Carnival cruise Alaska

cruisintime26

We are taking our first cruise to Alaska. I am looking for information concerning the ports where carnival ships will be docked. Is there anything to do at the port or within walking distance? We will be stopping in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. We are thinking about doing a excursion at one of the ports but I’m not sure if any of the ports have things close by that could walk to. If so I’d like to book a excursion at the port that has the least to do within walking distance. Thanks for any or all advice. 

Lonely Planet Cruise Ports Alaska: A Guide to Perfect Days on Shore is a good place to get information.

Alaska is quite different from the Caribbean. And yes, you can walk to explore all the ports you will be visiting, but there are no Senor Frogs.

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

Lonely Planet Cruise Ports Alaska: A Guide to Perfect Days on Shore is a good place to get information.

Alaska is quite different from the Caribbean. And yes, you can walk to explore all the ports you will be visiting, but there are no Senor Frogs.

Thank you for the information!

6 minutes ago, cruisintime26 said:

Thank you for the information!

Check out this at the top of this forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2639556-2019-resources-for-planning-a-visit-to-alaska/

I just did and followed the link for Gold Rush Nat'l Park in Skagway and added that to my list of things to do in Skagway.

BTW, DH & I are staying close to the ship in the three ports you mentioned- hiking the Rainbird Trail in Ketchikan, taking Mt. Roberts Tram in Juneau with a hike at the summit followed by a DIY tour of the city, and walking the Gold Rush city sites in Skagway. (Disclaimer: we have visited these ports in the past so there may be more unique sites for you to see, e.g. Mendenall Glacier in Juneau.

• Like 1

While there are things to do close, I often say the best things to do in Alaska is away from the port cities.

Not sure if there are mobility issues involved or not. Or if you are just trying to save money on excursions. 

On 7/16/2021 at 9:33 AM, Coral said:

While there are things to do close, I often say the best things to do in Alaska is away from the port cities.

Not sure if there are mobility issues involved or not. Or if you are just trying to save money on excursions. 

No mobility issues and not necessarily trying to save money on excursions either. We will most likely do a excursion at one or two ports. I just wanted to make sure the port we didn’t do a excursion at would have something to do close to the port. Sounds like we can pretty much take our pick. 

Thanks a lot for all the advice! I greatly appreciate it. 

We did this exact cruise with Carnival a few years back. I know you said you were not necessarily trying to save money, but we wanted to experience Alaska but be cost conscious. We ended up renting a car in both Juneau and Skagway. Both car rental locations are walkable from the cruise ship. In Juneau we drove out to Mendenhall Glacier. In Skagway, we drove across to Canada up into the Yukon Territory. I would not hesitate to do it again! 

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, Ireallyneedavacation said:

We did this exact cruise with Carnival a few years back. I know you said you were not necessarily trying to save money, but we wanted to experience Alaska but be cost conscious. We ended up renting a car in both Juneau and Skagway. Both car rental locations are walkable from the cruise ship. In Juneau we drove out to Mendenhall Glacier. In Skagway, we drove across to Canada up into the Yukon Territory. I would not hesitate to do it again! 

Thank you so much. Great advice!

My husband and I are visiting Alaska for the first time and stopping at the same ports as you in August. We are doing the Mendenhall Glacier (which is a excursion/shuttle to the visitor center) in Juneau and then doing the above mentioned self-guided walking tour, going to the Klondike Goldrush Visitors' Center and some of the historic buildings (all walking distance from the ship) and then renting e-bikes in Skagway, and walking the town in Ketchikan (right from the ship).  Ketchikan has a self-guided walking tour app that I downloaded on my iphone.  

Based on my research, there is quite a bit to do within walking distance of each dock.  In Juneau, there are a number of museums along the walking tour route that we would make time for if we weren't doing the excursion.  Before deciding to rent the e-bikes, we were planning to hike two of the trails near downtown Skagway.  If anything, we've had a hard time narrowing down what to do.  I like to research and plan ahead of time, but I really think a more spontaneous person would not have any difficulty filling their time in any of these ports.  

My suggestion would be to decide on what type of excursion interests you the most and then pick that regardless of the port.  Good luck!  🙂 

• Like 1

While they can be pricey when booked through the cruise line, excursions are the things I remember most about my cruises.  Don't get scared by the cruise lines saying the ship won't wait for you if you book an independent excursion.  The independent operators know the port times and are going to get you back in time or risk ruining their reputation.  That being said, don't book an independent excursion that gets back too close to your departure time.  I like to leave an hour between the end of an excursion and the ship's departure.

That gives me enough time to get back on the ship and watch the frantic, last-minute shoppers run for the ship when they cut it too close.  More than once I've seen the look of shock when late returnees learn the ship is not coming back for them.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:51 AM, Crazy planning mom said:

Unfortunately, I never made it to Ketchikan but there is an inexpensive bus.

https://www.alaska.org/detail/ketchikan-bus-services

And that bus goes to both Totem Bight and Saxman. $5 bus all day. $5 to enter Bight. It's not about the cost for me, it's about not being tied to someone's timeline

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 10:36 PM, quack2 said:

While they can be pricey when booked through the cruise line, excursions are the things I remember most about my cruises.  Don't get scared by the cruise lines saying the ship won't wait for you if you book an independent excursion.  The independent operators know the port times and are going to get you back in time or risk ruining their reputation.  That being said, don't book an independent excursion that gets back too close to your departure time.  I like to leave an hour between the end of an excursion and the ship's departure.

That gives me enough time to get back on the ship and watch the frantic, last-minute shoppers run for the ship when they cut it too close.  More than once I've seen the look of shock when late returnees learn the ship is not coming back for them.

I have a friend who does a lot of cruising.  He was on one cruise which did a bunch of stops in the Caribbean and then headed off to Europe.  You obviously know what the rest of the story is. A couple went to one of the beaches on the island.   Only beach clothes.  Minimal amount of money.  No passport so they can't easily catch a plane back to the US.  No credit card although I can't figure out why they didn't take a credit card w them at the beach if only to buy a beer or lunch.  On an island w no US embassy or consulate to help them get back to the US.

They got delayed coming back to the ship and it was gone and remember that the next stop was not another island but Europe.

Wouldn't you have loved to see the look on their faces when they realized that they had a real problem.

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I have a friend who does a lot of cruising.  He was on one cruise which did a bunch of stops in the Caribbean and then headed off to Europe.  You obviously know what the rest of the story is. A couple went to one of the beaches on the island.   Only beach clothes.  Minimal amount of money.  No passport so they can't easily catch a plane back to the US.  No credit card although I can't figure out why they didn't take a credit card w them at the beach if only to buy a beer or lunch.  On an island w no US embassy or consulate to help them get back to the US.

They got delayed coming back to the ship and it was gone and remember that the next stop was not another island but Europe.

Wouldn't you have loved to see the look on their faces when they realized that they had a real problem.

DON

😳