No Private Tours in Italy?

Cliff-FLL

We have a Barcelona-to-Venice cruise scheduled for later this year (26 Oct - 9 Nov) and have been arranging for private tours in several ports-of-call.  Today, we received an email from a tour operator that said Italy just issued new restrictions.  Specifically, they told us that cruise ship passengers are restricted to cruise-line organized tours only; i.e., "the bubble".  Considering that we are so far out, they recommended that we contact them again in mid-October to see if the restrictions still apply.

Has anyone else encountered this?  We're trying to figure out if this operator has somehow misinterpreted something.

17 minutes ago, Cliff-FLL said:

We have a Barcelona-to-Venice cruise scheduled for later this year (26 Oct - 9 Nov) and have been arranging for private tours in several ports-of-call.  Today, we received an email from a tour operator that said Italy just issued new restrictions.  Specifically, they told us that cruise ship passengers are restricted to cruise-line organized tours only; i.e., "the bubble".  Considering that we are so far out, they recommended that we contact them again in mid-October to see if the restrictions still apply.

Has anyone else encountered this?  We're trying to figure out if this operator has somehow misinterpreted something.

Zero misinterpretation. Any government with at least “half a brain” is requiring “ship only” tours (e.g,, Barbados) even if folks are vaccinated. Still others won’t even let the ships visit (e.g, Australia).

Smart move(s) on their part!

5 hours ago, Cliff-FLL said:

What could they have misinterpreted? Italy has had varying and multiple levers of guidance and regulations regarding Covid over the last 18 months, I am sure tour operators are well used to correctly interpreting advice from their own government by now. 

• Like 1

Cliff - thank you for that information! It is very surprising as italy (EU) is open for tourists this summer. Italy has been doing quite well lately with minimal COVID deaths. The effect on their tourist euro will be terrible if these visitors cannot arrange private tours - Rome, Vatican etc. Or maybe it is only cruise ships where the digital green certificate is not enforced. Wonder what  Spain is doing.

Many  Caribbean islands are already allowing private tours.

I would appreciate it if you could keep us informed to any changes as I have a cruise to Italy later than yours.

Here in Europe, we're experiencing a significant uptick in the infection rate. It is no surprise,  therefore,  that countries are (re)introducing controls. For example, I cannot travel from home in the UK to Italy without going into isolation there for several days which makes the idea of having a holiday out of the question.

That said, Google hasnt found me anything that confirms the information given to the OP by the tour operator. Of course, that doesnt mean the info is inaccurate, only that I can't see confirmation from any official sources.

20 minutes ago, Harters said:

Here in Europe, we're experiencing a significant uptick in the infection rate. It is no surprise,  therefore,  that countries are (re)introducing controls.

Interesting as a Cruisecritic email just announced that Cunard had cancelled its July sailings. 

3 hours ago, jeno said:

What is the cancellation policy for Oceania tours? If we book a ship tour now to be safe, how close to the tour can we cancel? 

If you read everything that is sent to you with your original O invoice, you’ll find this in the PDF for the shore excursions:

Cancellations and Refunds:
· Tours operate rain or shine.
· Tours require minimum participation levels to operate so please sign up as early as possible. Tours may be cancelled if minimum participation levels are
not met.
· In order to ensure quality guides and sufficient transportation, we must provide the tour operator with passenger counts at least 36 hours in advance.
· Unlimited Passport Collection and Your World Collection packages are fully refundable prior to embarkation of your cruise. Unlimited Passport
Collection and Your World Collection packages that are cancelled after embarkation will incur a 100% cancellation fee.
· A la carte tours are fully refundable until 36 hours in advance of the tour. A la carte tours cancelled less than 36 hours in advance of the tour will incur a
100% cancellation fee.
· In the event of a port cancellation, guests who have purchased a Your World Collection or Unlimited Passport Collection will receive a pro-rata refund
for that port based on the price paid. Guests who have purchased an a la carte excursion for a port that is cancelled will receive a full refund.
· No refunds or credits will be given for individual Your World Collection tours not taken, unless the tours are cancelled by Oceania Cruises.

• Like 1

We are also booked on the Barcelona to Venice cruise.  We have booked our Italian shore excursions through Oceania but now wonder if we will still be allowed free time under the latest restrictions.  Any thoughts?

38 minutes ago, redmaid said:

but now wonder if we will still be allowed free time under the latest restrictions.  Any thoughts?

Difficult even to speculate. Things are constantly changing here in Europe due to the infection uptick. As I mentioned upthread, I cannot travel to Italy without quarantining. I presume that might well also be the case if I was arriving by cruise ship and not by plane.

Here's a link to the country's health ministry website, setting out the broad situation with regards to entry requirements. Unfortunately, it makes no specific mention of the multi-national nature of a cruise ship passneger list. But it may well be that there is no problem for travellers from low risk nations but those from higher risk areas may not be able to disembark even for excursions.

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioContenutiNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english&id=5412&area=nuovoCoronavirus&menu=vuoto

9 hours ago, redmaid said:

[I] wonder if we will still be allowed free time under the latest restrictions.  Any thoughts?

We set up several tours in Italy on our own and, thus far, Messina operator is the only location that has mentioned this.  I mentioned to someone earlier that I think the others are treading water, waiting to see what the situation is as we get closer to our tour dates.  No sense cancelling when the reg's may change again in a month or two.

Oops, I don’t know why the above posted twice. 

I have heard from one Tours by Locals guide in Cinque Terre. She has heard nothing regarding tours being limited to cruise line offerings. I’d like to put a small group together for Cinque Terre—maybe 2-3 other couples. Anyone interested?

On 7/12/2021 at 3:07 PM, SophieM said:

I have heard from one Tours by Locals guide in Cinque Terre. She has heard nothing regarding tours being limited to cruise line offerings. I’d like to put a small group together for Cinque Terre—maybe 2-3 other couples. Anyone interested?

I think I am!

are you thinking by land or boat.

been once and want to go back to see more land and have time for lunch,

On 7/12/2021 at 5:07 PM, SophieM said:

You should post tour sharing requests in your Roll Call where there will be others on the same cruise

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/321-oceania-roll-calls/

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 4:07 PM, SophieM said:

We're on the first 7 days of your 14 day cruise and interested in small group tour of Cinque Terre.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:53 PM, Cliff-FLL said:

We set up several tours in Italy on our own and, thus far, Messina operator is the only location that has mentioned this.  I mentioned to someone earlier that I think the others are treading water, waiting to see what the situation is as we get closer to our tour dates.  No sense cancelling when the reg's may change again in a month or two.

Now you said the magic word:  Messina!  The Deacon at my church mentioned a few weeks ago that he is doing a land trip to Italy and his relatives there told him "Sicily is closed."  I don't know any other details, but this might explain why only your Messina tour operator had to cancel.

On 7/12/2021 at 2:07 PM, SophieM said:

Have you looked at the Roll call for your ship and sailing date?  That's the best place to connect with others on your sailing, although it may or may not be active.  I don't know your specific cruise, otherwise I would give you the link.