Carnival Testing for Vaccinated Passengers update

BlerkOne

2 minutes ago, Coopdog08 said:

Just to confirm the LumiraDx Sars-COV2 Ag Test provided by CVS would fall under the listed eligibility from the original post? Thanks

That is an antigen test which is allowed for vaccinated passengers. 

Does anyone know if this test performed at Walgreens is acceptable?

Types of tests

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on site, with results available the same day. These tests imply current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up test with a diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.

They also have this one but seems to be harder to get appt for

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

Close
Close

For people with questions, I might suggest they ask their healthcare provider for advice. Many of them can do rapid tests, besides. Or ask the pharmacist at wherever. Too many people practice medicine without a license on the internet.

• Like 2

As promised, I am back with the update on my situation in which we are booked to sail on the Liberty 10-14 January 2022 followed by jumping on the Magic the next day, 15 January, for a second cruise.  So off the Liberty on Friday and on the Magic on Saturday.  Which means we would be in a race against time to get tested for the 2nd cruise.

Well, the Carnival rep basically told me that the only option we have it to schedule somewhere in Port Canaveral to get a COVID test on January 14th so that we can get tested after we disembark the Liberty that morning.  Right now, Carnival is offering onboard testing to back-to back cruisers and unvaccinated cruisers.  There is no exception for people in our rare situation.  

So, we have until 27 October to make our Final Payment on the Liberty cruise (the 2nd cruise on the Magic is already paid in full).  Wifey and I will make a decision before then on whether or not to cancel the Liberty cruise; which was just a 4 day "relaxation cruise" we booked spontaneously to satisfy our cruising itch before our big 8 day on the Magic.

I told the rep that I understood Carnivals current policy and I know that the rules may even change by then but I also recommended that Carnival think about offering onboarding testing for those rare situations like ours where cruisers may be getting off one Carnival ship with a day or two between cruises.  

We really don't want to run around Port Canaveral the day before the 2nd cruise trying to get a test and hoping we'll get the results back before boarding the Magic the next day.  Considering that these are both Carnival cruises, it seems like they would be willing to help us with the testing requirement for the 2nd leg.

Edited by vacruisin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vacruisin said:

We really don't want to run around Port Canaveral the day before the 2nd cruise trying to get a test and hoping we'll get the results back before boarding the Magic the next day.  Considering that these are both Carnival cruises, it seems like they would be willing to help us with the testing requirement for the 2nd leg.

Another option you have is to ask once on the first cruise if they will test you before debarkation. I imagine they can make an exception on a case by case basis, IF they choose to.

IF you purchase Carnival insurance for the second cruise, it comes with a cancel for any reason clause, where you can get 3/4 of you cruise fare in the form of a FCC. You would have to decide if it is worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaniceB said:

Does anyone know if this test performed at Walgreens is acceptable?

Types of tests

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on site, with results available the same day. These tests imply current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up test with a diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.

They also have this one but seems to be harder to get appt for

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

Close
Close

The ID Now test is an isothermal amplification test which has very recently been approved by Carnival for vaccinated guests. The antigen test has been acceptable for vaccinated passengers since the initial announcement. 

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Another option you have is to ask once on the first cruise if they will test you before debarkation. I imagine they can make an exception on a case by case basis, IF they choose to.

IF you purchase Carnival insurance for the second cruise, it comes with a cancel for any reason clause, where you can get 3/4 of you cruise fare in the form of a FCC. You would have to decide if it is worth it.

BlerkOne, thanks for the suggestion and especially thanks for starting this thread.  It's an important issue for vaccinated cruisers with the new testing requirement.

The Magic cruise is our priority so if we're going to cancel either cruise it would be the Liberty cruise.  We really are trying to figure out how to keep both cruises but I don't know a way we can do that without running the risk of not getting test results back in time to board the Magic.  

Again, the protocols could change by then so this all could be moot but we are trying to think ahead and think worst case scenario.

Edited by vacruisin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brew12 said:

The ID Now test is an isothermal amplification test which has very recently been approved by Carnival for vaccinated guests. The antigen test has been acceptable for vaccinated passengers since the initial announcement. 

Thank you sounds like they are both acceptable for vaccinated guest and the 1 seemed easier to get.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vacruisin said:

BlerkOne, thanks for the suggestion and especially thanks for starting this thread.  It's an important issue for vaccinated cruisers with the new testing requirement.

The Magic cruise is our priority so if we're going to cancel either cruise it would be the Liberty cruise.  We really are trying to figure out how to keep both cruises but I don't know a way we can do that without running the risk of not getting test results back in time to board the Magic.  

There are loads of places all over that city where you can schedule a test appointment in advance and get it back in a few hours tops.  If that is too much you could buy an observed self administered tests and do it from your hotel room.  I don't see this risk you are talking about.

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Really, you can ask and hope that they grant an exception? Aren't you the one that said that they "are not Burger King"? You defended them not granting an exception, and now say why don't you ask for one?

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Really, you can ask and hope that they grant an exception? Aren't you the one that said that they "are not Burger King"? You defended them not granting an exception, and now say why don't you ask for one?

Individual cruise ships have some autonomy. Ask at the proper level. Otherwise expect an automatic rejection. It isn't that hard to understand.

