Hotel Recommendation Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro, World Cruise Terminal.

Tony O

5 hours ago, Tony O said:

Thanks $150 or so 

If you book the Crowne Plaza or DoubleTree San Perdo right now for your cruise, you might get one for that price before taxes. If you wait other cruisers will start booking and drive the rate on the night before the cruise up.

Other than that you are looking at the Best Western Plus San Pedro Hotel & Suites, which isn't a great location.

We stayed at the Doubletree before our last pre-pandemic cruise back in January 2020.  We'll be staying at the Crowne Plaza prior to our October cruise on the Majestic Princess.

For us, these are the only two San Pedro hotels I would stay at.  Some people choose the Best Western--which does get decent reviews--but, it is not at a really great location--not close to any worthwhile restaurants or to the waterfront.  It is on a very busy street near where the 110 freeway dumps out into San Pedro.  Most eateries nearby are fast food and the immediate surrounding area is quite unattractive.

The Doubletree, IMHO, is the most attractive and upscale hotel in the area--fronting the marina...Parking is easy for those of us driving there.  There is really only one good dinner house nearby--the 22nd Street Landing...Sea Food...but the hotel will shuttle you to other San Pedro restaurants.

The Crowne Plaza is nice, but a little older...but located in the heart of San Pedro.  Walking distance to the cruise terminal (about three blocks) for those of us so inclined.  Lots of restaurant choices within 1-3 blocks of the hotel (I like the San Pedro Brewing Co., about half a block away...Green Onion is a good choice for Mexican...lots of others)...

We got a great rate for the CP this time ($149 plus tax for a Park and Cruise deal--which is sort of like paying for parking for the week and getting a room for the price of the hotel tax)--but we booked some time ago...I think rates have gone up...they always do as we get closer to the date.  Last time, I got the Doubletree solely on Hilton Points.

Our room and view at Doubletree:

830290143_RoomatDoubletree.jpg.f60ef9b9604868f5dfa56767ddc8fbd9.jpg

58978149_ViewfromDoubletree.JPG.cf8d50a1c1d67b8662318e2937e77709.JPG

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you book the Crowne Plaza or DoubleTree San Perdo right now for your cruise, you might get one for that price before taxes. If you wait other cruisers will start booking and drive the rate on the night before the cruise up.

Other than that you are looking at the Best Western Plus San Pedro Hotel & Suites, which isn't a great location.

Got the Crown Plaza for $140

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

And the Crowne Plaza San Pedro is only about three blocks from the pier...I have walked it before.

Is there a a convenience store, CVS, Walgreens or drug store within walking distance 3-4 blocks?   We need to pick up some soda & water or does Crowne Plaza have a gift shop or store in the hotel? 

Edited by Lorey2007

50 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Is there a a convenience store, CVS, Walgreens or drug store within walking distance 3-4 blocks?   We need to pick up some soda & water or does Crowne Plaza have a gift shop or store in the hotel? 

There's a CVS at 8th and Gaffey and a Rite Aid at 5th and Gaffey...both about 4 blocks from the CP...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

Is there a a convenience store, CVS, Walgreens or drug store within walking distance 3-4 blocks?   

There is 7 Days Food Store, at 304 7th, a Mom & Pop 7-11 style store.   That's about .25 miles from the front door of the Plaza.  Also Numero Uno Market at 500 S Pacific, a grocery store, almost .5 miles.   There used to be a very nice wine store at 6th and Pacific, but I don't see it on the map any more.  Try the San Pedro Brewing Company, Niko's Pizza, San Pedro Cafe, and the Green Onion when you get hungry. 

All closer than CVS and Walgreens

Edited by KreinKrunker

I actually prefer to stay in Long Beach, because there's more to do, including a marina, beach, and seaport village. Before Covid, there was a $10 bus that went from LAX to downtown Long Beach, and a free public bus that went around the downtown area and even to the Carnival port. Long Beach also has an airport with Southwest connections, which I take to avoid LAX. There's even a public bus that goes from downtown to San Pedro, and I think I had to walk a few blocks to get to the cruise terminal. Long Beach also has a Ralph's supermarket and a good variety of restaurants and convenience stores, so it's easy to pick up stuff before a cruise. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I know it has been a while since anyone commented on this thread, but I really enjoyed reading it and others about hotels in Long Beach.  We are cruising in early 2023 and I was getting concerned about being on higher capacity cruises lately, so I thought we better book a hotel "sooner than later".  So, I just booked the Crowne Plaza with a park & cruise package - mainly based on the recommendations here.   When compared with the $23/day parking at the terminal, it was a better deal for us - including, knowing that our car should be safer parked in the CP parking garage.    So, thanks to everyone who has commented on hotels & parking out of Long Beach - we really appreciated the info, especially being from Texas and usually sailing out of Galveston.  Take care and happy cruising - from any port!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DPTexas said:

... We are cruising in early 2023 and I was getting concerned about being on higher capacity cruises lately, so I thought we better book a hotel "sooner than later".  So, I just booked the Crowne Plaza with a park & cruise package...

