Chops grille worth it for $54

19 minutes ago, livinginyellow said:

OMG We ate at Chops last week on Oasis. Hadn't eaten there since we got engaged on Indy in Feb. 2016. It was everything we remembered - and more. The food was FANTASTIC and the best part was the service. Our server kept reminding us that we were in a specialty restaurant and to use it all up - we weren't going to do a salad, but he got us one anyways just to try, and we were so stuffed we didn't want to do dessert, only some ice cream. He got us two slices of some cake to go anyways. It's that kind of thoughtfulness that make a restaurant like that worth it. Sure, it's expensive, but both the food and the experience are not one you are going to get on land. 

See what happens when they have a full ship rather than less than 50% capacity and overstaffed dining/specialty restaurants because they can't adjust staffing levels cruise to cruise.

28 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Its sometimes the same thing.  The beef Carpaccio appetizer i got at Chops on Allure, was in the MDR for dinner a couple days later.  A dessert (I can't remember it now) that I got at Chops that night, appeared for lunch the next day in the MDR.

There is a huge difference on the size of the shrimp cocktail at chops compared to mdr , I also think service is normally better in chops although I am sure there are exceptions. Glad many people do not want to spend the money on chops and other specialty this way it’s less crowded for us that do. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

See what happens when they have a full ship rather than less than 50% capacity and overstaffed dining/specialty restaurants because they can't adjust staffing levels cruise to cruise.

I was on a ship with 50 percent capacity a couple of months ago service was fine in specialty restaurants.

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

But....we had a similar experience on Independence DURING that time. Also its unfair to say that - it negates the experience we DID have. So I think, regardless of capacity, it's a great choice 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George C said:

I was on a ship with 50 percent capacity a couple of months ago service was fine in specialty restaurants.

The point is you should get better service at the current passenger level. The cruise line can't change crewing level week to week, so the staff it at what they think will be the most passengers. Since they have to feed them and pay them they might as well put them to work. Don't think that's the new norm. When/if they ever, get to max passengers and max crew, the service level will change dramatically.

32 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The point is you should get better service at the current passenger level. The cruise line can't change crewing level week to week, so the staff it at what they think will be the most passengers. Since they have to feed them and pay them they might as well put them to work. Don't think that's the new norm. When/if they ever, get to max passengers and max crew, the service level will change dramatically.

Disagree. We had similar service five years ago. Therefore, in my opinion, your point is invalid. Thank you for offering it.

9 hours ago, livinginyellow said:

OMG We ate at Chops last week on Oasis. Hadn't eaten there since we got engaged on Indy in Feb. 2016. It was everything we remembered - and more. The food was FANTASTIC and the best part was the service. Our server kept reminding us that we were in a specialty restaurant and to use it all up - we weren't going to do a salad, but he got us one anyways just to try, and we were so stuffed we didn't want to do dessert, only some ice cream. He got us two slices of some cake to go anyways. It's that kind of thoughtfulness that make a restaurant like that worth it. Sure, it's expensive, but both the food and the experience are not one you are going to get on land. 

What are you talking about. I'm 60 yrs old and my 89 yr old parents still try to force food down my throat. They don't take no for an answer either and it's free.

6 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

We had poor service there three years ago, that trumps your five years. That makes your point invalid.

We ate at Jamies on Anthem in 2019 because of a large discount they offered. We were literally the only ones in the restaurant and only saw waitstaff when it was time to bring the next course. I'm not complaining because I like it that way. I don't like chit chat while I'm trying to eat. If it were anyone else they would not be happy with the service.

On 8/8/2021 at 12:44 PM, jfio1021 said:

If your professional cruising opinion is chops grille worth it for an extra 55 bucks, are the quality of the steaks that much better than main dining room. Is it not even your favorite speciality restaurant on the oasis class ships? 

They are better steaks than MDR, but not close to STK, Ruby's, Cut, etc...

Although I wouldn’t pay $55 or whatever it is ( we enjoy the three night dining package on Oasis class ships ) for a single meal in Chops Grille or for that matter any other speciality restaurant.

I’m pleased to say when we’ve dined in any of them we’ve always had fantastic service and excellent meals.

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

We had poor service there three years ago, that trumps your five years. That makes your point invalid.

LOL not the same logic, but OK. I was just saying that it's ok that people have different opinions....Anyways I hope that people aren't put-off by the negative reviews and people in this thread and do what is that makes THEM comfortable. If you enjoy it, then enjoy it! It's your vacation after all 🙂

We have eaten at Chops on many RCCL ships, including Adventure five weeks ago, Serenade three weeks ago, and Adventure last week.  My wife says the fillet on Chops beats Ruth's Chris any day of the week.  And we are D+ so we use our BOGO on one of the first two nights of the cruise. 

4 minutes ago, homedepot124 said:

We have eaten at Chops on many RCCL ships, including Adventure five weeks ago, Serenade three weeks ago, and Adventure last week.  My wife says the fillet on Chops beats Ruth's Chris any day of the week.  And we are D+ so we use our BOGO on one of the first two nights of the cruise. 

I have eaten in chops many times had a few mediocre meals but most have been really good , but would take Ruth Chris over chops , appetizers, desserts and entree would be a lot more in Ruth Chris, also diamond plus.