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Individual cruise ships have some autonomy. Ask at the proper level. Otherwise expect an automatic rejection. It isn't that hard to understand.

I understand it. What you don't seem to understand is they want some certainty. Maybe they will allow it or maybe they won't hardly qualifies as certainty.

Is that so hard to understand?

My Urgent Care  offers the Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 rapid test to detect cases of the live COVID-19 virus. This rapid test provides positive results in 5 minutes and negative results in 13 minutes.  It is performed via a molecular instrument, which is more accurate than rapid antigen tests. The Abbott ID NOW test is available under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the FDA. The Abbott ID NOW’s COVID-19 testing performance of 95.0% sensitivity and 97.9% specificity within seven days of symptom onset.

Do you think Carnival will accept this test? 

40 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I understand it. What you don't seem to understand is they want some certainty. Maybe they will allow it or maybe they won't hardly qualifies as certainty.

Is that so hard to understand?

We've already been around that bend in the river. It isn't Burger King. 

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

We've already been around that bend in the river. It isn't Burger King. 

And it would be totally foolish for them to do their proposed 2 Carnival cruise plan on the premise of maybe the first ship will accommodate their test need for the second cruise and maybe they won't.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruise to live said:

My Urgent Care  offers the Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 rapid test to detect cases of the live COVID-19 virus. This rapid test provides positive results in 5 minutes and negative results in 13 minutes.  It is performed via a molecular instrument, which is more accurate than rapid antigen tests. The Abbott ID NOW test is available under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the FDA. The Abbott ID NOW’s COVID-19 testing performance of 95.0% sensitivity and 97.9% specificity within seven days of symptom onset.

Do you think Carnival will accept this test? 

Yes, they will. It is an isothermal amplification test which they say they will now accept.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ray98 said:

There are loads of places all over that city where you can schedule a test appointment in advance and get it back in a few hours tops.  If that is too much you could buy an observed self administered tests and do it from your hotel room.  I don't see this risk you are talking about.

Well that's the beauty of being individuals, we don't all assess risks at the same level. 🙂 We are paying thousands of dollars on an 8 day cruise that we really are looking forward to so we think worst case scenario.  Getting tested and having results back 1 day before our cruise is not a GUARANTEE.  It'll probably happen but if it doesn't we don't get to go on our much anticipated cruise.  You might be willing to bet on that but we aren't.  Unless Carnival agrees to test us at the end of the first cruise, we're going to cancel that one and just do the second one.  We have a couple of months to try to work this out with Carnival.  To each his/her own.

I brought this scenario to this thread just to present a unique circumstance that someone else may run into while this testing requirement is still in effect.  Not looking for sympathy or judgement.  We have a plan of action in place.

Thanks to everyone for your inputs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 3:25 PM, BlerkOne said:

Carnival already has given a response. They aren't burger king.

So you are saying Carnival does not even rate as high as a second rate fast food restaurant?🤣

And I thought that we could each do it our way was one of the beautiful things about cruises (all lines). DW and I often do different things on the ships while knowing we will still get quality time together on the ship and especially after disembarking at ports.😊

1 hour ago, vacruisin said:

Well that's the beauty of being individuals, we don't all assess risks at the same level. 🙂 We are paying thousands of dollars on an 8 day cruise that we really are looking forward to so we think worst case scenario.  Getting tested and having results back 1 day before our cruise is not a GUARANTEE.  It'll probably happen but if it doesn't we don't get to go on our much anticipated cruise.  You might be willing to bet on that but we aren't.  Unless Carnival agrees to test us at the end of the first cruise, we're going to cancel that one and just do the second one.  We have a couple of months to try to work this out with Carnival.  To each his/her own.

I brought this scenario to this thread just to present a unique circumstance that someone else may run into while this testing requirement is still in effect.  Not looking for sympathy or judgement.  We have a plan of action in place.

Wise decision. I hope Carnival works it out for the mutual benefit of you and the cruise line (and me as a stockholder). If you do get approval, make sure you have it in writing to take aboard your first sailing!

I totally agree with you that taking the risk of MAYBE they will fulfill our need once we are on the first voyage is foolish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vacruisin said:

You're welcome. Of course, if you changed to a b2b on the same ship, Carnival would automatically test you between cruises.

• Like 1

Perhaps someone can confirm that Princess offers a test the day before 

disembarkation for those going on an international flights

The numbers would be small relative to the passengers load and 

would greatly elevate the stress looking for a test post cruise.

Come on Carnival !

2 hours ago, vacruisin said:

I've been thinking of your situation and honestly? I'm not sure I would do the 2 cruises even if they are willing to test at the end of the first cruise.

If you are vaccinated and not traveling with someone who is unvaccinated, odds of you needing any test onboard are very small. You basically need to be symptomatic. We really don't have a good idea how many asymptomatic passengers would test positive if they were tested. A positive test means not only would you miss the 2nd cruise (the one you want to take) but it also means you can't fly home (if you are flying). 

To me, the risk assessment isn't worth it. I might be willing to risk it if the less important cruise was the 2nd cruise. If driving to the port was an option I would almost certainly do both in that order. 

• Like 2