Lunch in MDR?

Eli_6

I was looking over John Heald's Facebook posts trying to find the menus for my upcoming cruise and came across a post with a lunch menu where they were serving sea bass, lobster bisque and several other yummy items. The menu clearly said "lunch." I could not discern from the post where this lunch menu was being served at. Someone in the comments suggested that maybe it was the diamond luncheon.  Does Carnival serve lunch in the MDR and I have just missed this treat? Or was this some sort of special luncheon for platinum/diamond/the beards?

Just now, ProgRockCruiser said:

IIRC that was indeed the Diamond luncheon.

MDR opens for breakfast (port days) or brunch (sea days), never "lunch", and never seen something as nice as sea bass served!

So there is no longer lunch in Mdr on port days? Good to know..sad to see it go.

I found this on the Carnival website. It is the only mention of lunch in the MDR:

Lunch Served

Main Restaurant

On cruise durations, 9 days or longer; lunch menu may alternate with sea day brunch menu; waiter service

9 day or longer cruises

22 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

OK, I just checked, and I cannot find lunch in MDR on port days on the Carnival website.  

There's no such thing. Here's  copy of the Funtimes for the Carnival Sunrise,June 29,2019 Grand Turk port stop 

PXL_20210722_190009888.jpg

People seems to be confusing several different things ending up with multiple right/wrong answers.

The OP is clearly talking about the Diamond lunch based on the menu they described.  If you're not a diamond, you're not getting an invite.

Most Carnival cruises don't have lunch in the MDR. They have Brunch covering both breakfast and lunch on sea days.  The typical carnival cruise won't have lunch in the MDR on port days (going back several years, at least).

Journey Cruises (9+ days) will have a lunch menu on some sea days and maybe even port days that isn't the Brunch menu because it'd be the same menu too many days in a row.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I found this on the Carnival website. It is the only mention of lunch in the MDR:

Lunch Served

Main Restaurant

On cruise durations, 9 days or longer; lunch menu may alternate with sea day brunch menu; waiter service

9 day or longer cruises

I do remember on our Hawaii cruise there were certain days that had a slightly different menu than the seaday brunch but it was a small selection and nothing to write home about. Tbh it wasn't worth sitting down for which is why I can't even remember anything about it.

39 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So there is no longer lunch in Mdr on port days? Good to know..sad to see it go.

Most cruiselines, including Royal, NCL and Celebrity won't have lunch in the MDR during Port days since there's no demand for it;everyones off the ship.  

43 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

They haven't served lunch there with the exception of a couple of days on the longer Journey cruises which is done as a "throwback" reminder to the Carnival days of yore. You surprise me fly. This change was made back when you were doing battle here over the use of appliances in the cabins. Good times. 😉 

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Most cruiselines, including Royal, NCL and Celebrity won't have lunch in the MDR during Port days since there's no demand for it;everyones off the ship.  

This is the time when many of the MDR staff take a nap. It's catch as catch can with the service crew.

10 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I do remember on our Hawaii cruise there were certain days that had a slightly different menu than the seaday brunch but it was a small selection and nothing to write home about. Tbh it wasn't worth sitting down for which is why I can't even remember anything about it.

Correct, 9 days or longer cruises and Journey cruises.

5 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

The menu JH shared was the foam on lunch I remember him talking about it. 
The only lunch I can recall is the sea day brunch. 

🤔

"foam on lunch"?  Try as I might, I can't figure out what you had intended to type.  And reading John Heald's posts should provide me some skills in that area!

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

🤔

"foam on lunch"?  Try as I might, I can't figure out what you had intended to type.  And reading John Heald's posts should provide me some skills in that area!

Somehow my phone made “diamond” into “foam on”. No idea.. 

11 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Somehow my phone made “diamond” into “foam on”. No idea.. 

You gave it away. I had this ready to cover for you 😉 The foam was the chef's sea soy foam sauce for the pork belly appetizer course at the Diamond Luncheon. 

soy-sauce-foam-thumbnail.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman

1 minute ago, sanmarcosman said:

You gave it away. I had this ready to cover for you 😉 The foam was the chef's sea soy foam sauce for the pork belly appetizer course at the Diamond Luncheon. 

soy-sauce-foam-thumbnail.jpg

We’ll see, my iPhone did know what it was talking about! 

• Haha 1