Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

37 minutes ago, memoak said:

Back when we had TD and got a bad table we would go to the manager and request a different restaurant and table. We had some bad experiences glad TD is over

It's always "interesting" to be seated at a table with someone who is Incredibly Important and Knows Everything and also knows so very many Extremely Important People - at least in their own mind. 😬

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Thrak said:

It's always "interesting" to be seated at a table with someone who is Incredibly Important and Knows Everything and also knows so very many Extremely Important People - at least in their own mind. 😬

Those are bad but my favorite ones were the couple who declared that “their” table was a non drinking table and the racist who made comments about the race of the servers. Both of those we ran from

• Like 4

Those are bad but my favorite ones were the couple who declared that “their” table was a non drinking table and the racist who made comments about the race of the servers. Both of those we ran from

Years ago my two daughters and I were seated at a table with two women who barely said hello as we sat and then when we ordered a bottle of bubbly they didn't say a single word to us for the rest of dinner.  Just looked at us with a look of disgust the whole meal.
And worse, we were on a cruise with 2 other couples and when we asked our server what flavor ice creams they had he responded with an accent telling us "banella" (vanilla) and one of the men  of the other couple made fun of the accent and kept repeating  the mispronounced word over and over.  UGH!  What a jerk he was!

Edited by suzyed

29 minutes ago, memoak said:

Weirdos. One of the most interesting things about cruising is the crew. It's cool how they come from so many different places. We talked with people from multiple cultures and it's interesting. It can be quite informative and sometimes humbling.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Years ago my two daughters and I were seated at a table with two women who barely said hello as we sat and then when we ordered a bottle of bubbly they didn't say a single word to us for the rest of dinner.  Just looked at us with a look of disgust the who meal.
And worse, we were on a cruise with 2 other couples and when we asked our server what flavor ice creams they had he responded with an accent telling us "banella" (vanilla) and one of the men  of the other couple made fun of the accent and kept repeating  the mispronounced word over and over.  UGH!  What a jerk he was!

Hey! I get Banilla Lattes at IC many mornings! It's never bothered me a bit. I'd like to see some of these uppity passengers try to pronounce things in Tagalog...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Thanks for remembering me Thrak! 🤣  

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Kay S said:

I guess we have just been lucky.  40+ cruises over five lines, and we have only had maybe three bad experiences with tablemates.  

We like TD and also fared pretty well over the years. I do remember one really pretentious lady that I chose to find funny instead of annoying. That was fine. But on one of our cruises before the pandemic, we were seated at a six top that pretty well finished us with shared tables. One of the couples always - always - showed up seriously late when they showed up at all. A couple of nights they never showed up at all. Our waiter kept us waiting around every night to see if/when they would be there. We did ask him to move things along, which didn't help at all. That inconsiderate couple kept us and the third couple waiting every dang night. The third couple was nice, so we stuck it out. Never again with the shared table!

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

We like TD and also fared pretty well over the years. I do remember one really pretentious lady that I chose to find funny instead of annoying. That was fine. But on one of our cruises before the pandemic, we were seated at a six top that pretty well finished us with shared tables. One of the couples always - always - showed up seriously late when they showed up at all. A couple of nights they never showed up at all. Our waiter kept us waiting around every night to see if/when they would be there. We did ask him to move things along, which didn't help at all. That inconsiderate couple kept us and the third couple waiting every dang night. The third couple was nice, so we stuck it out. Never again with the shared table!

My other issue was the passenger who ordered multiple appetizers, soup corse, salad course, main and two desserts. Dinner took forever and we gave up after 2 nights

• Thanks 1

We always do Anytime, but ask to share a large table. Someone new every night. And it's easy to talk, just ask them about themselves [who doesn't want to talk about themselves?]. After that, common ground almost naturally appears and viola! I always prefer to plan dining around my other activities, rather than vica versa. And I love people, they are so varied yet similar. And, of course, after the cruise they get to say they know me .......... 🤩

1 hour ago, memoak said:

My other issue was the passenger who ordered multiple appetizers, soup corse, salad course, main and two desserts. Dinner took forever and we gave up after 2 nights

Yep!  Had a couple that invited us to dine with them.  Wife had some kind of disorder and kept re-buttering her breadsticks after every bite.  That evening took over three hours.

We also had the braggadocious loudmouthed guy at the table next to us trying to impress two girls he was seated with that kept droning on and on about himself.  When he told them he was a pathologist, I said to my wife, yes, a pathological liar! 😁  

• Haha 1

My first cruise was in my early 20s and I went solo. I knew nothing about cruising except what I saw on The Love Boat. I had no idea that pretty much no one goes solo especially back then. For dinner, they told me they'd put me at the "singles" table. It was a bunch of guy friends who were traveling together and a bunch of gal friends traveling together. And me. And some other guy also traveling solo. 

The two groups of singles got along and started hanging out. The other solo traveler seemed to think we should group up too but he wasn't my type and I was busy with the piano player in the Jazz bar. LOL

Anyway, I had a good time -- that piano player was cute and there was a ballroom dance group on board so I had plenty of people to dance with -- and dining with a bunch of strangers was fine. Until it wasn't. Near the end of the cruise, there was drama between the women over one of the guys in the Rock band. Or something. All I know is there was a lot of yelling and stomping of feet and leaving the dining room in a huff.

I found it pretty entertaining, tbh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

My first cruise was in my early 20s and I went solo. I knew nothing about cruising except what I saw on The Love Boat. I had no idea that pretty much no one goes solo especially back then. For dinner, they told me they'd put me at the "singles" table. It was a bunch of guy friends who were traveling together and a bunch of gal friends traveling together. And me. And some other guy also traveling solo. 

The two groups of singles got along and started hanging out. The other solo traveler seemed to think we should group up too but he wasn't my type and I was busy with the piano player in the Jazz bar. LOL

Anyway, I had a good time -- that piano player was cute and there was a ballroom dance group on board so I had plenty of people to dance with -- and dining with a bunch of strangers was fine. Until it wasn't. Near the end of the cruise, there was drama between the women over one of the guys in the Rock band. Or something. All I know is there was a lot of yelling and stomping of feet and leaving the dining room in a huff.

I found it pretty entertaining, tbh.

You sound like fun to cruise with. See you in January

• Like 2

I've tried searching topics and reading half of this thread and can't find an answer to this.  Hopefully someone knows :) If you have Premier and book a specialty restaurant now, is there no charge for the first two? Or do you get charged and then have to go to Passenger Services onboard or something?

12 hours ago, palolake said:

I've tried searching topics and reading half of this thread and can't find an answer to this.  Hopefully someone knows 🙂 If you have Premier and book a specialty restaurant now, is there no charge for the first two? Or do you get charged and then have to go to Passenger Services onboard or something?

The app is not supposed to charge you for the first two but its a bit hit and miss. I was charged for my second reservation and I got a refund via UK customer services live chat. It was a bit challenging and took 2 weeks and several contacts to get it sorted.