Hint - Switching Devices if you signed up for internet plan that only allows one device

Smokeyham

Hi,

Here is something that I learned about halfway through our cruise.  If you sign up for an internet plan on HAL that only allows for one device at a time then there are ways to switch which device is active.

1. If you are switching cell phones, or from your laptop to a cell phone - go to the Navigator app and go the internet connection page in the App.  When you attempt to connect it will ask if you want to disconnect the other device.  Tell it that you wish to do so and it will connect your new device.

2.  If you want to connect a laptop and were previously using another laptop or a cell phone.  First, connect to the on board wifi.  Then type in "navigator.hollandamerica.com" in your browser.  Similar to the above, this will take you to a page that will ask if you want to disconnect your prior connected device.  Staff at the customer services desk said that the preferred browser is Chrome.

FYI....  Our experience, and that of many others on the cruises to Alaska has been very slow and sporadic internet service.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Hi,

Here is something that I learned about halfway through our cruise.  If you sign up for an internet plan on HAL that only allows for one device at a time then there are ways to switch which device is active.

1. If you are switching cell phones, or from your laptop to a cell phone - go to the Navigator app and go the internet connection page in the App.  When you attempt to connect it will ask if you want to disconnect the other device.  Tell it that you wish to do so and it will connect your new device.

2.  If you want to connect a laptop and were previously using another laptop or a cell phone.  First, connect to the on board wifi.  Then type in "navigator.hollandamerica.com" in your browser.  Similar to the above, this will take you to a page that will ask if you want to disconnect your prior connected device.  Staff at the customer services desk said that the preferred browser is Chrome.

FYI....  Our experience, and that of many others on the cruises to Alaska has been very slow and sporadic internet service.   

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering how I would switch from iphone to laptop. 

it is interesting that they say Chome is the preferred browser since connecting through the app takes you to Bing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boytjie said:

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering how I would switch from iphone to laptop. 

it is interesting that they say Chome is the preferred browser since connecting through the app takes you to Bing. 

Peter, that would depend on your device settings. Navigator does not know which browsers you have available and just uses the default

6 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Hi,

Is it the same thing if I want to switch from my IPhone to my IPad?  

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Couple of cruises ago DW & I 'shared' an internet plan.  I discovered very quickly to advise her if I intended to 'drop' her internet connection and connect my phone.   😱😇

We have always done that, too.  I usually buy the internet first, and if Pat wants to use it he has to log out of the Navigator as himself, and then log in again as me, and then he can bump my device off and get on the internet himself.  

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2021 at 7:47 AM, Vict0riann said:

We have always done that, too.  I usually buy the internet first, and if Pat wants to use it he has to log out of the Navigator as himself, and then log in again as me, and then he can bump my device off and get on the internet himself.  

Thank  you so so much for the tip on how to switch between phones.  We were going crazy trying to figure how to do this.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:47 AM, Vict0riann said:

Ditto. We do the same unless we get it included (which is rare).

Previously we only purchased one internet plan between us and switched users, as mentioned above.

This time we both had internet as part of HIA, so I took my laptop.  I found that I was able to connect my laptop to my phone (Dell to Samsung) using an USB cable and selecting 'USB Tethering' in the phone's settings.  This meant that I didn't have to change users every time I wanted to use internet on the laptop.

I did test a voice call between DW and my phone (when using USB tethering) and it worked.  But thinking it through afterwards I realised that we had both been in the stateroom and using wifi calling so it may have just been the ship's wifi that allowed the phone call.

On 8/16/2021 at 1:53 AM, Boytjie said:

Chrome is the application (Internet Browser), Bing is the search engine - Apples & Oranges

• 1 year later...