(On a lighter note...) Police Academy guy who made "all the sounds"

Tom-n-Cheryl

I came across THIS story on CNN a couple of days ago, and it jolted my memory.

We were on a cruise (Carnival FOR SURE, Ship=?) a good 15 years ago watching the events in the main show lounge the first evening. The CD was going through all the regular stuff then he said (something along the lines of) "We have a special guest passenger sailing with us this voyage...", and he proceeded to invite him up to the stage. 

Well, it was this fellow - and he proceeded to WOW us all. Really amazing stuff!  🙂

Like I said, we're overdue for some lighter cruise related tales like this. Anyone else want to chime in with their story?

Tom

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Love this guy and he was just on this weeks AGT auditions.  

I saw that episode and it really surprised me.  It seems like he is way too well known and a veteran entertainer to be auditioning for that show.

Just now, ColeThornton said:

I saw that episode and it really surprised me.  It seems like he is way too well known and a veteran entertainer to be auditioning for that show.

He is well known yes but out of the business for many years raising his kids after his wife passed away now that they are grown he wants to come back.  There have been many celebrities' that have been on this show.  I for one thoroughly enjoyed him in all his roles and am happy to see him back.

• Like 2

Probably around the same time in our cruising history as the fellow I mentioned initially, there was an onboard comedian (who I had never heard of before - nothing unusual about that).

He went by the name Geechy Guy. As I watched his show I felt more and more embarrassed for him, barely any of his jokes were landing and he was looking increasingly uncomfortable up there. Some people were booing and heckling him. ☹️

I didn't think another thing of it until several years later we were in Vegas and he opened for either Terry Fator or Jeff Dunham. Once I heard his name announced, I turned to Cheryl and expressed my concerns. Lo and behold he was practically the highlight of the show, I was in stitches, and wiping away the tears of laughter!

All is good with the world!

Tom

I've enjoyed all the comedians and some of the "broadway type" shows, but for me it has to be one of the Naturalists on one of our Alaska cruises.  She was non-stop educational entertainment most of the cruise.  For example, while we were cruising Tracy Arm she brought to life how as the glaciers recede, life returns to the barren cliffs slowly over centuries and sure enough, as we sailed the trees turned to grasses, then moss, then lichen as we got closer to the remaining glacier. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Probably around the same time in our cruising history as the fellow I mentioned initially, there was an onboard comedian (who I had never heard of before - nothing unusual about that).

He went by the name Geechy Guy. As I watched his show I felt more and more embarrassed for him, barely any of his jokes were landing and he was looking increasingly uncomfortable up there. Some people were booing and heckling him. ☹️

I didn't think another thing of it until several years later we were in Vegas and he opened for either Terry Fator or Jeff Dunham. Once I heard his name announced, I turned to Cheryl and expressed my concerns. Lo and behold he was practically the highlight of the show, I was in stitches, and wiping away the tears of laughter!

All is good with the world!

Tom

I loved reading this.

I was a pro comic for several years, back in the day. Probably 1988-1993??? 

Anyway, I knew Geech and loved working with him. I guess his style was pretty weird for some folks or maybe just a bit off that night. But, overall, one of my favorite comics and super nice guy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I've enjoyed all the comedians and some of the "broadway type" shows, but for me it has to be one of the Naturalists on one of our Alaska cruises.  She was non-stop educational entertainment most of the cruise.  For example, while we were cruising Tracy Arm she brought to life how as the glaciers recede, life returns to the barren cliffs slowly over centuries and sure enough, as we sailed the trees turned to grasses, then moss, then lichen as we got closer to the remaining glacier. 

I remember Brent Nixon (Celebrity Solstice/Alaska '15 and '16) was their "go to" naturalist. Very knowledgeable!

Tom