On which ship will you be sailing?  It looks, from your posting history, like you are a regular Carnival cruiser.

Be aware that Carnival sails from its own terminal on the Long Beach side of the harbor and the Crowne Plaza is in San Pedro--on the other side of the harbor.  If you are on Carnival, it is not entirely unreasonable to stay in San Pedro...but you will have an approximately six mile Uber (or other) ride from the CP to your ship...and the same back to get your car at the end of your cruise.

If you are driving in (sounds like it since youy booked te "Park & Cruise"), no great problems because you'll have your car and can go anywhere if you arrive early...and there are a lot of good restaurant choices very near the CP...but you will need that ride back and forth to the ship.  And, again, it's not that far--six miles--so an Uber or even a taxi will be fairly inexpensive...but know the hotel shuttle from the CP only goes to the San Pedro terminal--not Long Beach. 

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

On which ship will you be sailing?  It looks, from your posting history, like you are a regular Carnival cruiser.

Be aware that Carnival sails from its own terminal on the Long Beach side of the harbor and the Crowne Plaza is in San Pedro--on the other side of the harbor.  If you are on Carnival, it is not entirely unreasonable to stay in San Pedro...but you will have an approximately six mile Uber (or other) ride from the CP to your ship...and the same back to get your car at the end of your cruise.

If you are driving in (sounds like it since youy booked te "Park & Cruise"), no great problems because you'll have your car and can go anywhere if you arrive early...and there are a lot of good restaurant choices very near the CP...but you will need that ride back and forth to the ship.  And, again, it's not that far--six miles--so an Uber or even a taxi will be fairly inexpensive...but know the hotel shuttle from the CP only goes to the San Pedro terminal--not Long Beach. 

Bruin Steve, thank you for your comments and suggestions.  This is our first west coast cruise having left from SC and TX for our previous cruises.   We are cruising on the Carnival Panorama and planning to Uber or taxi from the CP to the Carnival side of the harbor because we especially like to "park and cruise" for longer cruises.  I was having trouble finding same/similar in LB, so thought it best to get a hotel and transport to the ship.  I tried booking the Hotel Maya, but they had no availability for our dates.  I might keep looking since my numerous hotel memberships give me free cancellation options.  However, feeling so "out of the water" departing from LA/LB, by hearing from you that this is do-able is a relief and great news.  So, "thank you", again.   

Take care and happy cruising.  

3 hours ago, mom23guys said:

Looking at a Princess cruise leaving from Los Angeles. Would that be actually Long Beach, San Pedro or somewhere else. Never left from the West Coast. before so Im lost.

Should be San Pedro for a Princess cruise.

3 hours ago, mom23guys said:

Looking at a Princess cruise leaving from Los Angeles. Would that be actually Long Beach, San Pedro or somewhere else. Never left from the West Coast. before so Im lost.

Every cruise line EXCEPT Carnival embarks and disembarks from the World Cruise Center in San Pedro.  Carnival embarks and disembarks from its own terminal in Long Beach.  The only exceptions are that, occasionally, another Carnival owned cruise line will use the Long Beach facility for a port day on a cruise that begins and ends elsewhere.  The Long Beach Facility has only one berth.

Any Princess cruise beginning at Los Angeles will embark at San Pedro--where there are multiple berths--though just two at the main site...a third auxiliary berth is located further down the channel and used only when there are more than two ships in port.San Pedro is located about 20 miles South of LAX.  There are two very good hotels there--the Crowne Plaza (close to the pier) and the Doubletree.  Long Beach has several hotels but is located about 6-8 miles East of San Pedro, across the harbor.  For those staying multiple days and wishing to sightsee, I recommend staying elsewhere--best location is Santa Monica, a few miles north of LAX though some like to stay in Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Universal City or elsewhere.  Disney is in the other direction, considerably southeast of the harbor in Anaheim.

• Like 1

Princess is out of San Pedro and San Pedro is now down to two hotels I'd recommend; the Crowne Plaza and DoubleTree San Pedro. The only other place I ever recommended was the Best Western San Pedro, for those looking for more of a "value" hotel, but it is closed now.

If the San Pedro hotels are booked, I'll probably recommend Downtown Long Beach (6 miles) or Torrance (10 miles).