Do I really need to bring a jacket for dinner?

Elkins45

I've never sailed on MSC so I don't know what to expect. We usually just skip formal nights altogether simply because I can get by with a carry-on if I don't need to pack dress shoes, etc. Can I get by with a collared shirt and jeans, or do I need dress pants and shoes? Do I need a sport coat? Tie?

I really hate to play dress up on vacation just to be admitted into the dining room.

I hate to pack for dress up too.  After many sailings and observations, no issues at all with a nice shirt and pants.  Jeans might be pushing it but I doubt they would kick you out.

Jacket and tie are definitely not required.

I love posts on this topic.

Dress how you want.

To each their own.

Live and let live.

That said,, I'm firmly in the old school camp. For our February cruise,, I'll bring:

Tuxedo.

Dinner jacket.

Special tux for Elegant Night.

My wife really appreciates the extra effort on my part.

• Like 9

We’ll since I pack for both of us and DH just shows up (and asks if I remembered to pack his socks🙄), ONE time I forgot to pack his socks…I told him he’s free to pack his entire suitcase (but I probably wouldn’t want to be seen with him if he did) because it would be shorts and his assortment of sports team t shirts (see my profile pic) lol

So yes I do pack him a pair of dress pants, sports jacket and a couple of shirts and ties for shorter cruises and for longer ones I bring a suit or tux or both. 
I like to dress up, cocktail dress, heals etc and it you pack right you can still get all of that stuff in a smaller suitcase 

Think roll and vacuum packed 😉

Edited by styles27
Spelling
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

You misunderstand him. He’s asking if you remembered to pack his SOX. He wants all those sports t-shirts 

After 38 yrs together you’d think I’d know the guy but I think you just nailed it! 🤣

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

On behalf of my mother, I’ll say yes, you should bring a jacket. It might be chilly and you don't want to catch a cold. 

Taking care of yourself is very important these days. Its good that there are people still around you care about you and who can always motivate you to take a better care of yourself. I wish all mothers in the world health

On 9/22/2021 at 2:09 PM, zekekelso said:

You misunderstand him. He’s asking if you remembered to pack his SOX. He wants all those sports t-shirts 

Please do not go there. I only bring one pair of black socks to wear with my dress shows. On one cruise I had only one sock in the suitcase. So I wore none. Never do that again. As for a jacket or suit. A few years back when a suit was the norm. I got to our room and realized I left the suit in the car. Close to the end time for boarding. I got off ran to the parking lot which was not close. So I am so happy no more suit. Every evening, whether casual or elegant. I always wear a nice collard dress shirt, nice pants and dress shoes. 

• Like 1

We found on our cruises in the MSC Yacht Club dining room that 'elegant night' broadly participated in by many, yet consisting of sport coats or coat and ties for men.  Those not participating were generally high end business or resort casual.  There were few in jeans, but they were also generally in good condition.  Women appeared mostly in dresses or pantsuits, very few gowns.  Actually, Tuxes for men and Gowns for women appeared to be generally associated with an event on board such as a wedding, anniversary, etc.  

We also enjoyed the "theme nights" on MSC.  I don't know what the current "themes" are or if such is still a continued practice but we recall some to the effect as "White Night," "60's, 70's, 80's Night" and a "Tropical Night."  The dining room was decorated (flowers, carvings, etc.) and linens were decked out for each theme.

We also recall what we thought was Italian Night with Italy's flags and colors?