland, but still resent all the SF bashing going on in CC, have any of you been to Seattle, Portland or LA lately?

-Paul

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just sad....I do not know how things will turn around, So out of control. I am old & live just down the coast from SF now. I just stay on the peninsula.

Because of its location & natural beauty, I am sure someday it will again become a glorious city again.

Remember, the OP wanted to gauge interest in HAL ever sailing out of SF again on a regular scheduled basis. The condition of the City itself and its many problems notwithstanding. I think a lot of us HAL loyalists in the Pacific time zone would like that option of sailing from SF. 

Just like I'm sure lots of HAL East Coasters would like to see HAL sail out of NY/NJ on a regular basis.

-Paul

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Hmm.. not really sure what you are trying to point out here? That there is a chronic homeless problem in SF and most US Cities, or that the Cities have some staff to address the problem. Just an FYI, you are considered "low income" and qualify for housing assistance in SF if you make less than $125k a year for a family of 4.

I live in Oakland, but still resent all the SF bashing going on in CC, have any of you been to Seattle, Portland or LA lately?

-Paul

In denial?

8 hours ago, kangforpres said:

I have been in Seattle more recently than San Francisco and I agree that there may be a bit too much bashing of the City by the Bay taking place.  I have not seen the homeless in San Francisco that I saw in Seattle.  Now, that is NOT a negative comment directed towards Seattle!  Those people bothered me, not.  Depressing to view?  Certainly.  But, then, please don't come to my own city of Dayton, Ohio if one does not want to see some of our homeless.  

It is NOT the fault of a city that there are homeless.  It is the FAULT of our society to not properly care for those among us who require such assistance.  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

OK, it has been a few years since I have visited the City by the Bay.  But, when I did, my hotel and visits were centered in the Fisherman's Wharf area.  Visited the Ghiradelli store and the area where it was located.  A delicious dinner at Scoma's was enjoyed.  Now, I would find this type of visit to be unsafe, disappointing?  That's hard to believe.  

All depends.  As long as you do not have a car to park somewhere (a lot of smash and grab thefts).  Do not mind stepping around homeless, and can ignore some of their antics.  Then probably not much of an issue.  Problems mostly related to property crime, vandalism, and general problems with trash, both organic and inorganic.  Tourist areas still pretty safe from violent crime.  At least in daylight.

5 minutes ago, nocl said:

Do not mind stepping around homeless, and can ignore some of their antics.

I have NEVER experienced the number of homeless in a small area than I saw in Seattle.  Step around them?  No.  Any antics that I saw?  No.  They bothered me not.  But, it did reinforce my desire to support those charities who help to support these people who are the children of God just as much as I am.  

• Like 1