Sorry…another cheers tipping question

Razor_Poke

1 hour ago, wardwhitty said:

Does anyone know how tips are allocated? For instance if we charge to the room are they added and split amongst the servers on shift at that time?  Will cash tips go directly to the individual server ?

I believe the breakdown was listed somewhere on the Carnival website at some point, but I can't find it.

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Yet there are people who are spring loaded to grab a hand full of cash and toss it around at the slightest provocation. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Must be an endorphin rush for them. 

Or...if I drink 10 drinks a day for a seven day cruise, and I tip $1 per drink, I have spent $70 to ensure friendly (and probably better) service and to reward the bar staff for the work they do.  My choice to be a friendly customer.  YMMV, clearly.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

Oh man, gotta love the "patting themselves on the back" folks that love to come on the forum to brag about how much of an "angel" they are for tipping beyond the prepaid gratuities.  Many of them also love to look down on those "devils" that have the "audacity" to not tip after every drink.  

Those halos must feel heavy on their heads.

Tipping is a matter of personal choice.  No one is OBGLIGATED to tip beyond what is already auto added to the price of the drinks.  

Also, prepaid gratuities is just that...PREPAID, meaning that tips are ALREADY included.  This is Carnival's way of helping you tip without HAVING to add anything more.  If you choose to add more, ain't nothing wrong with that either; to each his/her own. 

I wish people would find something better to do with their life than trying to shame others that don't think like them.  It's one of the biggest problems in this country today.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

We always include the prepaid gratuities on our cruises.  Just makes it easier, plus it also goes to those who work behind the scenes that we may never see.   However, I am trying to find out if extra cash tips go to the server or into a tip pool?  I can't find this specific question answered.    I usually tip $1-$2 extra for drinks (non-alcoholic and bottled water) to servers and wonder if they keep them or if it goes into a tip pool.  I figure the extra cash tips near the end of the cruise for the MDR servers and room steward are theirs to keep, but wondering about the drink servers.  Do they keep these cash tips for themselves?  Thanks, in advance, for any answers.   

Take care and happy cruising!!! 

2 hours ago, DPTexas said:

We always include the prepaid gratuities on our cruises.  Just makes it easier, plus it also goes to those who work behind the scenes that we may never see.   However, I am trying to find out if extra cash tips go to the server or into a tip pool?  I can't find this specific question answered.    I usually tip $1-$2 extra for drinks (non-alcoholic and bottled water) to servers and wonder if they keep them or if it goes into a tip pool.  I figure the extra cash tips near the end of the cruise for the MDR servers and room steward are theirs to keep, but wondering about the drink servers.  Do they keep these cash tips for themselves?  Thanks, in advance, for any answers.   

Take care and happy cruising!!! 

It all depends.  Some of the bars will have a tip jar that all of the cash tips go into and the bartenders split.   At Alchemy, I have seen the mixologists pocket the cash.  If you want the person who served you to get the tip, add it to the slip, it will be added to your sail n sign.  If you set your account up with discounted gift cards, you'll also save a minimum of 10%.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:15 PM, Elaine5715 said:

The CHEERS receipt does NOT show a recommended gratuity amount.  The 18% on a full price CHEERS package works out to be about $9 per day will would be spread over all beverages ordered a day.  On a typical day, I had three bottles of water, three lattes,  8 alcoholic beverages.  If I did not add extra, I would have tipped 68 cents per drink under the CHEERS program.  I always add $1 

I think about it the same way as shown here. I have PAID an 18 percent gratuity in the first fifty dollars of drinks when buying the plan but typically my bill would have been around one hundred dollars for drinks without the plan so, in a sense, the staff has only be tipped half of usual, plus I usually tip twenty percent not eighteen. For that reason I add an additional dollar or two or even more to each drink I order based on effort involved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2021 at 12:52 AM, Jacble1214 said:

How much extra would you tip your cabin steward?  

Unless I make a request of the steward we rarely tip extra. Often telling the steward to just swap out towels as we rarely bring food or drink back to the room and keep the room tidy for our own enjoyment. Asking for ice or toher requests does bring out an extra tip for them.

$1 per drink, drink package or not.