Decision date for Sept 25th cruises.

wowzz

The information posted is directly copied from the UK government site which P&O directed me to for information. I do not purport to be an expert and hence my question. I find the whole question of testing complicated and confusing and hoped someone might have proper information available which P&O are not/cannot offer when asked. I most certainly am not scaremongering and consider your comment unnecessary.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The information posted is directly copied from the UK government site which P&O directed me to for information. I do not purport to be an expert and hence my question. I find the whole question of testing complicated and confusing and hoped someone might have proper information available which P&O are not/cannot offer when asked. I most certainly am not scaremongering and consider your comment unnecessary.

OK - but tests are not required for double vaccinated UK citizens travelling to Spain.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

My information in post 149 is a straight copy from the govt website for tourist entry to Spain, and clearly indicates that it either a PCR test or double vaccinated. So not sure why you misread it.

Taken from the UK government web site. How much clearer can it be ?

I stand by my scaremongering comment.

Sorry John - just saw that you posted the same.

The Spanish government requires all arrivals to Spain from the UK to present on entry a pre-travel declaration form and one of the following: a negative COVID-19 test; or proof of vaccination. See Testing and vaccination requirements for arrivals from the UK for details.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

You are not being fair, Wowzz. Megabear is looking for assistance, not accusations 

Megabear, my understanding is the same as the others , a PCR test  OR proof of vaccination is required to enter Spain - perhaps you may have looked at an outdated web page.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bin man said:

But I guess they are for return ? I think that's where we are all confused to what is required for international cruising 

Looking at the government web site, it looks as if a PCR is required to enter England, to be carried out 3 days before arrival.  This would mean that the tests would need to be carried out on board on the homeward journey. If this is the case, then I’m sure it would be up to P&O to arrange. 

With regulations changing all the time, P&O will leave it to the last minute before they advise people what is required.

With only a month to go before the first international cruise is due to sail, it will be very challenging to achieve a cruise as advertised. 

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Looking at the government web site, it looks as if a PCR is required to enter England, to be carried out 3 days before arrival.  This would mean that the tests would need to be carried out on board on the homeward journey. If this is the case, then I’m sure it would be up to P&O to arrange. 

With regulations changing all the time, P&O will leave it to the last minute before they advise people what is required.

With only a month to go before the first international cruise is due to sail, it will be very challenging to achieve a cruise as advertised. 

It can be a lateral flow test to enter the UK and then a PCR test on or before the second day after returning. 

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

It can be a lateral flow test to enter the UK and then a PCR test on or before the second day after returning. 

I wonder whether you could avoid paying for a test by dropping into a test centre claiming you have covid symptoms, then using that result as your 2 day test??

2 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I’ve just rechecked the Gov website - they don’t specify what sort of test it is, so yes, it could be a LF. It just says that you have to provide proof of the result. I still tend to think that this process would be carried out be P&O, on the way home, to make sure there are no delays on arrival in Southampton 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I wonder whether you could avoid paying for a test by dropping into a test centre claiming you have covid symptoms, then using that result as your 2 day test??

No, you need to provide a reference number from your pre booked day 2 test on your UK passenger locator form, before you return home. 

26 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Does that mean that you have to purchase the test before your holiday?

Yes, but you don't necessarily need to physically be in possession of the test.  You just need the reference number that comes with the order confirmation.

So, in theory, you can order the test whilst you are abroad,  to be delivered to your home, ready for your return. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m travelling on 25th Sept on Britannia and I'm thinking the same. It’s proving very difficult to get any info out of P&O about the testing logistics for the return journey and time is reducing if we do need to buy our own tests to take with us. You can’t use the free NHS ones, they have to be the private tests. Some other lines have already stated their plans and organised packages you can buy for the return to the UK. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Active8 said:

time is reducing if we do need to buy our own tests to take with us.

My understanding is that you cannot use self administered tests for the purposes of entry to the UK.  Princess have alreasy stated that they will be administering the appropriate test on board. P&O will have to do the same.   

I would be more concerned about thousands of passengers trying to log on and complete the Passenger Location forms! 

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My understanding is that you cannot use self administered tests for the purposes of entry to the UK.  Princess have alreasy stated that they will be administering the appropriate test on board. P&O will have to do the same.   

I would be more concerned about thousands of passengers trying to log on and complete the Passenger Location forms! 

You can use self administered tests for entry into the UK. You just need to have the test result certified. You can buy a lateral flow test from various government approved companies, take a photo of the result alongside your passport, upload it to their system, and they send you the necessary certificate to get back into the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

You can use self administered tests for entry into the UK. You just need to have the test result certified. You can buy a lateral flow test from various government approved companies, take a photo of the result alongside your passport, upload it to their system, and they send you the necessary certificate to get back into the UK. 

Thank you for that. I know that the majority of UK tourists in places like Spain are having tests done locally,  probably because the system is simpler and cheaper than the one you describe.

Without being judgemental,  I do wonder if everyone on a cruise would be capable of going through the protocol you describe - and would the ship wifi system cope?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not sure if they have worked out how you are supposed to submit the Passenger Locator form with no internet out in the Bay of Biscay?  Maybe P&O are planning on giving away free internet for 48 hours 🤣Lots of questions still unanswered .I appreciate they want to wait and see what develops but I can see there being quite a few cancellations over the next few weeks if they don't sort it out. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thank you for that. I know that the majority of UK tourists in places like Spain are having tests done locally,  probably because the system is simpler and cheaper than the one you describe.

Without being judgemental,  I do wonder if everyone on a cruise would be capable of going through the protocol you describe - and would the ship wifi system cope?

They're £29, so not too bad. You just have to remember to order them in time so that you can take them with you. It's the day 2 tests that are a killer, price wise.

Yeah, I imagine most on a cruise would probably want someone to do the test for them. 

Wasn't there something in the guidance that suggested those returning from an international cruise wouldn't need a test to enter the UK, providing the cruise had started in the UK? Logically I'm not sure why that would be the case, but I'm sure I heard about it. Could be totally wrong though! 

30 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Wasn't there something in the guidance that suggested those returning from an international cruise wouldn't need a test to enter the UK, providing the cruise had started in the UK?

I've just had another look at the UK government advice regarding international cruises, and as far as I can see, the rules for returning to the UK are the same as for any other foreign holiday.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

They're £29, so not too bad. You just have to remember to order them in time so that you can take them with you. It's the day 2 tests that are a killer, price wise.

Yeah, I imagine most on a cruise would probably want someone to do the test for them. 

Wasn't there something in the guidance that suggested those returning from an international cruise wouldn't need a test to enter the UK, providing the cruise had started in the UK? Logically I'm not sure why that would be the case, but I'm sure I heard about it. Could be totally wrong though! 

I thought I read something similar as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

It would be so much easier and less stressful if they would!!  I can see no one being able to upload anything via the ships WiFi as it’ll be overloaded!!  

• Like 1