Testing Positive From Previous Case

Couldn't find this answer on the boards so wanted to check to see if anyone knows here since I also don't see it mentioned on the RCCL site. We had 2 kids test positive last month and are now well beyond the quarantine and infectious period. I've read online that you can still possibly test positive for months beyond that and the CDC states that if this is the case, you should provided the original positive test and documentation from your doctor that you are good to travel and they called this "documented recovery". Does anyone know if RCCL is allowing this? We are travelling the beginning of Sep so trying to figure out our options just in case they come back with a residual positive test.

Thanks

Got to wonder how Royal will view this, note or no note. I think it might be best to take the FCC at this time and look for an alternate vacation rather then get to the port and be really disappointed.

I mean really with Royal's test procedures can you really be sure of anything once you get to the port?

I wouldn't chance it.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've read so many protocols I don't remember what is what now, but isn't there a clause that if you've recovered in the last 90 days you can get a letter from your doctor saying as much?

The CDC site kind of says that but can't find anything on the Royal site that does.

Just now, ArthurUSCG said:

I thought those that were still testing positive for months afterwords were calling  Long Haul COVID by the CDC and were still likely to spread COVID.

No that's just the sensitivity of the PCR test that it can pick up dead virus fragments and still give you a positive test.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cruiser1976 said:

Does anyone know if RCCL is allowing this?

Not sure how accurate their FAQ is:

For U.S. departures, Royal Caribbean does not grant vaccine accommodation for reasons related to recent recovery from COVID-19.

For departures outside the U.S., guests may present a Certificate of Recovery at time of boarding that verifies the guest was diagnosed with COVID-19 within the 90 days prior to their sail date, and has since recovered. These guests will be permitted to sail unvaccinated, however, will need to adhere to all health protocols and travel requirements for unvaccinated guests as required by the cruise line and at the local, state and national level.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure how accurate their FAQ is:

For U.S. departures, Royal Caribbean does not grant vaccine accommodation for reasons related to recent recovery from COVID-19.

For departures outside the U.S., guests may present a Certificate of Recovery at time of boarding that verifies the guest was diagnosed with COVID-19 within the 90 days prior to their sail date, and has since recovered. These guests will be permitted to sail unvaccinated, however, will need to adhere to all health protocols and travel requirements for unvaccinated guests as required by the cruise line and at the local, state and national level.

Interesting that the 2nd part is for outside the U.S. since the CDC allows for it and would basically be what we need since the kids can't be vaccinated anyway. As for the 1st part, they reference that this is not allowed to prevent vaccination but wish they included guidance on the test result portion itself. I guess i'll call them and get 20 different answers! 🙂 Thanks

• Thanks 1

@Cruiser1976 I don’t know what the protocol would be in such a situation, but this article about the experience of golfer Jon Rahm is quite insightful. The scenario described in your post happened to him at the Olympics.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31909306/golfer-jon-rahm-says-unsure-how-tested-positive-covid-19

Best Wishes!

Edited by syesmar

We had patients test positive for weeks and weeks to the point we couldn't discharge patients. 

Last August the infectious disease docs were saying patients were non-infectious after 10 days. We were discontinuing isolation orders after 21 days. 

I know this doesn't answer the question but does give some insight on how this was working a year ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, ToroAzul said:

We had patients test positive for weeks and weeks to the point we couldn't discharge patients....

I’ve talked to people this happened to, in earlier times, where they weren’t cleared to go back to work with a PCR test. Is one type of test better than another for this type of scenario? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Cruiser1976 said:

Couldn't find this answer on the boards so wanted to check to see if anyone knows here since I also don't see it mentioned on the RCCL site. We had 2 kids test positive last month and are now well beyond the quarantine and infectious period. I've read online that you can still possibly test positive for months beyond that and the CDC states that if this is the case, you should provided the original positive test and documentation from your doctor that you are good to travel and they called this "documented recovery". Does anyone know if RCCL is allowing this? We are travelling the beginning of Sep so trying to figure out our options just in case they come back with a residual positive test.

Thanks

We were told this back in February when families member had covid.

When he was done 14 days home from hospital got tested and he was negative.

Go test now and see what results everyone gets.  Doesnt hurt to try as tests are free at cvs and walgreens.

• Like 1

See this is where I have an issue. For people that don’t get tested regularly, (I do because I’m a healthcare worker) someone fully vaccinated could have been exposed a few weeks ago, never had symptoms, they go get their test to be able to cruise and boom! They are positive. But they may have had it weeks ago and sometimes you will still test positive for a few weeks after.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765837

Graph on what tests detect covid and for how long.    Takeaway - PCR tests are more sensitive and detect covid virus for 6+ weeks after exposure.  Antigen (red in this graph) detects the virus for less time - 2-3ish weeks after exposure.   

It's not a perfect science and we are still learning.  But that's (another reason why) I will get a rapid test before I cruise.  (and yes I'm vaxxed)  

Edited by cindivan
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, cindivan said:

Graph on what tests detect covid and for how long.    Takeaway - PCR tests are more sensitive and detect covid virus for 6+ weeks after exposure.  Antigen (red in this graph) detects the virus for less time - 2-3ish weeks after exposure.   

It's not a perfect science and we are still learning.  But that's (another reason why) I will get a rapid test before I cruise.  (and yes I'm vaxxed)  

Good info! Thanks

12 hours ago, cindivan said:

I assume when you say rapid test you are talking about the antigen test because there are rapid RT-PCR tests too.