Carnival Testing for Vaccinated Passengers update

BlerkOne

18 hours ago, ray98 said:

There are loads of places all over that city where you can schedule a test appointment in advance and get it back in a few hours tops.  If that is too much you could buy an observed self administered tests and do it from your hotel room.  I don't see this risk you are talking about.

Don't think   observed self administered tests are allowed now.

29 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I've been thinking of your situation and honestly? I'm not sure I would do the 2 cruises even if they are willing to test at the end of the first cruise.

If you are vaccinated and not traveling with someone who is unvaccinated, odds of you needing any test onboard are very small. You basically need to be symptomatic. We really don't have a good idea how many asymptomatic passengers would test positive if they were tested. A positive test means not only would you miss the 2nd cruise (the one you want to take) but it also means you can't fly home (if you are flying). 

To me, the risk assessment isn't worth it. I might be willing to risk it if the less important cruise was the 2nd cruise. If driving to the port was an option I would almost certainly do both in that order. 

Brew12, that is very true.  Asymptomatic infections and false positives do occur so getting the test before the end of the first cruise could risk the possibility of a false positive that would cancel the 2nd cruise.  And, yes the 2nd cruise is the one we are most looking forward to so I think you're right; we probably should just cancel the 1st one to eliminate that risk factor.  

We're in VA and the cruises are out of Port Canaveral and in January.  We've driven all the way down to Miami a couple of times to catch cruises in the summer but would not even think about driving to FLA in the winter time.   

Man I swear you can get some very good advice on CC.  That is why it's good to have a forum where you can toss around ideas with fellow cruise addicts.  You can get a wide variety of ideas and perspectives to help you make decisions on your vacation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vacruisin said:

Man I swear you can get some very good advice on CC.  That is why it's good to have a forum where you can toss around ideas with fellow cruise addicts.  You can get a wide variety of ideas and perspectives to help you make decisions on your vacation.

Glad to help, but remember, this is the internet. I have no choice but to say something hateful and uncalled for to prove how much of a keyboard warrior I am. I just need to find something you said that I can force myself to find horribly offensive.  Let me apologize for that in advance. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

Glad to help, but remember, this is the internet. I have no choice but to say something hateful and uncalled for to prove how much of a keyboard warrior I am. I just need to find something you said that I can force myself to find horribly offensive.  Let me apologize for that in advance. 😜

Apology accepted in advance!  Now go think up something mean to say and make it good! 😁

Edited by vacruisin
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, vacruisin said:

Apology accepted in advance!  Now go think up something mean to say and make it good! 😁

I would tell you that your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries but that one has already been used. Not to mention I don't have any idea what elderberries smell like. But I'll come up with something!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, vacruisin said:

Well that's the beauty of being individuals, we don't all assess risks at the same level. 🙂 We are paying thousands of dollars on an 8 day cruise that we really are looking forward to so we think worst case scenario.  Getting tested and having results back 1 day before our cruise is not a GUARANTEE.  It'll probably happen but if it doesn't we don't get to go on our much anticipated cruise.  You might be willing to bet on that but we aren't.  Unless Carnival agrees to test us at the end of the first cruise, we're going to cancel that one and just do the second one.  We have a couple of months to try to work this out with Carnival.  To each his/her ow

I brought this scenario to this thread just to present a unique circumstance that someone else may run into while this testing requirement is still in effect.  Not looking for sympathy or judgement.  We have a plan of action in place.

Thanks to everyone for your inputs.

You're welcome. I hope I was helpful. And thanks for the likes to my posts. I guess that does mean you found them helpful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I would tell you that your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries but that one has already been used. Not to mention I don't have any idea what elderberries smell like. But I'll come up with something!

That one is new to me so that works.  Now excuse me while I store that one in my mental rolodex to spring on someone on a future thread. 😆

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You're welcome. I hope I was helpful. And thanks for the likes to my posts. I guess that does mean you found them helpful.

Yes sir or ma'am,

You, BlerkOne, and Brew12 have given me some very good advice on how to handle my situation.  

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You're welcome. Of course, if you changed to a b2b on the same ship, Carnival would automatically test you between cruises.

Well BlerkOne…..I totally missed your suggestion of doing the b2b on the same ship but wifey saw it and was shocked that I didn’t try to talk her into this option!

So…..we talked it over and decided to switch the Liberty cruise to the 6-day cruise on the Magic that week!  So now we are booked on a b2b on the Magic!!! lol

We even got the same room for both cruises!!  Talk about destiny!!!  😜😂

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, vacruisin said:

Well BlerkOne…..I totally missed your suggestion of doing the b2b on the same ship but wifey saw it and was shocked that I didn’t try to talk her into this option!

So…..we talked it over and decided to switch the Liberty cruise to the 6-day cruise on the Magic that week!  So now we are booked on a b2b on the Magic!!! lol

We even got the same room for both cruises!!  Talk about destiny!!!  😜😂

Wow! As they say, all's well that ends well. Enjoy your cruises, both of them.😊😊

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dgreeney said:

Don't think   observed self administered tests are allowed now.

From Carnival:

Is a self-test acceptable?

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

9 minutes ago, ray98 said:

From Carnival:

Is a self-test acceptable?

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

Delaware had teachers use the company Vault for testing various times over the year. it is where you spit into a cup while a lady/ or man watches you and watches you seal the cup, etc.  can we use that?

Edited by stellarose

7 hours ago, Brew12 said:

But that only works if the object of your taunting is a silly English k-nig-it.  Perhaps you should tell him his parrot us dead.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

See our Transport Minister made a comment that soon all commercial air travellers in Canada will be required to be vaccinated

Interesting.  Are they vaccinating children in Canada now?  If not, then I guess children won't be able to fly out there.

It seems like the best alternative would be to require people get tested at the airport or one day prior to flying.  As long as someone tests negative for covid, they should be able to fly, in my opinion.  Simply being vaccinated does not mean a person is free from covid.

18 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Interesting.  Are they vaccinating children in Canada now?  If not, then I guess children won't be able to fly out there.

It seems like the best alternative would be to require people get tested at the airport or one day prior to flying.  As long as someone tests negative for covid, they should be able to fly, in my opinion.  Simply being vaccinated does not mean a person is free from covid.

in the same comment he mentioned the requirement for Cruise ships as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

As long as someone tests negative for covid, they should be able to fly, in my opinion.  Simply being vaccinated does not mean a person is free from covid.

I'd say the counterpoint to that argument is that flying is a high risk activity, and a vaccinated person is much less likely to have an adverse outcome. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I'd say the counterpoint to that argument is that flying is a high risk activity, and a vaccinated person is much less likely to have an adverse outcome. 

True, but if the goal is to decrease the spread then testing before flying makes sense since so many vaccinated people are getting the delta variant.  I am about to fly to Florida this weekend and my only concern about my vacation is my flight there and back.  I would have had no issue getting a covid test before flying if everyone else had to do the same.  As it is, I think flying is one of the riskiest activities and am willing to take a chance.  At least it's a direct flight, so my exposure is limited.

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

See our Transport Minister made a comment that soon all commercial air travellers in Canada will be required to be vaccinated

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

in the same comment he mentioned the requirement for Cruise ships as well.

All federal employees,  trains, cruise ships, ferries. All companies under federal jurisdiction --banks etc.

People have until end of October to comply. 

• Like 1