US State Dept Statement on the French passe sanitaire

Wings55

The State Dept. sent out a note this afternoon announcing the new policy requiring the pass sanitaire to enter most public spaces. Up until now I understood our CDC vaccination cards would be sufficient for US travelers but that may not be the case. Here is a portion of the letter. I'm not sure where this leaves us since we fly to Paris on Sunday for three days prior to boarding the AmaDante on the 19th.

"Generally, while France is permitting the use of a U.S. vaccination record (the white CDC card) for entry into France, this record is not generally accepted otherwise as a health pass. 

The U.S. Embassy CANNOT provide a French health pass.

Currently the French government has not provided an official solution to obtain the health pass for non-French citizens vaccinated outside of France.  The Embassy has been told the French government intends to provide a solution in August for non-French citizens vaccinated outside of France with vaccines that are approved for use in France.  As of the time of this alert, we have no update.   Once we receive official word on this, we will post the information to our website, https://fr.usembassy.gov.

Any willing French pharmacy or doctor has the ability to enter the foreign vaccination information into the French system, but many are unwilling to do so.  We do not have a list of pharmacies willing to provide this service, and our information is that such lists that can be found online are subject to frequent and rapid change.   Please be aware that some pharmacies and medical centers have begun referring people to the Embassy to obtain the health pass, although the Embassy has no ability to provide this French document. 

As an alternative, temporary solution, a negative COVID-19 test, whether a PCR test or an antigen test, will provide a temporary health pass and QR code good for 72 hours from the time of the test."

@Roz Yes we're having our doubts about the trip at this point. The State Dept has now added France to the 'Level Four Do not travel lists'.  Unless Ama cancels or somehow the State Dept. bans travel to France I think we're on the hook for this trip. We have travel insurance but not 'cancel for any reason' coverage. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

We have a similar concern regarding our Provence trip with Uniworld in early September. I need to contact our travel agent and travel insurance company tomorrow to see what our options are. One positive is that vaccinations among the French are increasing.

• Like 1

@skinnylegs Agreed, but we've scheduled three days in Paris prior to our cruise. If our vaccination cards aren't accepted were do we eat or what sights can we see if we're not allowed entry? Three days in a hotel room is not the way I envisioned the start to a long awaited vacation. We leave six days from today. 

I'm sorry... I'm not finding fault with your response. I'm just a little edgy right now. I hope the officials have worked out the details prior to your September departure. 🤞

• Like 1

Good news...

This morning I found another email from the State Department waiting for me. It again stressed France has been raised to Level Four, Do not travel status. The good news is the French Govt. has established a format for US and Canadian citizens to acquire the needed health pass. I will try to copy the link here for those who need it.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/coronavirus-statements/article/applying-for-a-covid-certificate-if-you-were-vaccinated-abroad-procedure-for

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the update Wings55. I hope you have an amazing trip! Not sure if this is our year to travel. We were lucky enough to be on the Paris to Normandy trip two years ago and are happy to have experienced that. Bon Voyage!

1 hour ago, Wings55 said:

Good news...

This morning I found another email from the State Department waiting for me. It again stressed France has been raised to Level Four, Do not travel status. The good news is the French Govt. has established a format for US and Canadian citizens to acquire the needed health pass. I will try to copy the link here for those who need it.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/coronavirus-statements/article/applying-for-a-covid-certificate-if-you-were-vaccinated-abroad-procedure-for

Thanks for this. We will be spending a week in France following our bike and barge, and I wasn't sure how the logistics would work. I hope that the fact that I'm flying into Frankfurt won't make this more difficult.

3 hours ago, Wings55 said:

Good news...

The good news is the French Govt. has established a format for US and Canadian citizens to acquire the needed health pass. I will try to copy the link here for those who need it.

Thanks so much for posting! We leave for Nice and then Corsica in about 4 weeks so I'll be using this link shortly. My default was going to be seeing if Ponant or the ship's doctor would enter our vaccination into the system and generate a passe sanitaire but we will feel much better having them already in hand prior to leaving.

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks so much for posting! We leave for Nice and then Corsica in about 4 weeks so I'll be using this link shortly. 

I think you'll have to wait until its a little closer to your trip.  

They're only processing for those arrive on/before the 15th. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mapsd said:

I think you'll have to wait until its a little closer to your trip.  

They're only processing for those arrive on/before the 15th. 

Yes, thanks - I did see that caveat. I'm "patiently" waiting for them to process the ones who need this sooner before they open it up for later dates.

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So do I only need a Cordon Pass Sanitaire if I want to visit a bar or restaurant in France?  If I stay in the ship's excursion bubbles am I OK 'undocumented'?

It might depend where your excursions go. You might need the pass to enter somewhere.

46 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So do I only need a Cordon Pass Sanitaire if I want to visit a bar or restaurant in France?  If I stay in the ship's excursion bubbles am I OK 'undocumented'?

The way I read the rules, I believe you do need it to enter a restaurant or bar. Some places may recognize your CDC card but if not.. you're out of luck. 🤞

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Wow - I am glad this is not me. I wish Ama would give you a choice to reschedule to a later date.

Good luck!

We had the same thought but with five days until we fly, I think we know our fate. 😉 We plan to make the most of our two weeks in France. Wish us luck! LOL

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wings55 said:

We had the same thought but with five days until we fly, I think we know our fate. 😉 We plan to make the most of our two weeks in France. Wish us luck! LOL

I know you will! I can't wait to hear your comments when you return. I hope it is an amazing time.

One last bit of advice if you are applying for the French 'Health Pass'. Jane submitted our requests and quickly got a response acknowledging the receipt of my request but not hers. She tried again but got no reply. I suggested we try submitting her request using my email account. Within minutes we had a response confirming her information had been received. 

I asked another CC member about his experience and he informed me they too used separate e-mail addresses and had no issues. 

Now we sit back and wait to see if we get the necessary paperwork/e-doc before we leave on Sunday. 🤞

Paul

A lot to take in and think about before travelling. I got an email update from a hotel chain explaining what I need to do if I want to stay in one of their hotels in France. For the moment I think I will stay in my own country...

Perhaps this page is already known to you folks but here it is anyway, testing places in France: https://www.sante.fr/cf/carte-depistage-covid.html

@Wings55 safe travels and have a great time in France.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mapsd said:

I'm curious if our Rhine cruise may restrict which side of the river we can visit on excursions?

Will Strasbourg be out?  

My bike and barge trip has just announced that due to the situation in France we will be adjusting the final 2 days to remain in Germany, ending in Saarbrucken. It is possible that your cruise may also skip France. 

24 minutes ago, mapsd said:

I'm curious if our Rhine cruise may restrict which side of the river we can visit on excursions?

Will Strasbourg be out?  

Who knows. For an individual coming from Germany going into France for a few hours is no problem right now if you are fully vaccinated. More complicated may be getting onto a coach or getting into a museum for which you may need a test. That test you got before boarding the ship may not be valid by then. But the cruise line will know the details far better than me and I am sure do what is best and most feasible - which may be not going to Strasbourg. I would not rule out such a decision.

4 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

My bike and barge trip has just announced that due to the situation in France we will be adjusting the final 2 days to remain in Germany, ending in Saarbrucken. It is possible that your cruise may also skip France. 

Sorry to read that. But Saarbrücken is a nice place to be, not a substitute but a worthy alternative under the circumstances.

Unfortunately, it makes my speculation about Strasbourg stronger. I hope it will be otherwise, mapsd, and you can enjoy Strasbourg.

notamermaid

We’ve postponed our barge cruise on the canal du Nivernais until next year not only for COVID problems but would you believe the company asked us to so that they could accommodate a German group. Same price our choice of time of year. So it’s Cornwall and Scotland this year.

Maybe all these COVID challenges will be agreed internationally eventually- as soon as possible.

Edited by Canal archive

On 8/10/2021 at 6:27 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

You will likely need the pass sanitaire for entry into any public venue bringing together more than 50 people as indicated here: https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19

Museums and cultural sites like castles/archeological/markets will all ask for pass sanitaire. Not sure if a ship's excursion group could be exempted from that?